Opinion Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Only just caught up with the Channel 7 cricket rights. Oh dear.

As much as they're a nepotistic bunch there's something familiar and comforting about test cricket on 9. And I echo the sentiment that channel 10 have surprisingly made a reasonable fist of the BBL with and emphasis on the game itself.

Well at least ch7 already have Brayshaw on the books.

Maybe he can emulate his footy calling and spend most of the games blowing on about how great "Sachin the little champion" or "Beefy, just an absolute champion" were.

i reckon langer will be a good choice, i still remember him geeing up the team in the field in Barbados in 99 when we nearly snatched that test match, we just couldn’t get the last wicket. :-(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NSW squad finalised, Maddinson cut loose

Tubby is a little emotional right now.

You-Were-the-Chosen-One-Ewan-MacGregor-Star-Wars.gif

I read somewhere recently that Maddinson's omission was left so late that he's too late to shift states and be nominated for the new state's squad for season 2018/19 as well. He's basically stuffed!
Correct.
There was essentially a "first round" of contracts done, then additiona thrown in.

He could potentially still end up on a list, but it may only be for one form of the game. Kind of like how a former TasmanIan (name escapes me) ended up at the Bushrangers two seasons ago, also as insurance!

Pretty good choice you'd think. Much smaller ego than Boof and been pretty successful wherever he's been
I've always liked JL but my brother-in-law, who played against him in first-grade in the late 90s when JL was out of the test team, lit up with anger when I mentioned it last week. Said, "mate, just about everyone in first grade hated him". Very short temper. Storming into changerooms and having to be pulled away from opponents, that kind of thing.

Only just caught up with the Channel 7 cricket rights. Oh dear.

As much as they're a nepotistic bunch there's something familiar and comforting about test cricket on 9. And I echo the sentiment that channel 10 have surprisingly made a reasonable fist of the BBL with and emphasis on the game itself.

Well at least ch7 already have Brayshaw on the books.

Maybe he can emulate his footy calling and spend most of the games blowing on about how great "Sachin the little champion" or "Beefy, just an absolute champion" were.

Seven have poached David Barham who was in charge of cricket at 10.

I've always liked JL but my brother-in-law, who played against him in first-grade in the late 90s when JL was out of the test team, lit up with anger when I mentioned it last week. Said, "mate, just about everyone in first grade hated him". Very short temper. Storming into changerooms and having to be pulled away from opponents, that kind of thing.

small mans disease ? He may be different as a coach than as a player. He'll certainly be getting the word from Cricket Australia as to expected behaviours from his teams

Steve Smith vows to win back the Australian public’s trust
STEVE Smith had an emotional message for Australia today as he reflected on the cheating scandal that has rocked cricket.

275145e6d37d3171bd0b3eaebb56d5db

STEVE Smith has vowed to earn back the trust of the Australian public following the cheating scandal in South Africa which saw him banned from playing international and state cricket for a year.

The former national team captain and vice-captain David Warner were both suspended for 12 months for their role in the ball tampering incident in Cape Town during the recent Test series, and opening batsman Cameron Bancroft was banned for nine months.

An emotional Smith was reduced to tears when he fronted the media to explain himself after arriving back in Australia in March and had not spoken publicly since then until today, when he posted a message on Instagram.

Smith has spent time in America avoiding the spotlight but announced he was now back in Australia.

Pictured with fiancee Dani Willis, Smith said he was humbled by the messages of support he’s received since being cast into the cricket wilderness and said it was “time to get back into it”.

He also thanked Willis and his parents for their support after admitting he needs to earn the respect of the public again.

“It’s great to be back home in Australia. I have had some time away to come to terms with everything and now it’s time to get back into it,” Smith wrote.

“The amount of emails and letters I have received has been incredible and I have been extremely humbled by the enormous amount of support you have given me. I now have a lot to do to earn back your trust.

“To my Mum, Dad and Dani you have been my rock through this and I can’t thank you enough. Family is the most important thing in the world and I thank you for your love and support.”

Coach Darren Lehmann stood down as a result of the cheating scandal and this week Cricket Australia announced Justin Langer would take his place at the helm for all three formats. The former opening batsman and Western Australia coach left the door open for the return of Smith, Warner and Bancroft when their bans end.

“They’ve made mistakes. We have all made mistakes and we can all get better,” Langer said. “If they meet the standards of the Australian cricket team, of course, they will be welcomed back.”

Smith has been linked with a move to English county side Surrey, where ex-Australian star and batting coach Michael Di Venuto is in charge, however that is yet to be confirmed.

c4082340e077be05698a4aa2ba091378

Smith and Warner face a long road back.Source:AFP

Warner said he was resigned to accepting he may never play cricket for his country again but Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland said the door remained open for the left-hander, who was identified as the mastermind behind the plan to use sandpaper to tamper with the ball.

“I think everyone deserves their chance and their own personal redemption story is very much in their own hands now,” Sutherland told Melbourne radio station SEN this week.

“Each of them have to go about that during the time they’re out of the game and prove that they’re worthy (and) prove to the Australian selectors that they should want them back.

“They deserve that opportunity.”

Sutherland added that he felt for the players, whose reputations have been trashed.

“I feel forgiveness for all of them. I feel sympathy for them and I want to see them all come back and play their best cricket. I believe they all can,” he said.

“Part of the design within the sanctions was to allow them to stay connected with the game.

“I also see part of our role is to support them with their state associations and their clubs, to help them stay hungry and come back and play their best cricket.”

Cricket Australia on Tuesday appointed an ethics guru to review the sport’s culture in the wake of the scandal to ensure there is never a repeat.

It will run in tandem with a separate probe announced last month into player behaviour.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aus...on-finch-england-zimbabwe-pakistan/2018-05-08

L
08FinchCarey.ashx

ENGLAND V AUSTRALIA ODIS
New skippers in, Swepson named for white-ball tours
Spinner Nathan Lyon also returns while an uncapped Queensland duo are named in the T20 squad for tours of England and Zimbabwe

Tim Paine and Aaron Finch have been confirmed as Australia's new ODI and T20 captains respectively, while uncapped Queensland pair Mitchell Swepson and Jack Wildermuth have earned a shock selection for the upcoming tours of England and Zimbabwe.

New Test skipper Paine will lead the ODI side in the UK in the absence of banned former captain Steve Smith, while opener Finch has been named his one-day deputy for the five-match series.

ODI squad: Tim Paine (c), Aaron Finch (vc), Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Nathan Lyon, Glenn Maxwell, Shaun Marsh, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, D’Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis, Andrew Tye

T20 squad: Aaron Finch (c), Alex Carey (vc), Ashton Agar, Travis Head, Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, D’Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, Andrew Tye, Jack Wildermuth

Finch will lead the T20 international team alongside young South Australian gloveman Alex Carey, who has been named vice-captain, for a one-off T20 in England and a T20 tri-series in Zimbabwe that follows.

But Paine's appointment as ODI skipper is a temporary one with a long-term captain yet to be named ahead of Australia's World Cup defence next year.

"Tim is a strong leader and will captain the side for this series, supported by Aaron," said selector Trevor Hohns.

"A decision on a permanent one-day captain will be made in due course."

D'Arcy Short has been named in the ODI squad for the first time and is set to open alongside Finch, with veteran batsman Shaun Marsh also returning to help plug the gaps left by Smith and David Warner.

"D'Arcy is relatively new to one-day cricket but impressed us with his form in T20 cricket last season," Hohns said.

"He brings an all-round package to the side, with strong fielding and bowling skills and we believe he will combine very well with Aaron at the top of the order."

Powerhouse batsman Chris Lynn has not been selected in either squad, while Carey has been earmarked to play as a batter in the one-day team.

"Alex is a very smart one-day player who can also bat anywhere in the order," Hohns said.

"With Tim in the side Alex will be the back-up wicket-keeper, but we believe his game is strong enough to play as a batter only."

Australia will be without the services of pace spearheads Mitchell Starc (leg) and Pat Cummins (back), who both were injured on the disastrous Test tour of South Africa and were subsequently ruled out of the lucrative Indian Premier League. Both are expected to return for the Test series against Pakistan in the UAE later this year.

Leading the ODI attack instead will be Josh Hazlewood, supported by Kane Richardson, Jhye Richardson and Andrew Tye as well as Billy Stanlake, who is on the mend after breaking his finger in the IPL.

"Nathan is our number one off-spinner and has excelled with the red ball, however he is not new to white ball cricket and deserves his chance to push for World Cup selection," Hohns said.

"England potentially have a number of left-handers in their side and we look forward to seeing what he can produce with the white-ball in English conditions.

"Adam hasn’t performed to the level we would have liked in recent times and we see this as a good opportunity for other spinning options to press their case ahead of the Cricket World Cup."

Explosive batsmen Nic Maddinson and Short as well as uncapped allrounder Wildermuth have been named in the T20 squad to face England in a one-off match at Edgbaston on June 27 before the squad flies to Zimbabwe to take on the hosts and Pakistan in a tri-series.

QUICK SINGLE
subjectAustralia set for Zimbabwe tour
"(Selectors) hold Jack in high regard as young player on the rise," T20 selector Mark Waugh said of Wildermuth.

"He has shown excellent all-round skills at the first-class level, particularly with the ball in the Big Bash.

"We look forward to seeing what he can produce at the international level.

"Nic (Maddinson) has been selected off the back of a very good Big Bash season. He is a very talented player and with his batting skills has the ability to be very dangerous in this format."

The ODI captaincy is another remarkable step in Paine’s comeback story that now includes resurrection as a Tasmanian Tiger, a shock Ashes selection, stoic performances with both gloves and bat and captaining his country at Test level.

Australia have two warm-up fixtures at Hove (June 7) and Lord’s (June 9) before starting their ODI campaign at The Oval on June 13.

Nick ******* Maddison.

A bloke who can't get a contract at NSW picked in the Aussie T20 squad. I'm suprised Moises ******* Henrequies didn't get a gig too.

**** me.
Useless in the shield but actually had a pretty good BBL - 11th highest scorer and only one person who faced more balls than him scored at a faster rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back