spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers
I'd like to know people's thoughts on how we improve the great game of cricket. Footy and cricket are my passion, and i know footy is in amazing shape. Cricket needs our help and it worries me that people like Snake Baker says "I played the sport on and off for 30 years, and it's definitely no longer for me. They killed it". Well here is everyone's chance to put forward what they would like to see at the cricket and get crowds back.

the golden years of cricket are gone and probably won't return without cultural change that is favourable to cricket

both footy and cricket will become shorter, faster and more colourful until a flipping point where insurance and OH&S issues which make electronic formats of the game cheaper, less hassle and a better engagement with the crowd.

Boxing has already gone this way with its best 50 years ago but decent until the 80s. When we look back at footy and cricket, we will probably identify the 00s as the pinnacle of the sports.

What I see as the major problem is our administration wants to milk the sport, not see to its health. Grassroots development is out, instead they are looking to lower the bar of what 'participation' is so they can cook up great numbers for marketing purposes, and administrators the world over are too greedy to care that saturating the market with far too much product is going to dampen enthusiasm.

I don't think they're even using T20 right. The expansion of the BBL into a ponderous massive season has driven away foreign talent (I don't think we have any Windies players this season) and I think it has exposed the limitations of the T20 format, where a lot of the games feel quite same-y and there's a lot of overs of a spinner bowling darts where the slogger struggles to connect for the big boundary. It works for the carnival atmosphere and was having great success in capturing enthusiasm, but I fear they are slowly killing it by trying to turn a carnival sport into a long league like the AFL.

the golden years of cricket are gone and probably won't return without cultural change that is favourable to cricket

both footy and cricket will become shorter, faster and more colourful until a flipping point where insurance and OH&S issues which make electronic formats of the game cheaper, less hassle and a better engagement with the crowd.

Boxing has already gone this way with its best 50 years ago but decent until the 80s. When we look back at footy and cricket, we will probably identify the 00s as the pinnacle of the sports.
Boxing is in great shape. Not sure why you brought it up as an example

Stop resting players who do not want to be rested from Sheffield Shield games. Get rid of the overpaid sports scientists who have made no contribution to the game.

Perth and Brisbane test crowds have never been all that crash hot apart from Ashes series. Melbourne is set for a record non-Ashes crowd this Boxing Day, while the Sydney test will most likely be played in front of two if not three sellout crowds. Test cricket is in great shape in Australia.

ODIs and T20s are a worry however. I would like to see the BBL wound back to a five week tournament and the return of the ODI tri-series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are elements of the game that are a bit annoying compared to when my passion was at its peak.

Locally I don’t like - And I understand Why they do it but it doesn’t mean I have to like it - that juniors are made to wear helmets. I play in a club where each team has a few senior guys basically shepherding 7-8 young players in their teens. I’m treated like a celebrity because I bat in a baggy cap and can hook and pull. They’re so conditioned to helmets and safety etc.

It might seem minor but that’s part of the exhilaration of cricket that no other ball sport has.

There are elements of the game that are a bit annoying compared to when my passion was at its peak.

Locally I don’t like - And I understand Why they do it but it doesn’t mean I have to like it - that juniors are made to wear helmets. I play in a club where each team has a few senior guys basically shepherding 7-8 young players in their teens. I’m treated like a celebrity because I bat in a baggy cap and can hook and pull. They’re so conditioned to helmets and safety etc.

It might seem minor but that’s part of the exhilaration of cricket that no other ball sport has.

Young me had to wear a helmet 20 years ago.

Sad to see the way ODI's have really fallen from favour amongst the public here in Australia in recent years. Used to be mostly always packed to the rafters and was always a big event and great to watch on TV.
I've also noticed over the past season or two that the Big Bash League is struggling for attendances.
The first three matches in this season's BBL have produced generally very disappointing crowd figures.
Opening night at the Gabba drew 26,784 but last night's fixture at the SCG pulled only 13,247, tonight's match at Geelong saw a miserable 8,421 turn up.
The days of packed stadiums, big drawcards and great excitement in that competition appear to be fading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back