Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think the bom have absolutely NFI, bit like our state government in building roads, and tram line extensions, and bridges
There are warnings of flash flooding in SA but none for the inner metropolitan area. Looks like the worst we can expect for the test may be the odd rain delay which could be made up with an earlier start on the next day.

"The State Emergency Service is readying for rainfall that may exceed 100mm in some areas and has sandbags on offer on Thursday evening to guard properties against flooding at its Campbelltown, Northfield, Lynton and Mount Barker sites.
The SES have already been required to provide sandbags to flash flooding in areas as far apart as Berri and Christie Downs."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...y/news-story/3cd61fb76c402ce81ece6afc330919f1

Last edited:

that's an impressive crowd

I'm glad to see test match cricket is still going strong!

I was thinking today how much potential test cricket has if only two conditions are met:

1) All or the majority of tests are day/night pink ball tests like the Adelaide Oval test.

2) We find a way to piss off the minnow countries from our summer schedule and just play England/India/South Africa on a rotating basis.

Test cricket is still a great product but not when it's played against the West Indies on a Tuesday afternoon in Hobart.

The village green area behind the western stand holds 8,000. There would be people who watch about 2 overs and spend the rest of the game in the village green.

So a lock out crowd could be 60k inside the stadium gates. There would probably have been 10,000 people who attended half the game, some just in the day time some just in the night time.

I suspect anything around 300 will be a good first innings score for the Aussies, and it will be interesting to see how the poms cope with Starc and co when it's their time to bat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally after years of looking I have found what the record crowd for the whole test was for the 1932-33 Bodyline test. Its easy to find the record day attendance of 50,962 but never see the whole test figure. This story from a website I've never heard of before The Lead, News leads from South Australia

http://theleadsouthaustralia.com.au...odyline-bar-captures-mood-bygone-cricket-era/
Coincidentally, the record for the biggest test match cricket attendance at Adelaide Oval – 50,962 – was set during the Bodyline Test in 1933. That record is expected to be broken this weekend. The Bodyline Test also holds the Adelaide Oval attendance record of 172,361 across the five days of a test.

The ashes test of 2013-14 when the new AO was nearly completed, but only about 5,000 in the ground level of the eastern stand were allowed in there, went 5 days but the 5th day only 14,000 people came in for 2 or 3 hours. The story linked below says the 2013-14 ashes test was the then 5th biggest crowd but didn't supply any info on the other 4 and apart from the info I found today on the Bodyline test I have never seen figures for those 4 tests.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/886339a2e4482880ee553d42e91919f6
With a boosted capacity despite much of the sprawling eastern stand yet to be finished, the five-day crowd of 153,800 was the fifth-biggest in Adelaide's Test history. Saturday's 36,414 was the most to watch a day's cricket at the ground since 1955.
Total crowd - 153,800
CROWD RECORDS
- Day three's 36,414 was the highest third-day attendance since 1955, and second-biggest crowd of any day since 1955.
- Day four's 33,754 was the best fourth-day crowd since 1937.
- Overall, the first time in Adelaide Test history that more than 30,000 have attended on four days of a match.
CATERING
- Record food and beverage revenue of $5 million.
- More than 612,000 food and beverage transactions.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/886339a2e4482880ee553d42e91919f6
That catering figure suggest the average purchase was about $9 when beer was $7.50 mid strength for the outer $8.50 for full strength in the members, $7 for a hotdog and $5 for a bottle of water.

Last edited:
Full marks to Shaun Marsh and Tim Paine. They answered their critics, myself included in the best possible fashion. If the Aussies can push it past 450 the Poms will have the job in front of them. Shaun Marsh standing tall is history repeating itself.

Pat Cummins is proving a Mitchell Johnson like foil in the lower order. Hopefully his efforts in Brisbane and again in this Test have scotched the rumours that the under performing Mitchell Marsh was in line for a recall.

I was thinking today how much potential test cricket has if only two conditions are met:

1) All or the majority of tests are day/night pink ball tests like the Adelaide Oval test.

2) We find a way to piss off the minnow countries from our summer schedule and just play England/India/South Africa on a rotating basis.

Test cricket is still a great product but not when it's played against the West Indies on a Tuesday afternoon in Hobart.

I can just imagine someone sprouting analogous short sighted rubbish when Port was at their least marketable though.

The game can't afford to close itself off to test cricket and become an exclusive domain. Need to keep on encouragement of the so called second tier nations with smart scheduling (ie. top end series at start of summer or for England/India equivalent tests in Ireland).

Anyway, what a pleasure to see Shaun Marsh shove it up the doubters again. He really hasn't let us down much at all in his later incarnations as an international cricketer.

Missing the stumps = not out.
I assume you'll take that attitude when England get a dodgy review.

But apart from this decision, ball-tracking is basically a guess. If goal-line reviews with a definite line can very rarely be overturned or confirmed with certainty, what chance does a machine have judging the bounce of a ball?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back