Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bdsh a/o 221 in the end with Lyon bagging 6/82, leaving Aus a target of 265. 2 early wickets (Renshaw 5, Khawaja 1) had them in the poo at 2/28, but Warner is playing a blinder, well supported by Smith and on 2/109 (Warner 75no, Smith 25no) they (should) have this one in the bag with just another 156 required and two days to get them :thumbsu:

Bit like when the Zimbo's beat us at the 1983 world cup. Great for world cricket bad for us. I wonder if Smith comes under as much pressure as Kim Hugbe did? After that disaster we played the Windies in 10 consecutive tests. Smith won't be facing that sort of pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good result for cricket, and let's face it, it's nowhere near as bad as losing to the `to and froms.' :rolleyes:
Yeah but the Ashes start in less than 3 months. Even though the series is in Australia, are we good enough to win? I have my doubts.

Losing to Bangladesh at home is no disgrace any more, but that was a thoroughly underwhelming performance on Asian soil again.

Shakib has been one hell of a player for a number of years now. Leaves all of our spinners in the shade and yet is a gun bat too! Hasn't had many chances to play against Australia so good to see him prove a point.

I guess minor positive to take out of the match was the promising returns of Cummins and Agar.

With our barrage of fast bowlers, plus Aussie conditions I'm confident Phil. ;)
I think the bowling is fine: we should be able to bowl the Poms out for reasonable scores on a regular basis. But our top 6 worries me, and I don't believe Wade is the answer at 7. My question is, can we make enough runs to consistently put England under pressure?

I think the bowling is fine: we should be able to bowl the Poms out for reasonable scores on a regular basis. But our top 6 worries me, and I don't believe Wade is the answer at 7. My question is, can we make enough runs to consistently put England under pressure?

The opening batsmen and Smith should be no problem, Khawajah at 3 has been disappointing, which is a shame, because against pace bowling he has just about the best technique of any of the Aussie players.
Maxwell and Hanscombe will be better under our conditions, and there is always a chance other batsmen will put their hand up from the shield comp.
Agreed re Wade, average keeper, and unreliable with the bat, but there is no guarantee he will hold his place.

Root is probably the key to the pom batsmen doing well, and with the Aussie's history of targeting the oppo skipper, I expect he will face a fair bit of `unsociable ' bowling. :rolleyes:

The opening batsmen and Smith should be no problem, Khawajah at 3 has been disappointing, which is a shame, because against pace bowling he has just about the best technique of any of the Aussie players.
Maxwell and Hanscombe will be better under our conditions, and there is always a chance other batsmen will put their hand up from the shield comp.
Agreed re Wade, average keeper, and unreliable with the bat, but there is no guarantee he will hold his place.

Root is probably the key to the pom batsmen doing well, and with the Aussie's history of targeting the oppo skipper, I expect he will face a fair bit of `unsociable ' bowling. :rolleyes:
I've noticed of late that Root is becoming another Shane Watson. He gets to 50 on a regular basis, but then rarely gets to triple figures. Hopefully that continues in Australia :).

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20519334/armed-police-called-oval-arrow-fired-outfield

Armed police were called to the final day of Surrey versus Middlesex in the County Championship after a crossbow bolt was fired onto the field, abandoning play on the afternoon of the fourth day.
Police believe the 12-inch long metal-tipped bolt travelled around 800 metres before coming to ground about ten yards from the pitch. The incident took place at 4.20pm, during the 69th over of Middlesex's second innings.
The Metropolitan Police believe the bolt was fired from outside the ground, though they are unsure as to whether the bolt was fired deliberately or whether it was targeted at The Oval. They have, at this stage, stated that the incident is not being treated as terrorism related.
Surrey's captain Gareth Batty, who was fielding 25-yards away from where the arrow landed, said: "It was a pretty tasty arrow with a proper metal end. I did archery as a kid and that was not a normal archery arrow. The umpires dealt with it very well. There were no questions asked - we went off very quickly.

Seems they aren't sure whether it was a deliberate act either, how do you fire a crossbow accidentally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back