Workshop Cricket Kit Designs/Discussion

Went to the Gades game last night, the ground is in terrible nick, hope it's better by footy season, absolute disgrace.

The Victorian, you going up tomorrow??

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Went to the Gades game last night, the ground is in terrible nick, hope it's better by footy season, absolute disgrace.

I could see watching it on the tellie now bad the ground looked.

Yes I will be going to the G for the Big Bash tomorrow night like always!

The atmosphere was s**t last night.

Too many kids jumping up and down on seats, the announcers trying to keep the crowd entertained and the bloody beach ball that kept grtting thrown around.

Also, what was with that inflatable slide? Completed waste of space.

I was there to watch the cricket, not play air guitar or dance between balls.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral

Too many kids jumping up and down on seats, the announcers trying to keep the crowd entertained and the bloody beach ball that kept grtting thrown around.

This is what I dislike about T20. It's entertainment with cricket. Sure have some other stuff but what's the main thing here?
Usually I can sit through it but sometimes (especially if my team is losing) I hate it.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
New Zealand are playing in their new ODI shirt. Reminds me alot like a Rugby jersey. Most likely going to be wearing it for the CWC
1546951586478.png

Admittedly the crowd did feel a bit down until the very end. One kid stood on the chair next to me and broke my stack of 25 buckets during the innings break. Luckily I fixed them or else that kid would have copped a belting.
The slide isn’t a waste of space either, it’s not like it was a capacity crowd or anything and it gives the kids something to do. Ultimately, that’s the Big Bash. Traditionalists won’t like it but I find it good for a night out.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Admittedly the crowd did feel a bit down until the very end. One kid stood on the chair next to me and broke my stack of 25 buckets during the innings break. Luckily I fixed them or else that kid would have copped a belting.
The slide isn’t a waste of space either, it’s not like it was a capacity crowd or anything and it gives the kids something to do. Ultimately, that’s the Big Bash. Traditionalists won’t like it but I find it good for a night out.
Are they going to take out the slide for the Derby?

I was there too, in the members I didn't think the atmosphere was too bad, everyone was pretty excited when we we're taking wickets early and as we edged towards winning. There were a couple of beach balls flying around (caloschwaby, magpienato, SarahSmiles I got to catch and hit the ball :D) but no kids jumping on seats. I think the kids in the members are keen to see the cricket rather than jump around for the evening

The atmosphere of the BBL will never be like Test and ODI matches or the footy though, it's designed for families, and especially kids. That's why there's music in between balls and activities in between overs. Heading to the matches at Marvel is great, there's an excellent view of the pitch right around the ground and the amenities are fantastic. GMHBA needs some work for cricket though (the scoreboard didn't give enough info and the position of the pitch is a long way away from the stands)

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
GMHBA needs some work for cricket though (the scoreboard didn't give enough info and the position of the pitch is a long way away from the stands)
There's no other way the boundaries are long enough. It used to run goal-to-goal but the ICC wouldn't approve the rediculously-short square boundares.
It would depend where you sat but a right-hand batsman facing the terrace end has a very short boundary to deep backward square and longer to cover. But long-off would be longish.

There's no other way the boundaries are long enough. It used to run goal-to-goal but the ICC wouldn't approve the rediculously-short square boundares.
It would depend where you sat but a right-hand batsman facing the terrace end has a very short boundary to deep backward square and longer to cover. But long-off would be longish.

It's awkward, but it's possible that they may need to bite the bullet on hosting cricket here, unless they can purpose-build a circle stadium with a BBL expansion team. In seats that would be behind the goals at the footy, the pitch feels like it's a mile away, which isn't good when you're trying to attract people to play and attend matches. As you put it, the boundaries are awkward too, furthering the point that GMHBA is average when it comes to cricket

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
It's awkward, but it's possible that they may need to bite the bullet on hosting cricket here, unless they can purpose-build a circle stadium with a BBL expansion team. In seats that would be behind the goals at the footy, the pitch feels like it's a mile away, which isn't good when you're trying to attract people to play and attend matches. As you put it, the boundaries are awkward too, furthering the point that GMHBA is average when it comes to cricket
I haven't been to anything there ever but given the field is only 3m longer than Adelaide Oval, and the stands lower than the Riverbank Stand, I don't see the problm.
T20 can handle strange boundaries better than other forms of cricket. Like any size ground, it takes adjustment from fielding sides to restrict scoring in the easy areas.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I was wondering why GMHBA Stadium, Spotless Stadium and Metricon Stadiums pitch are all awkwardly positioned. This explains why- ICC approval...

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I was wondering why GMHBA Stadium, Spotless Stadium and Metricon Stadiums pitch are all awkwardly positioned. This explains why- ICC approval...
That, but more-so in the cases of Spotless and Metricon, which are wider, it puts seats behind the bowler's arm at both ends, which many people consider to be premium seating.

Back