Cricket needs you

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
More pink ball tests. Heaps better to watch visually and a better time slot for the crowds.

Also, move more cricket out of the concrete stadiums. Get some space around the grounds so the kids can play their games and the Adults can watch from the shade of a tree.

View attachment 795261

this for me, i have watched cricket tests at sri lanka and the carrabean and must say the laid back atmosphere, gardenous staduims and affordable heavy beer make them fantastic days out. i will never go to another test match at the MCG. why when i can watch on TV from home with a growler full of home brew and the spa at my disposal for lunch and tea breaks.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One must cut their cloth to suit, when I was a younger man, I'd watch most cricket that was televised and to be fairly blunt there was * all other options available at the time. Today the market is saturated.

Five or so Tests aren't of any real value anymore, even the two test series against Pakistan was a disaster, the result was known after the first days play. NZ they were also ****ed early.

Rotate all test nations over a 24 ( could include Ashes I suppose) month period and use a ******* ladder and have finals, what kind of sport doesn't play finals?

I'll tell you bingo ( well maybe it isn't a sport)

Ill watch 5 days of a test match no problem, part of the appeal is that its ridiculously long. That doesnt appeal to everyone, and a good point made by the acurate one is that market saturation means if it doesnt then theyll watch some other bastardised version of the game. That ******* Hundred abomination over in england is the latest example.

Honestly, short of introducing a subject in primary schools "the superiority of test cricket, or why your 20/20 crap is ******* dumb" its probably too little too late. People who dont even like cricket go to that s**t. A mate who wouldnt even be able to identify glen mcgrath in a line up of elvis impersonators asked me if i wanted to go to a 20/20 match next year.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Im in the country and Our junior numbers are down 40 percent in the last 10 years across our league. Are your juniors all played Saturday mornings or during the week?

During the week.

Under 11s - Sunday mornings
13s Sat mornings
15s Friday nights
17s Tuesday nights
Girls 14s and 17s Wednesday nights

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rotate all test nations over a 24 ( could include Ashes I suppose) month period and use a ******* ladder and have finals, what kind of sport doesn't play finals?

The Test Championship started in August this year with that exact premise.

One must cut their cloth to suit, when I was a younger man, I'd watch most cricket that was televised and to be fairly blunt there was fu** all other options available at the time. Today the market is saturated.

Five or so Tests aren't of any real value anymore, even the two test series against Pakistan was a disaster, the result was known after the first days play. NZ they were also f’ed early.

in the words of JeanLucGoddard... ya soooky la la.

remember how good the Ashes contest was? Not every game is going to be great, sometimes it's one sided, just like footy.

And to answer your question about finals...Golf, Test match Rugby, Motor Racing, Road Cycling, Marathon Running, and Fishing.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Test Championship started in August this year with that exact premise.

Two tests against Pakistan is like us playing WCE away for 30 hours straight- * imagine that score line. Under BS of course

in the words of JeanLucGoddard... ya soooky la la.

remember how good the Ashes contest was? Not every game is going to be great, sometimes it's one sided, just like footy.

And to answer your question about finals...Golf, Test match Rugby, Motor Racing, Road Cycling, Marathon Running, and Fishing.

Yeah I don't ******* remember much currently and thanks for pointing that out !! :p

Golf isn't a sport, it's a bunch of campaigners wandering around aimlessly- well is when I have go.

Test match Rugby- who plays that- Solomon ******* Islands

Motor racing- again , I do that driving ******* home.

I'd pay cycling if campaigners in cars were allowed to open there doors, Lycra wearing ponces.

marathon running- where are they bloody going is my only question. Yeah cannot wait to visit the next 40k run-a-thon

Fishing, I have done my best work half tanked, so cannot be a sport.

Test cricket is on the nose, and it aint just with me.

Footy goes for 2.5 hours and people go to games. I don't think 3 hours is too long. Good to hear you like test cricket, even if it is in the background.Personally, I love the strategic side of test cricket.

I think AFL games go for too long, when you factor logistics of getting there and back it takes up a fair bit of the day or evening it is on. That is fine if you don't have much else going on in your life, but a lot of people do. Cricket and AFL were devised in a period where entertainment was pretty thin. I don't even know how cricket got off the ground, who has time for a 5 day game? I guess it was a celebration in England for entering a period where the weather got into double digits... it is now a skin cancer risk sitting out in an Australian summer all day.

I think it is why the AFL experimented with AFLX, because long games don't really appeal to wider audiences.

I don't know about other people, but when I go to the footy I often tune out early in games, early in the first or second quarters, especially when it was Brad's stoppage after stoppage game. I'd pull out the Record and skip past the 95% of ads to look at the 3 pages of content, or I would usually have a newspaper with me and read the articles writing off the club whilst simultaneously lauding Scott's coaching.

I mean, they could do away with the first two quarters and make it two halves of 30 minutes and I don't think it would negatively impact the game. I don't think AFL needed the shitshow that was AFLX, it is a good enough product. It just goes for too long and the early parts of games feel like teams are going through the motion, pacing themselves to last the whole game because they have had to go from running 2km to run on average 13km over the course of the game.

The Premiership quarter is the 3rd quarter, that is when clubs put the foot to the floor, I typically hope we are close enough to the opposition at half time and the second half has me a lot more interested in the game than the first half. If I flick on Kayo and there is a game of american basketball or football I might watch it... but baseball? No way. Same with Soccer, the game isn't long, it is just too slow a pace. I would only watch ice hockey in the hope a fight breaks out, the game is as interesting as rolling cheese down a hill to me... or curling, lets watch a sport were adults are brooming a slab of ice. There are a lot of dumb sports that aren't very popular for good reasons and technology will sooner or later kill them all off eventually.

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Two tests against Pakistan is like us playing WCE away for 30 hours straight- fu** imagine that score line. Under BS of course

Yeah I don't ******* remember much currently and thanks for pointing that out !! :p

Golf isn't a sport, it's a bunch of campaigners wandering around aimlessly- well is when I have go.

I'd pay cycling if campaigners in cars were allowed to open there doors, Lycra wearing ponces.

marathon running- where are they bloody going is my only question. Yeah cannot wait to visit the next 40k run-a-thon

Mate I love test cricket but liked your post cause everything else was funny!

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think AFL games go for too long, when you factor logistics of getting there and back it takes up a fair bit of the day or evening it is on. That is fine if you don't have much else going on in your life, but a lot of people do. Cricket and AFL were devised in a period where entertainment was pretty thin. I don't even know how cricket got off the ground, who has time for a 5 day game? I guess it was a celebration in England for entering a period where the weather got into double digits... it is now a skin cancer risk sitting out in an Australian summer all day.

I think it is why the AFL experimented with AFLX, because long games don't really appeal to wider audiences.

I don't know about other people, but when I go to the footy I often tune out early in games, early in the first or second quarters, especially when it was Brad's stoppage after stoppage game. I'd pull out the Record and skip past the 95% of ads to look at the 3 pages of content, or I would usually have a newspaper with me and read the articles writing off the club whilst simultaneously lauding Scott's coaching.

I mean, they could do away with the first two quarters and make it two halves of 30 minutes and I don't think it would negatively impact the game. I don't think AFL needed the shitshow that was AFLX, it is a good enough product. It just goes for too long and the early parts of games feel like teams are going through the motion, pacing themselves to last the whole game because they have had to go from running 2km to run on average 13km over the course of the game.

The Premiership quarter is the 3rd quarter, that is when clubs put the foot to the floor, I typically hope we are close enough to the opposition at half time and the second half has me a lot more interested in the game than the first half. If I flick on Kayo and there is a game of american basketball or football I might watch it... but baseball? No way. Same with Soccer, the game isn't long, it is just too slow a pace. I would only watch ice hockey in the hope a fight breaks out, the game is as interesting as rolling cheese down a hill to me... or curling, lets watch a sport were adults are brooming a slab of ice. There are a lot of dumb sports that aren't very popular for good reasons and technology will sooner or later kill them all off eventually.
Funny, a game of footy seems too long to me these days as well. But I think that is more to do with the way it’s played and the sanitation of the game and lack of hangers and bumps etc

when I was a teenager, me and my mates would get there at 3q time of the under 19’s!

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Two tests against Pakistan is like us playing WCE away for 30 hours straight- fu** imagine that score line. Under BS of course

have a guess what the most attended sports tournament is in the world

Answer:6 Nations rugby..

surprised me too ! but they get big crowds at every game

2 x 30 min halves.

That's the end of digging deep when it matters then

BigBadByron

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Used to play against Tim Paine.

Was a mouthy bastard!! (gun though, so he backed it up)

I think Test cricket needs a massive revamp.

Not sure on the answers. Shorten days? Limited overs? Limited batsmen? Not sure.

It's my favorite form of cricket, and even I am starting not to bother as too many series are so boring.

Wagner v Wade a recent highlight but otherwise so many series are just not interesting enough.

Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Used to play against Tim Paine.

Was a mouthy bastard!! (gun though, so he backed it up)

I think Test cricket needs a massive revamp.

Not sure on the answers. Shorten days? Limited overs? Limited batsmen? Not sure.

It's my favorite form of cricket, and even I am starting not to bother as too many series are so boring.

Wagner v Wade a recent highlight but otherwise so many series are just not interesting enough.
I'm also a rusted on test cricket fan but it is definitely an acquired taste. I'm pessimisic about it. I sense it might end up slipping entirely to pay TV which will be a disaster. The game's already on the Indian teet financially and they can't stand the longer form of the game. The championship of test cricket format might help and reducing it to 4 days might also. But I suspect that will only slow the decline. My biggest concern is that 20/20 is likely to have a shelf life and go the way of the 50/50 game - only quicker. Interesting times.

BigBadByron

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think 20/20 will stay as it appeals to the younger audience so much more.

Kids in particular love it, and that is the next generation of cricket fans.

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think 20/20 will stay as it appeals to the younger audience so much more.

Kids in particular love it, and that is the next generation of cricket fans.
Although I think 20/20 and one day might morph into 30/30 eventually, I agree that the kids love it. But many of those kids will grow into test cricket when they get older too (well I hope!)

BigBadByron

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Although I think 20/20 and one day might morph into 30/30 eventually, I agree that the kids love it. But many of those kids will grow into test cricket when they get older too (well I hope!)

25/25 two innings?

Played in one night 5 overs per bowler.

So a split 50 over game. 30mins break.

Ps; i totally hope also Test wise. Standard 50 over games just so boring.

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
25/25 two innings?

Played in one night 5 overs per bowler.

So a split 50 over game. 30mins break.

Ps; i totally hope also Test wise. Standard 50 over games just so boring.
Could very well work!
And I agree, the 50 over game is too long and 20/20 is too short. Especially if there are some early wickets, not enough time to build/save an innings then and it can become very boring very quickly

Back