Opinion Cricket thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd prefer we pick the best team for the conditions that we're playing and stop trying to look at youth in the test side.

Sure, but I'm simply not a fan of Marsh. Sri Lanka a far easier assignment than India, and he's never been much good to start with.

Would much rather Ussie or a highly talented youngster than wheeling this bloke out again regardless of how he goes.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Sure, but I'm simply not a fan of Marsh. Sri Lanka a far easier assignment than India, and he's never been much good to start with.

Would much rather Ussie or a highly talented youngster than wheeling this bloke out again regardless of how he goes.

He scored a ton on debut in Sri Lanka.

He gets a caning because people think Rod Marsh is his father and he's picked because of this.

He has a test average of over 40.

Khawaja looks so out of his depth against spin it's not funny.

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well pick neither then.

He gets a caning as he scores runs against poor teams and is not good enough when it counts. Plus he is 33 so what's the point when we will lose the series anyway.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Well pick neither then.

He gets a caning as he scores runs against poor teams and is not good enough when it counts. Plus he is 33 so what's the point when we will lose the series anyway.

He scored 150 against South Africa in South Africa which won us the match.

I get why people don't rate him, but he's a worthy test selection.

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He scored 150 against South Africa in South Africa which won us the match.

I get why people don't rate him, but he's a worthy test selection.

I disagree. We should be playing more talented and younger cricketers rather than short term stop gaps in their mid 30s.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I disagree. We should be playing more talented and younger cricketers rather than short term stop gaps in their mid 30s.

Who are these younger and more talented cricketers that could average over 40 in the test arena?

Bearing in mind Khawaja is over 30 himself.

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who are these younger and more talented cricketers that could average over 40 in the test arena?

He averages 40 in first class cricket and is mid 30s - that's pretty ordinary and his test average is bloated due to weak opposition.

I just feel its time to move on from guys like him and put young talent in - higher risk sure but for a series such as this I'd rather a young talent get the experience than (very likely) lose a series with old guys who've never been much good to start with.

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Its called hyperbole.

Yes all good but I'm over "his weight" being a selection problem, some of our best cricketers have not been Mr Universe.

I think he's a very talented batsman. Makes top quality quicks look stupid at times, Marsh is just another good not great first class cricketer.

What better way to learn spin than in India, it'll make little difference if we pick Marsh or Ussie, but at least one has special talent and is younger by 3 years. Or if we consider Ussie not up to it in conditions, at least pick someone young to have a crack than the band-aid that is Marsh.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Yes all good but I'm over "his weight" being a selection problem, some of our best cricketers have not been Mr Universe.

I think he's a very talented batsman. Makes top quality quicks look stupid at times, Marsh is just another good not great first class cricketer.

What better way to learn spin than in India, it'll make little difference if we pick Marsh or Ussie, but at least one has special talent and is younger by 3 years. Or if we consider Ussie not up to it in conditions, at least pick someone young to have a crack than the band-aid that is Marsh.

The Teat team selection shouldn't be based on who could be good in the future.

It should be selected based on who are the best 11 cricketers to represent the country right now.

His weight is an issue because it hampers his batting which is literally his only strength. Gets puffed running 2.

In the past we've had some bigger players sure, but they've always had decent cardio, something Ussie doesn't appear to have.

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Teat team selection shouldn't be based on who could be good in the future.

It should be selected based on who are the best 11 cricketers to represent the country right now.

Which isn't Marsh.

His weight is an issue because it hampers his batting which is literally his only strength. Gets puffed running 2.

In the past we've had some bigger players sure, but they've always had decent cardio, something Ussie doesn't appear to have.

It's not that bad. He's very lazy i agree, but he's a gun. Ok sure if dropped for India, but don't select a proven 33yo dud to replace.

If not for Geoff connections the two of them would have played half the International cricket they have (if any).

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Which isn't Marsh.

It's not that bad. He's very lazy i agree, but he's a gun. Ok sure if dropped for India, but don't select a proven 33yo dud to replace.

If not for Geoff connections the two of them would have played half the International cricket they have (if any).

It isn't the guy who just scored 100 in the tour game?

Marsh isn't a proven 'dud'. He's a good batsman who can play in the conditions we will be encountering.

You make him out to be a guy who's never warranted selection which is frankly rubbish.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Marsh bagging was always going to happen.

We are playing in India against the best team in the world, in the most trying, foreign conditions. We have a terrible record there.

You don't win over there if you can't play spin. Uzzie is a good player but was horribly out of his depth against the Sri Lankan spinners. For all his faults Marsh is a good player of spin with a proven track record in the sub continent.

It's a no brainer for me.

shniko11

Beneath the blue and white
Nov 6, 2015
Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where has picking the best players for the conditions gotten us in India before?

We went down the youth path before India with success and that is the 11 that should be in India imo. What better way to learn the conditions. Ok yeah an extra spinner on these wickets is needed.

Maybe Marsh is better against spin than Uzzie but maybe he can improve with more time at the crease over there.

Personally i think Uzzie is in our best 11 players in the country and should be playing in the first test at least but that's just me.

Last edited:

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
ussie is fine in his own conditions (i.e. Australia) look at how soft a majority of his dismissals are overseas. Marsh is a better call.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
Waiting for Lindsay Thomas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
Well yesterday it finally ended not the season but me personally pulling the pin after my third duck in a row give out by my team mate LBW for the sixth time in eight innings- in *en D grade!!

FYI- once caught and the other was a run out. In games 3 and 4. So yep have been given LBW four games in a row!!!! Three for ducks.

Yesterday was a black day my friends it was like 80's India, I'm a right-hander ( notice I never used the term batsman) so a left armer over the wicket got me LBW! It didn't pitch in line and it wouldn't have hit the stumps had they been five foot wide. Not bothering to mention that I was seriously a third of the way down the pitch.

So a few of my comeback season highlights...

• face planting while attempting a catch in the deep
  • stopped the ball with my face in slips- actually was my jaw saved four runs!
  • lbw six times- I did though enjoy watching the cocko's who gave me out bowl. Especially got off on edges through to the keeper that the opposition didn't give out. I loved reminding them.
  • did take a good catch running with the flight of the ball- don't know how it stuck cause I closed my eyes.
  • Nearly took a blinder yesterday at first slip- dived left got it but it bounced out when I hit the ground. Actually am happy as the bowler was the guy who 'fingered' me later in the day.
  • Broke a toe. Dislocated two fingers, hurt my knee and hammy issues. Apart from all that I'm in fairly good condition and if anyone's looking for a right hander- yeah PM me :p
And if not anyone want to buy a bat? Be fair dudes it's hardly been used- *!!

So just a recap I walked straight passed em grabbed my bag and left. I thought about umpiring and firing them all out- campaigners :p

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where has picking the best players for the conditions gotten us in India before?

We went down the youth path before India and that is the 11 that should be in India imo. What better way to learn the conditions.
Maybe Marsh is better against spin than Uzzie but maybe he can improve with more time at the crease over there.

Personall i think Uzzie is in our best 11 players in the country and should be playing in the first test at least but that's just me.

Spot on.

But yep, lets pick Marsh and waste another losing series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back