Workshop Cricket Kit Designs/Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think what I love about T20, and more specifically actually the Big Bash, is that there's a level of unpredictablity about it all and it's exciting enough that my non sporting mates and even my missus, who hates cricket, will sit down and enjoy it.

Plus I think you'll find the reason Perth fans maybe do get a bit more into it than everyone else, apart from our devout sense of us Vs. The rest of you, is that a majority of our team play for the Warriors so most of these guys, JL included, are actually representing WA and there's a level of respect in that.

I do agree that it's place on the international stage is questionable given at first it was supposed to just be a silly gimmick where we wore throwback 80s uniforms and had player nicknames on the back, but there's no doubt that T20 is a great form of entertainment.

I totally agree that T20 isn't as interesting as test cricket. But the BBL format means I had cricket on TV every night for 6 weeks. Good result.

Aggressive batting isn't an affront to test cricket. It's a part of the game. Only 6 of the fastest 20 test centuries were made this decade, with the second fastest from Viv Richards coming more than 30 years ago. Hayden and Langer were famous for putting opposition attacks on the back foot and scoring at 4 an over in the first session on day one. Sehwag was spanking opening bowlers around the park well before T20s were being played anywhere.

Having players in the side who can lift the run rate and put pressure back on the bowlers is incredibly valuable and always has been.

Then he's the only person in the thread doing so. The Scorchers are not the Warriors.
I'm quite aware that the Warriors and Scorchers are two different things, but what I said was in relativity to the lack of success by the Warriors in all forms of cricket in this millenium. My point was that purely WA cricket as a whole had struggled.

I can understand that. I loved watching tests and ODI's during the 2000's but I find as I get older, I get busier and I've barely been able to watch a full day of cricket in the past two years. The BBL has been great for me because I can sit down and watch an entire game. I think T20 cricket has made ODI's better as well. Scores of 350+ occur more frequently, which is great for the game. That said, one of my favourite things as a kid was watching Glenn McGrath hit the same spot every ball for 4-5 overs while Warney was wearing them down at the other end. Attacking cricket is the best form of cricket on both sides of the ball.
But what happens when the opposition side cannot keep up with the 7RRR? It becomes boring very quickly. You lose wickets too quickly and the game is all but over. In Test cricket, you've always got the next innings to catch up, and you are still in the game.

Yes, it was always good to watch McGrath bowl. But Starc, and in my opinion Johnson, are not like this. And Warne kept ripping them in. Lyon is going to struggle in India next month, and Australia will be in desperate need of a spinner that can bowl 25-30 overs a day while you have Kohli and Rahane at the end end making runs. You are not going to find bowlers like this soon.

I totally agree that T20 isn't as interesting as test cricket. But the BBL format means I had cricket on TV every night for 6 weeks. Good result.

Aggressive batting isn't an affront to test cricket. It's a part of the game. Only 6 of the fastest 20 test centuries were made this decade, with the second fastest from Viv Richards coming more than 30 years ago. Hayden and Langer were famous for putting opposition attacks on the back foot and scoring at 4 an over in the first session on day one. Sehwag was spanking opening bowlers around the park well before T20s were being played anywhere.

Having players in the side who can lift the run rate and put pressure back on the bowlers is incredibly valuable and always has been.
By the way, I'm also against Day Night Tests. The prime time nature of the BBL is the only thing that it has going for it. Play the games at 10am in the morning and you are not going to get the same viewership, because people have work and school.

3 of the top 4 fastest centuries are from this century. And you have to remember that cricket is slowly starting to favour the batters with the shorter boundaries, fielding restrictions, bigger bats. Viv was a once in a generation player, having one off players like this is good, but having a whole team is not good.

And this is leading to a new generation of players and kids in school now that are going to try and emulate players like Maxwell and continue to reserve sweep the ball, losing the classic version of the game altogether.

By the way, I'm also against Day Night Tests. The prime time nature of the BBL is the only thing that it has going for it. Play the games at 10am in the morning and you are not going to get the same viewership, because people have work and school.

3 of the top 4 fastest centuries are from this century. And you have to remember that cricket is slowly starting to favour the batters with the shorter boundaries, fielding restrictions, bigger bats. Viv was a once in a generation player, having one off players like this is good, but having a whole team is not good.

And this is leading to a new generation of players and kids in school now that are going to try and emulate players like Maxwell and continue to reserve sweep the ball, losing the classic version of the game altogether.

I'm totally for day night tests because it makes them easier to watch. The crowds tell the story. The pink ball is a minor disadvantage compared to the pitches that we see in modern cricket that are invariably doctored to suit the home team.

As for aggressive batting, even if I very generously give you 2007 and the start of the IPL the "T20 era", only 7 of the top 20 come from that time. I'd suggest T20 has only started to seriously impact batting styles in the last 5 years or so, and while players might reverse sweep a bit more, there has always been aggressive batting in test cricket.

More importantly than that, test cricket has continued to evolve in styles throughout it's existence. The reverse sweep isn't some sort of sport breaking nightmare, it's a small step in the constant evolution of the game.

I'm all for restricting bat sizes, but I think the shortening of boundaries via ropes has had more of an impact in increasing scoring rates.

Just saying im a die hard Stars member (since BBL02) and attend all their BBL and WBBL matches and Stars members events. i love the nature of t20 cricket. I would just hope CA takes ODI out of the international scedual so the BBL can have the best players playing (for the stars losing half their team its not fair- bloody Mark Waugh) and they also need to have DRS (Stars lost BBL final and would have won if they had DRS to give Khawajia out in BBL05). India can do it and have no internationals in the world on at that stage so why cant australia. How would India be feeling if MS Donhi and Varat Kohli couldnt play IPL because they were playing for Inda?

Just saying im a die hard Stars member (since BBL02) and attend all their BBL and WBBL matches and Stars members events. i love the nature of t20 cricket. I would just hope CA takes ODI out of the international scedual so the BBL can have the best players playing (for the stars losing half their team its not fair- bloody Mark Waugh) and they also need to have DRS (Stars lost BBL final and would have won if they had DRS to give Khawajia out in BBL05). India can do it and have no internationals in the world on at that stage so why cant australia. How would India be feeling if MS Donhi and Varat Kohli couldnt play IPL because they were playing for Inda?
I don't think Cricket Australia would get rid of ODIs for the benefit of the BBL, that would almost be like having a few less regular season games in the AFL so players can play in the SANFL/VFL/etc. And I'm pretty sure most of India would rather see their heroes representing the national team than IPL teams.

I'm totally for day night tests because it makes them easier to watch. The crowds tell the story. The pink ball is a minor disadvantage compared to the pitches that we see in modern cricket that are invariably doctored to suit the home team.

As for aggressive batting, even if I very generously give you 2007 and the start of the IPL the "T20 era", only 7 of the top 20 come from that time. I'd suggest T20 has only started to seriously impact batting styles in the last 5 years or so, and while players might reverse sweep a bit more, there has always been aggressive batting in test cricket.

More importantly than that, test cricket has continued to evolve in styles throughout it's existence. The reverse sweep isn't some sort of sport breaking nightmare, it's a small step in the constant evolution of the game.

I'm all for restricting bat sizes, but I think the shortening of boundaries via ropes has had more of an impact in increasing scoring rates.
Don't * with Test cricket. I don't care if they rating show something else. It should not change.

The BBL et al all started due to the success of the IPL. They are struggling to match the popularity.

The reverse sweep should stay in T20 cricket. I don't think it should be a consistent part of the game.

I agree with your last paragraph. But would like to see bigger boundaries; at some points, they are 10 metres in.

Don't **** with Test cricket. I don't care if they rating show something else. It should not change.

The idea that test cricket has been unchanged for a long time is silly. In 2017 we're using a 3rd umpire with hot spot and hawk eye, a review system, boundary ropes, helmets. They used to bowl 8 ball overs. Hell, at one point overarm bowling was introduced.

The BBL et al all started due to the success of the IPL. They are struggling to match the popularity.

The BBL is incredibly popular and is now televised around the world. Are you just arguing that India has a greater population? Because that's what it sounds like you're arguing.

The reverse sweep should stay in T20 cricket. I don't think it should be a consistent part of the game.

Unorthadox shots have been a part of the game as long as cricket has been a thing.

I agree with your last paragraph. But would like to see bigger boundaries; at some points, they are 10 metres in.

Agree totally. I get the safety aspect of moving fielders away from fences, but it's really disappointing when you see a rope 10m inside the fence. Look at the amount of sixes that are getting hit into the area beyond the rope but before the fence.

Just increase the number of tests, reduce the number of Odis and make t20's domestic. I would also make the world cup every 5 years and get sides playing alot of their Odis leading up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was fully of the belief that the big bash was 'hit and giggle' right up until I went to that NYE game a couple of years back. The noise and atmosphere that night was on a different level compared to any other cricket game I've been to.

While it's still only a few years old the BBL has set a very strong foundation for the future (particularly in ADL & PER) and will be what keeps cricket alive in 10-15 years time, kids don't care for test matches and ODI's anymore. While it may be uncomfortable for some, if the next generation are taking less of an interest in the long forms and there is a larger casual audience for the BBL, the schedule is going to reflect this, probably to the point where only the big guns (AUS, ENG, SAF & IND) are still going on test tours. If no one is going to rock up to day 4 of a dead rubber between Australia and the West Indies, then why put it on in the first place.

The idea that test cricket has been unchanged for a long time is silly. In 2017 we're using a 3rd umpire with hot spot and hawk eye, a review system, boundary ropes, helmets. They used to bowl 8 ball overs. Hell, at one point overarm bowling was introduced.
But all these additions were made to all three formats of the game. And I wouldnt be against no DRS, no ropes. However helmets is a must.
The BBL is incredibly popular and is now televised around the world. Are you just arguing that India has a greater population? Because that's what it sounds like you're arguing.
I agree that the popularity has increased since it's been televised on FTA. It's gotta compete International cricket and other sports. Whereas with the IPL, the whole country is focused on the event.
Unorthadox shots have been a part of the game as long as cricket has been a thing.
It's ruining the technique of future players. They need to learn the fundamentals first before trying to emulate these guys.

I agree that the popularity has increased since it's been televised on FTA. It's gotta compete International cricket and other sports. Whereas with the IPL, the whole country is focused on the event.
That's more a reflection of the countries rather than the league's themselves. What competes with Cricket in India?
It's ruining the technique of future players. They need to learn the fundamentals first before trying to emulate these guys.
The don't need to learn the fundamentals, but you never see Glenn Maxwell etc. hit reverse sweep every single ball. And how many kids play that shot every single ball? None.

That's more a reflection of the countries rather than the league's themselves. What competes with Cricket in India?

The don't need to learn the fundamentals, but you never see Glenn Maxwell etc. hit reverse sweep every single ball. And how many kids play that shot every single ball? None.
Apart from Kohli, all the current best batsmen like ABD, smith, root and even williams all have unorthodox techniques.

Hockey, Badminton, Kabaddi
That makes no sense at all.

What is everyone's opinion on expansion teams in the BBL? Wouldn't mind seeing two WA teams going at each other...
Will dilute the playing pool. With teams only having two Internationals (and one emergency) there would be too many Australian players which lowers the quality of the competition.

Will dilute the playing pool. With teams only having two Internationals (and one emergency) there would be too many Australian players which lowers the quality of the competition.

Two extra teams you need to find 22 extra playing XI players.

Let each team have 3 internationals instead of 2, that's 14 of your 22 players already sorted. Remove the overlap between ODIs and BBL and you'll probably end up with a better average standard than what you've got now.

Assuming the extra 14 internationals are decent quality (looking at replacement players from this season you had guys like Sodhi, Bresnan, Mills, Brathwaite and Munro come in so seems like enough available talent is there).

I think you could easily sustain 2 more teams... it's just whether you want a second team in Perth, Adelaide or Brisbane potentially diluting that market or whether you want a Canberra, Gold Coast or Cairns team to expose a new market. Also you need to work out whether there's room to schedule the extra games.

Add a second WA team - Fremantle
and a second QLD team - Gold Coast.
No need for double ups like in Melbourne/Sydney.
I would think that if an expansion took place they'd most likely expand into WA and SA instead of QLD. SA has a much greater cricket supporter base.

Also to add to the player problem. I'm not really big on this idea myself but if we had more BBL teams wouldn't it give more opportunities for younger players and give the Australian Squad a greater choice in selection?

Ultimately it follows the money. I wouldn't expect there to be any consideration of expansion until at least BBL10 but I see a great deal of money to be made with a new team in WA especially with the success of the Scorchers. It would be mutually beneficial for those teams to have a rivalry match just like Melbourne and Sydney do.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back