Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Pucovski's numbers this summer:

1005 - the number of minutes before he was dismissed this season.
733 - the number of balls he's faced this season.
672 - the number of runs he and Marcus Harris have scored in 2 opening partnerships.
457 - the number of runs Pucovski scored between dismissals: the most since the late Dean Jones in 1994/95.
56.06 - Pucovski's first class batting average, just 22 games into his career.
46.73 - the percentage of Victoria's total runs, scored by Pucovski.
8 - the number of batsmen who have scored double centuries in consecutive Sheffield Shield matches: Pucovski is the first man to do it this century.
6 - the number of first class centuries he's scored: 3 of those have been double hundreds.
4 - the number of new balls he saw off this summer, before being dismissed.

The kid is something special.

SA lost 3/2 to go down by 62 runs. The problem with the Redbacks is that most of the effort with the bat seems to come in the second innings and as a result we are fighting for survival rather than setting the pace.

It also doesn't help when our attack cannot buy a wicket for long spells. We had Queensland 3/139 but they finished with 5/496 and that says a fair bit. As plenty have posted Dizzy has a lot of work to do.

Two years ago David Warner was poison but now he is being consulted on who opens the batting. What happens if he says no?

On Wil Pucovski's possible selection Trevor Hohns had this to say,

“It’s important (David Warner) is comfortable as well, provided we are of course, with the person he opens with. We certainly do consult players on such issues.”

I would have thought after his antics in Capetown David Warner would have forfeited any right to a comfort zone. Steve Smith cannot Captain Australia but the ringleader in the whole sordid affair gets a say on who he bats with.

The commentary in the SEVEN/Foxtel coverage of the WBBL is simply atrocious. I do not know much about many of the overseas players and I am not likely to find out from a third rate TV commentary. These lightweight commentators are more interested in idle banter than actually commenting on what is happening out on the field. When a player hits a waist high full toss to fielder that is a terrible shot from a terrible delivery and that is how it should be called- not a great effort from a bowler playing in her first game. Then again there was the comment in today's Stars v renegades game , this has gone straight up in the air and all the way for six. If the ball goes straight up in the air how is it a six?

We consistently get player interviews super imposed over the play as well as split screen shots of the commentators sitting in their plush chairs sharing a private joke. At times you wonder who the real stars are, the players in the middle or the so called experts sitting in their plush chairs. Even if you hit the mute button you still have to put up with the distraction of watching these w***ers. Another annoying aspect is the time fillers in the FOXTEL coverage while SEVEN, who take the same feed, cut to an add break. Today we were listening to ABBA over the ground's PA system while SEVEN ran a couple of ads, surely it is possible to continue some commentary for those who are paying to watch the coverage?

SEVEN, which has made a big deal about the standard of the BBL competition would do well to look to their own standards. Hopefully the coverage of the Tests is an improvement.

I am a dinosaur I know but geez I long for the days of Benaud, Chappell, Lawry and Greig.

Last edited:
Cricket NZ should send these guys home. Testing positive is bad luck but breaking quarantine is bad behaviour and irresponsible.

Two years ago David Warner was poison but now he is being consulted on who opens the batting. What happens if he says no?

On Wil Pucovski's possible selection Trevor Hohns had this to say,

“It’s important (David Warner) is comfortable as well, provided we are of course, with the person he opens with. We certainly do consult players on such issues.”

I would have thought after his antics in Capetown David Warner would have forfeited any right to a comfort zone. Steve Smith cannot Captain Australia but the ringleader in the whole sordid affair gets a say on who he bats with.
Well last night changes things somewhat - I very much doubt that Warner will be playing in the Adelaide Test, and could be touch and go for Boxing Day. So surely Pucovski will make his Test debut in Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we sure they are not playing on someones back lawn? That has to be the greenest track I have ever seen. Surely someone has photo shopped this?

New Zealand's 1/99 is not too bad considering that pitch.

I think the angle, that the pic is taken at, makes it look greener than it is. But it is bloody green.

This concerns a Sarth Efrican player (at this stage), but Big Bash teams with any players currently involved in the RSA-Eng series may be getting a bit nervous...

South Africa-England ODI called off amid Covid scare

The first ODI between South Africa and England in Cape Town has been called off, less than an hour before the toss.

ESPNcricinfo understands that the postponement relates to positive Covid-19 tests within the South Africa camp, amid suggestions that protocols were breached during the T20I series.

All players and support staff are set to undergo another round of tests on Friday afternoon, in the hope of starting the series on Sunday.

A CSA statement said: "This decision results from a player from the Proteas team testing positive for Covid-19 after the teams' last round of scheduled testing performed on Thursday ahead of the ODIs.

"In the interests of the safety and well-being of both teams, match officials and all involved in the match, the acting CEO of CSA, Kugandrie Govender as well as the CEO of the ECB, Tom Harrison, have agreed to postpone the first fixture to Sunday."

The news emerged as the England team bus arrived at Newlands to begin their preparations for the match, whereupon the players immediately returned to the teams' bio-secure base at Cape Town's Vineyard hotel.

A contingent of South Africa players and support staff later arrived for a short net, including David Miller and Andile Phehlukwayo, who are understood to have been the two players who had previously tested positive for Covid-19. Both were keen to increase their workloads after missing the T20I series, however, they were soon instructed to return to the team hotel by CSA.

CSA and the ECB now hope to stage the three games on Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. The first game will take place at Paarl, with the second and third fixtures under lights at Newlands in Cape Town.

The first T20 ended in controversy. For once I am on Justin Langer's side and I do not blame him for being upset at David Boon's decision. It will not do any good but I think Australia should lodge a formal complaint about the Match Referee's decision to allow a team to substitute a player who was obviously injured prior to the head knock and why the player was not examined by a doctor on the field at the end of the over. Last over or not the rules are the rules and should be followed.

Australia with 11 men were beaten by India who effectively played with 12. No one can say, 'those are the rules' because the rules were clearly not followed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back