Cricket things that annoy you

Remove this Banner Ad

The batsmen does not get the runs to their name so makes no sense.
The fielding side has conceded some runs as ball gone into a gap in the field placements.
The individual batsman gets no runs added to his own score.
The batting team gets runs added to the extras...
Well, yeah, I never said the reward goes to the batsman directly. It goes to the side who gets hit due to a lack of skill or agility.

I don't think my position is that unreasonable or lacking in sense. In my mind runs should be earned directly through the batsman or errors from the fielding side. Leg byes just don't fit into either of these categories.

I do understand it would complicate things though and if I was hit by a guy bowling 150km I'd certainly want leg byes too. :)

Well, yeah, I never said the reward goes to the batsman directly. It goes to the side who gets hit due to a lack of skill or agility.

I don't think my position is that unreasonable or lacking in sense. In my mind runs should be earned directly through the batsman or errors from the fielding side. Leg byes just don't fit into either of these categories.

I do understand it would complicate things though and if I was hit by a guy bowling 150km I'd certainly want leg byes too. :)
I can certainly see where you're coming from, but the way I see LB is that they close a loophole in the rules, and offer no benefit to either batting side or bowling side. If it hits the player and they're trying to hit the ball but trickles out onto the leg side, while it penalizes the bowler it does so for a reason; the bowler isn't bowling on the wickets, not unless they're standing dead in front.

At the end of the day, LB simply are. They're not positive or negative, they're a means of filling in a grey area in the rules, and they don't favour either side.

and they don't favour either side.
I think this is it with leg byes... As far as I know no team has ever exploited them to get a bunch more extra runs each innings. Each team is going to benefit more or less at the same rate over the long haul.

How would you even do it? The only thing I can think is a batting team starts wildly flailing at loose balls with no intention to actually hit them, but kicks the ball away with their pads. Obviously this would look ridiculous, and would open up the batsmen to a wide range of potential other issues - accidental nicks, misjudgment on some deliveries and getting out LBW, missing out punishing genuine boundary scoring balls and only getting singles.

If the above extremely unlikely scenario ever came into play you might see a reconsideration.... But until then... Play on.

I think this is it with leg byes... As far as I know no team has ever exploited them to get a bunch more extra runs each innings. Each team is going to benefit more or less at the same rate over the long haul.

How would you even do it? The only thing I can think is a batting team starts wildly flailing at loose balls with no intention to actually hit them, but kicks the ball away with their pads. Obviously this would look ridiculous, and would open up the batsmen to a wide range of potential other issues - accidental nicks, misjudgment on some deliveries and getting out LBW, missing out punishing genuine boundary scoring balls and only getting singles.

If the above extremely unlikely scenario ever came into play you might see a reconsideration.... But until then... Play on.
Not to mention, it's rather difficult to hit a leg bye for 4, let alone for 6.

If anyone has ever played in a match on this board who has ever seen a leg bye for 6, let us know. It's a long shot, but I really want to hear that story.

Sightscreens that have grown exponentially in recent years.

Also, people who think they are site screens.
I'd say there are more than a few people who think they are side screens too.

Another one that’s started to grind my gears recently is the growing dissent whenever a bowler isn’t putting it in the right areas.

If every bowler could bowl every ball where they wanted, they’d all be averaging 10.

Bowlers are not robots at any level and cannot do this.
Just bowl yorkers mate

Sightscreens that have grown exponentially in recent years.

Some of the sightscreens these days are about 30 metres across and 2 levels high, so it often amazes me when batsmen pull away when the bowler is about to go into his delivery stride. I ask myself what in hell could have possibly distracted the batsmen when he really should be watching the bowler's hand. Some of these players must have extraordinary peripheral vision.

If anyone has ever played in a match on this board who has ever seen a leg bye for 6, let us know. It's a long shot, but I really want to hear that story.

The opposition had an extremely quick bowler one day who bounced one of our batters who ducked and it hit his helmet and it flew over a shortish boundary for 6!

They can't, maximum would be 4

Leg byes are useful in park when the books don't add up, "Just chuck in a leg bye"

Playing in particular - players marking their guard.

There’s a line a foot f***en deep already there - it hasn’t moved since last time someone scratched it, and you’re not good enough for 5mm to Make a f***ing difference mate.

Reverse sweeping. In some instances players will do it to take a fielder out of play. If you are good enough, and that’s your reasoning, that’s fair.
I reckon at least half the time players do it, they do it because they’ve made up their mind that they are going to, and in reality they could play a normal shot to the same ball and plant it anywhere. My desire to have children with him influences my liking for his approach, but to you see Chris Gayle trying to reverse sweep anyone? No ya f***en don’t because he’s worked out that it’s easier to just blast it into orbit with a normal shot.

Commentators saying that players should have ‘let that go’ when a player reaches for a short half tracker or half volley and get out. F*** off mate. Criticise the execution of the shot, not the intent behind it. You can’t rag on players for scoring slow, or laud players for ‘just putting the bad ones away’ and then slag others off for trying to do the same.

Players getting out fending, or to a full ball, during an obvious bouncer plan. You’ve got helmets, you’ve got gloves, you’ve got pads, arm guards, chest guards, thigh pads. If someone is trying to bounce you out, either make it cost them by attacking it in some capacity, or take the ‘I may have to get hit or limbo a few balls here but I will protect my stumps come hell or high water.’ This shits me both locally and at high level.

How many players can whack a ball over the fence like Chris Gayle?

Thats right, * all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reverse sweeping. In some instances players will do it to take a fielder out of play. If you are good enough, and that’s your reasoning, that’s fair.
I reckon at least half the time players do it, they do it because they’ve made up their mind that they are going to, and in reality they could play a normal shot to the same ball and plant it anywhere. My desire to have children with him influences my liking for his approach, but to you see Chris Gayle trying to reverse sweep anyone? No ya f***en don’t because he’s worked out that it’s easier to just blast it into orbit with a normal shot.
See, for me it depends very much on who's doing it.

Joe Root has an astounding eye for the sweep and the reverse; if he's premeditating, I'll go he. When he goes either shot, he reacts after the ball is bowled, in which case they're as much a legitimately good shot as anyone. There's also a case for the reverse and the switch hit provided said player who goes for those shots AND premeditates AND is good enough to get away with it deserves all the runs they can get. Sure, they might go out terribly sometimes, but you can look awful premeditating conventional cricket shots too.

At the end of it, it's merely a difference in approach. I've spent years cracking the absolute shits at people like Ian Chappel for being so 'That can't work in Australia, got to play a particular way' old man stodginess when it comes to correct technique, I'm not going to ban a shot or a way of playing that works for someone purely because it's not conventional.
Commentators saying that players should have ‘let that go’ when a player reaches for a short half tracker or half volley and get out. F*** off mate. Criticise the execution of the shot, not the intent behind it. You can’t rag on players for scoring slow, or laud players for ‘just putting the bad ones away’ and then slag others off for trying to do the same.
Abso-*******-lutely.

You can go out playing a miscued pull or a cut, sure. The cut's one of my main shots, and in the depths of some shocking runs of bad form I've gone out playing both shots; I went out for a golden duck twice across consecutive matches getting caught out pulling and almost getting the ball for six over midwicket, and a little later in the same year I've clobbered a cut straight into the middle of a gap only for someone to take a diving catch over to their left and take the ******* thing inches above the surface. When you're in a s**t bit of form, you're going to find ways to go out that won't normally apply. When luck is on your side, your catches will fly to the left and right of the fielder; when you're in the s**t, you're going to hit him every time.

Honestly, commentator pontificating has next to no place in the game, IMO. It's opinion, and it while opinion can offer colour when I want a kaleidoscope I'll buy one, thanks.

Disappointing thread. I expected it to be something else entirely.

Cricket things that annoy me?

- getting hit between your pad and thigh pad. Especially when it happens at training, and you're stuck with a painful bruise for no benefit at all.
- being given out down the leg side when the ball is a metre away from anything.
- bowling the perfect arm ball, only for the fat captain who put himself at first slip to be standing there with his thumb up his arse and not even get a hand to it.
- and in a very specific example involving Scotch Oakburn Park in Launceston, batsmen repeatedly hitting the ball into the creek. It's like "Come on George, you've made your point, you're going to captain Australia and become a national selector... you could probably take it down a notch."

One of my teamates was seriously rapid when in the mood, in his prime was one of the quickest bowlers in the state .

He did that twice , badged batters and the ball cleared the boundary .
He even clean bowled a batter and we found half the bail up on the hill about 10 meters back .

Yes shortish boundary but still amazing to see

One of my teamates was seriously rapid when in the mood, in his prime was one of the quickest bowlers in the state .

He did that twice , badged batters and the ball cleared the boundary .
He even clean bowled a batter and we found half the bail up on the hill about 10 meters back .

Yes shortish boundary but still amazing to see

I’ve not seen a ball do that but it did jog the memory from something that stunned me one day.

Playing first grade, we can if we are bad enough be outrighted over two Innings.

We were playing this side in week two after making a fairly average score week one. They brought in this kid who was 17 and mostly committed to his school team in state ISA cricket but they wanted to give him a game in his week off and subbed him in for the second day. He averaged something like 8 with the ball for the season in ISA, I’d never watched him but the buzz was huge from people who knew him - ‘he’s tall, built to be a fast bowler, skill full, and he is *IN rapid.’

Other team passes our score on day 2, kid doesn’t bat so we still haven’t seen him, they get a lead and send us back in to try and get the outright.

I said to our opener ‘this kid can’t be that good, he’s 17 and hasn’t played first grade before. I reckon you’ll get plenty to hit.’

Kid comes in, our opener is a seriously good player.

First ball makes a sound hitting his helmet I have never heard before, it was just ******* flush.

Next ball his middle stump goes about a metre past the cut surface.

‘Well, I didn’t get a lot to hit.’

- getting hit between your pad and thigh pad. Especially when it happens at training, and you're stuck with a painful bruise for no benefit at all.
- being given out down the leg side when the ball is a metre away from anything.
- bowling the perfect arm ball, only for the fat captain who put himself at first slip to be standing there with his thumb up his arse and not even get a hand to it.
- and in a very specific example involving Scotch Oakburn Park in Launceston, batsmen repeatedly hitting the ball into the creek. It's like "Come on George, you've made your point, you're going to captain Australia and become a national selector... you could probably take it down a notch."
That time I took the 6th and 7th wickets with the last two balls of an over and the dickhead bowling at the other end took a hat trick himself to win the game, leaving me stranded.

What did you think it'd be about?

The throwing to the keeper I feel is an intensity thing.

Fielders not backing up used to drive me nuts as a dodgy keeper. I remember when I used to captain a lower grade team of mostly teenagers, i would drill this into them. Someone backing up both ends no matter where you are in the field, back up the guys backing up if possible. Every fielder should make them self useful every ball. It's a rare situation in this team sport where all 11 players can actually play as a team.
I was just a park cricketer but backing up as a fieldsman was instinct for me. I just automatically did it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back