Cricket things that annoy you

Remove this Banner Ad

Why people think it's bad for kids to play these shots is beyond me. Learn them from a young age in the same way they learn a forward defence, cut, hook, etc.

I think the issue is when you don't see the kids attempt to play forward defence, cuts or drives.

Off side fielders forward of point seem to have very little to do from my observations of kids cricket. Hopefully that changes when the kids get a bit older and get sick of getting out to slogging across the line, top edging reverse sweeps and trying to ramp good length balls on off stump. I can't imagine it's a new phenomenon. There are just a few more acrobatic ways to get themselves out than the heave to cow-corner from my day.

I don't have any sympathy for the WSC or Rebel players - they knew in advance they wouldn't be officially sanctioned, but took the cash anyway.
Two completely different scenarios.

WSC was born by frustration with archaic boards demanding sacrifices and professionalism from players and not giving anything back. The ramifications of those years totally transformed cricket, unrecognisable from what it was only a decade earlier, and while there are some f###ed things going on with the sport due to suit influence, the game is bigger and stronger. Those guys were pioneers as much as they were mercs...

South Africa was more of a cash grab, and none of the players could seriously state they were doing it to break down barriers. It did add to the pressure on SA that built up during the seventies and eventually dismantled apartheid, but it was one of the many drops in the ocean. Hardly anyone on the Aus tours was in the Australian side though...a fair few had been, and a few got in afterwards, but almost none of them were in the side over the 1984-85 summer, and while remunerations since WSC were better, it was still a pretty good offer.

It's hard to judge a person on taking up an opportunity that sets you up for life...if it wasn't, I could sit here and badmouth Buddy forever! In footy, this notion of "one club player" is fanciful at best, because any club will ruthlessly cut even the most steadfast champion, so the idea that the player owes the club or even the sport more than what's on the contract just doesn't hold water...

The constant overuse of the phrase(s) "natural variation" when it comes to the Spinners

And the old gem....."he's set him up there with that ball".

Bowling 3 outswingers and 1 inswinger has been around since the horse and cart days.....it's nothing new.

Watching Starc, I get the impression that sometimes he has NFI about where he is (or thinks he is) going to bowl the ball in any case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back