Opinion Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They aren't. Cam you name a time it's happened?

I remember rumours Tendulkar's bat was wider than regulations.

Agree. The only time bat laws were flouted that I can recall was when Lillee stepped out with his hollow aluminium pile of poop.

Otherwise Warner's old Kaboom bat was the straw that broke the camel's back. It was a piano with a handle!

images

Jimmy S as I call him (James Sunderland) is a good friend of my cousins and he will sort this out pronto.

Every batsman tape up their bat. They add toe guards, change grips and oil them. If you did any of that to the ball you get suspended!

So much technology has been put into the advancement of bats, why haven’t we done the same for balls? Why don’t ball makers make balls that scuff easier on one side??

Last edited:
lol this test
Not even home from work and it’s all over

Our national team is ****** for years to come

Into the wilderness we go

the funny thing was that at the end of 2016, after the hobart debacle, it was ground zero. Fast forward to 2018, aus at rock bottom.........yet again. Backtrack to the 2015 ashes after the 60 all out, again it was the darkest hour stuff. Fast forward again to the 2010/11 ashes when england won 3-0 it was the darkest day. So in the last 10 years, aus had like 4 instances of 'dark days' type scenario. Great leadership from our helmsman, his steadying hand and sound judge has allowed aus to wriggle out of many a crisis............................straight to the next one.

With batsmen it's more pushing boundaries rather than outright cheating.

Pushing the way bats are shaped and thicknesses etc, ways that tape is applied to the blade.

I feel the reason why so many people are resorting to ball tampering (Geeves said it was rife in international cricket) is because the rules are continually pushing toward favouring the batsmen rather than the bowler, so they try and pull it back a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the funny thing was that at the end of 2016, after the hobart debacle, it was ground zero. Fast forward to 2018, aus at rock bottom.........yet again. Backtrack to the 2015 ashes after the 60 all out, again it was the darkest hour stuff. Fast forward again to the 2010/11 ashes when england won 3-0 it was the darkest day. So in the last 10 years, aus had like 4 instances of 'dark days' type scenario. Great leadership from our helmsman, his steadying hand and sound judge has allowed aus to wriggle out of many a crisis............................straight to the next one.

You forgot 2013 and losing 4-0 in India amidst "Homeworkgate". Oh, and "Monkeygate" in 2008. Two other 'scandals' riddled with miscommunication, a chasm between the board and the team, indecisive leadership and an inability to gain support from the media or public, and all under the umbrella of a 'poor culture'. Just like this scandal. The question isn't whether Sutherland should keep his job after 17 years, but rather how he kept it for 17 years in the first place.

With batsmen it's more pushing boundaries rather than outright cheating.

Pushing the way bats are shaped and thicknesses etc, ways that tape is applied to the blade.

I feel the reason why so many people are resorting to ball tampering (Geeves said it was rife in international cricket) is because the rules are continually pushing toward favouring the batsmen rather than the bowler, so they try and pull it back a bit.

They haven't been very good at it then ! The ball has hardly swung over the last 10-15 years . But no doubt its been happening, but probably less now that umpires inspect the ball regularly

Richard Hadlee came out a while back saying that bowlers should be able to tamper with the ball as long as no artificial aids used. This was to counter the big bats etc
So cue very long fingernails !

Every batsman tape up their bat. They add toe guards, change grips and oil them. If you did any of that to the ball you get suspended!

So much technology has been put into the advancement of bats, why haven’t we done the same for balls? Why don’t ball makers make balls that scuff easier on one side??
Bowler's should be able to bring their own ball. Sorted. And if they're losing they can take it and go home.

They haven't been very good at it then ! The ball has hardly swung over the last 10-15 years . But no doubt its been happening, but probably less now that umpires inspect the ball regularly

Richard Hadlee came out a while back saying that bowlers should be able to tamper with the ball as long as no artificial aids used. This was to counter the big bats etc

Mate of mine has a similar theory. So long as you don't bring a foreign object for tampering onto the field (sandpaper, bottle tops) or a solid, firm surface (rubbing it onto the ground/gutter/fence, boot spikes, zips, teeth) it's all fair - sweat, sunscreen, lipbalm, lollies. But only the bowler bowling that over can do it and you get a new ball every 50 overs. Not sure how that would work.

Id counter that with the example of England sides of the last 15 years.

They'd get the ball swinging a foot when their opposition would struggle to get an inch of movement.

Suss as hell.

I know they're sticking up for their members but I think this is a mistake. They (well, Smith and Bancroft, anyway) have engendered a lot of sympathy since their return and a lot of it will disappear if they are seen to not accept the punishment.

Good to see Steve Smith takes my advice sometimes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back