Cricket Statistics

Remove this Banner Ad

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just curious how many stats nerds we have out there, and where you get your data from. Do you use a web interface like Statsguru, download cubes from other websites, or compile scorecards manually to create your own database?

I have always wanted access to a reliable and comprehensive source of first class match data (not necessarily going back decades), if anyone can recommend one I'd be very appreciative. Don't really mind if it's a paid service.

I have always found the Cricket Archive website the best source, but today I see you can only access their info by becoming a subscriber. I'll probably pay for a membership however, as it has a great variety of info about players. You can see not only somebody's first class stats and one day stats, but also all Lancashire League and the Minor Counties matches anybody has played. Recently they acquired all Victoria District cricket matches onto their database. So even though I've talked up Cricket Archive, you'll now need to subscribe to see what they have.

I've got a fully autistic set of excel spreadsheets for over a decade of sheffield shield stats.
That's quite neat. Did you build them yourself from scorecards or something?

If it goes down to match-by-match detail it would probably be worth sticking them in a SQL database.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have always found the Cricket Archive website the best source, but today I see you can only access their info by becoming a subscriber. I'll probably pay for a membership however, as it has a great variety of info about players. You can see not only somebody's first class stats and one day stats, but also all Lancashire League and the Minor Counties matches anybody has played. Recently they acquired all Victoria District cricket matches onto their database. So even though I've talked up Cricket Archive, you'll now need to subscribe to see what they have.

Yeah always used this website also, the great breakdown of first class stats by ground and opposition especially I found useful.

Cant see myself paying for it atm so might need a new one!

Yeah always used this website also, the great breakdown of first class stats by ground and opposition especially I found useful.

Cant see myself paying for it atm so might need a new one!

That's interesting. Cricinfo is pretty much without peer for international statistical analysis, but lacking in depth for first class. Cricket Archive was always my go to for looking at first class too.

massive on my stats

on a personal level, i've still got my original excel sheet that i created in the summer of 92/93 with all of my own cricket statistics in it, tracked all of them until i "retired' in 2011/12

my average was terrible!

on a first class/international level i use statsguru, but i'd love to get myself a sql server or something like that setup with every stat possible on it

Stats-nerd checking in.

Can anyone point out some really interesting analyses that don't normally get covered in the cricketing world? I posted some articles about batting medians (as opposed to averages) in another thread, but I can't find them at the moment.

I pretty much just use Statsguru, but gettign something more comprehensive on FC, ListA, etc would be good.
And anything that was match-by-match, inninings-by-innings, full career so the real stats whizzes coiuld pull together some more stuff than just averages. if two people average 35 with the bat, and one fails a lot with a few big scores, whilke the other scores 20-50 regularly with few big scores and few failures, who is the more valuable? There isn't any easy way of seeing which players fall into which categories. It can be done with a combination of Statguru queries and some dicking about I think. (Not answering which is more valuable, but who fits which category.)

So I ended up writing a little bit of VBA code that iterates through a range of URLs on the Cricinfo website and scrapes the data (based on HTML table reference) into CSV files which I can then load into SQL Server. The formatting is still a bit screwy but will fix it at some stage in the next couple of weeks. If anyone is interested in replicating I based the code mostly on the below:

www.stackoverflow.com/questions/8798260/html-parsing-of-cricinfo-scorecards

It's a bit of a cumbersome solution, so if anyone comes across actual live data feeds for FC matches I would still be interested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back