SparkleNarkle

Pobody's Nerfect
Oct 3, 2013
Krusty Burger
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
DJRTP, REN, MIA, UTA
The next PM wearing Australia’s World Cup jersey, I mean I get that he will have his own side so to speak with the PMXI but it’s not flattering.
Not something I've ever really though about, but do cricket shirts come in both Retail and PI form the same way footy jumpers do? Because if that's the exact same style (in terms of cut and shape) the players will wear, it looks very average

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jle101

Debutant
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Seems like a fair few countries are going for some kind of retro look time around. First Australia, and now England & Pakistan.

Pakistan's shirt looks downright uncomfortable.

TY24

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Mar 21, 2017
6056 gang gang
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Glory, Wildcats
Not something I've ever really though about, but do cricket shirts come in both Retail and PI form the same way footy jumpers do? Because if that's the exact same style (in terms of cut and shape) the players will wear, it looks very average
Nah I don’t think so, the test shirts have the players cap number and initials stitched into them but that’d be the only major difference. Pretty sure the white ball shirts are straight off the shelf with some numbers and a name slapped on.

That being said, all of the retail training gear comes without any sponsors logos so I could be wrong.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jle101

Debutant
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
That may very well be the case. ODI cricket doesn't seem to have the same gravitas it once had.

jle101

Debutant
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Favourite ODI shirts ever worn by each country...

Australia - Circa 1997 "venetian blinds" tri-series.

Bangladesh - Circa 2010 (Love that shade of green!)

England - Circa 1999 ODI series.

India - 1999 CWC shirt

New Zealand - 2001 shirt (original incarnation of the classic black strip with fern)

Pakistan - 2007 CWC shirt

South Africa - Circa 2005 - 2007

Sri Lanka - Circa 2002 Champions Trophy

West Indies - Circa 1992 "Lightning bolts"

Zimbabwe - 1998 Sharjah Cup tops (love that wacky design)

jle101

Debutant
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Continued...

Afghanistan - Circa 2015

Kenya - Circa 2011

Ireland - 2007 CWC

Netherlands - 2003 CWC

Scotland - 1999 CWC

jle101

Debutant
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Yeah, '92 had the best uniforms overall & I honestly love them to bits. Guess I was just mostly focussing on the post-96 World Cup era :)

Bwillow11

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
It's a heavily disjointed kit though, isn't it? Everything would be much better if the green was much darker, like the lettering.

On a whole, I'm quite disappointed at what England, Australia and South Africa have done with their kits. No matter the desire for retro-themed kits, the best ones are always those that utilise traditional colours. Australia in lime green? South Africa using pale green and no gold? England in sky blue?
Smaller nations like Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are leading the way in this world cup, which is disappointing as far as the big teams are concerned

chibimatty

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2010
Western Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA Cricket, Arsenal, Perth Demons
On a whole, I'm quite disappointed at what England, Australia and South Africa have done with their kits.
I agree, I think the execution is just a bit off the mark, it will be interesting to see what they look like on-field.
Pakistan looks like my favourite so far.

Freight Train

Single Fin aficionado.
Sep 12, 2015
The West
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cherries, Glory, Marítimo, Raptors
They really are utterly terrible - looks as if there was a designer who had a good idea, and then the manager and Cricket Australia wanted their ideas integrated and it just became a mess.

Also f**k me, that font is horrid.

I miss the 1995-2007 outfits. Gods, the jersey designs were strong then.

flamingEMBERS

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a heavily disjointed kit though, isn't it? Everything would be much better if the green was much darker, like the lettering.

On a whole, I'm quite disappointed at what England, Australia and South Africa have done with their kits. No matter the desire for retro-themed kits, the best ones are always those that utilise traditional colours. Australia in lime green? South Africa using pale green and no gold? England in sky blue?
Smaller nations like Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are leading the way in this world cup, which is disappointing as far as the big teams are concerned
There's also a serious lack of design element on ours.

Top Bottom