big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Zoomed in shots of the ball when it's in the air / field.
With most games being called from the studio rather than at the ground, hopefully commentators will start asking directors for better shots, ie of the fielder. It's instinctive when you're at the ground but I've of the worst things about watching on TV.

Won't happen, though.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
The nigh constant 'The sky is FALLING!!!' rhetoric, whether it's talking about the death of long form cricket or it's talking about the most recent loss.

It makes it incredibly annoying for someone who can't watch as much cricket as I'd like to have to read match reports without more opinion and hyperbole than a richmond supporter penning an unauthorized Dustin Martin biopic. And while test cricket is clearly not the main priority worldwide, I gain no particular satisfaction from watching Australia play versus a good series between other countries. Good cricket is still good cricket, and we've had more good matches recently than poor.

The Olympics isn't a priority for some countries, yet there's enough money to go around to support that, and the ICC has a vested interest in itself in perpetuity. Test cricket isn't going to suddenly disappear. Cricket's not going anywhere, either; it's got one of the highest participation rates worldwide of any sport.

So maybe, just maybe, get off your soapbox and stop screaming 'The End is Nigh!'. You're not as bad as your last loss, nor are you as good as your last win, and just because we lost a series to India over here isn't the reason to consign things to the rubbish bin.

Last edited:

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The nigh constant 'The sky is FALLING!!!' rhetoric, whether it's talking about the death of long form cricket or it's talking about the most recent loss.

It makes it incredibly annoying for someone who can't watch as much cricket as I'd like to have to read match reports without more opinion and hyperbole than a richmond supporter penning an unauthorized Dustin Martin biopic. And while test cricket is clearly not the main priority worldwide, I gain no particular satisfaction from watching Australia play versus a good series between other countries. Good cricket is still good cricket, and we've had more good matches recently than poor.

The Olympics isn't a priority for some countries, yet there's enough money to go around to support that, and the ICC has a vested interest in itself in perpetuity. Test cricket isn't going to suddenly disappear. Cricket's not going anywhere, either; it's got one of the highest participation rates worldwide of any sport.

So maybe, just maybe, get off your soapbox and stop screaming 'The End is Nigh!'. You're not as bad as your last loss, nor are you as good as your last win, and just because we lost a series to India over here isn't the reason to consign things to the rubbish bin.

I think something that has contributed to this is that most of the recent generations of cricket followers grew up with not one but two all time great teams following directly on from one another. Three really if you chuck SA in there who were a step down but still a sensational team.

With no out and out gun sides at the moment it may feel like the quality has diminished but evenness shouldn’t be mistaken for a drop in the quality of the product.

At any given period in test cricket, MOST teams have been average. Which is exactly what we have now.

This isn’t something that’s happened to me a lot and I would only have myself to blame if I got out but on Saturday I had a work colleague keeping wicket while I was batting. I got beaten outside off stump and was batting out of my crease. As I went to literally say ‘geez that’s a good ball mate’ to the bowler, the cheeky c*** threw my stumps down JUST after I remembered to put my foot in the crease.

Dusty is a very good player

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Perth not being prioritised as a test venue (say what you want about new stadium, 60k capacity etc.) when Optus Stadium has shown that it can produce good cricket and the 3 hour time difference provides a natural prime time viewing window without needing to be a day/night test.

BBL not using DRS but needing the third umpire for obvious run outs and analysing 17 replays to determine if a ball went for 4 or 6.

Commentators saying 'batter'. Sounds stupid.

Slow over rates being the responsibility of the fielding side. Watching the Ashes with Ben Stokes and Specky McGee was infuriating. How hard is it to bat for 5, 10, 15 overs without needing new gloves? If your bat snaps or you get hit on the bonce and need a new lid then pause the game. Otherwise get on with it.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
We all know the type of commentator responsible, but it annoys me when there is still plenty of time remaining in the match, some commentators trying to prove to the world how attacking they were as players, start making ridiculous comments like "250 lead is plenty, get them in" when there's still a day and half remaining. I hear it quite often and it grinds my gears as I believe declarations are more about time remaining than actual runs.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Isha referring to the 3rd man position as third.

Not sure if whether it’s introducing “cool” short form lexicon to t20 cause t20 is the format that targets youth.

Not that it was done for any cool reason but it always shat me when anyone in close on either side was called bat pad.

I was raised as onside being short leg and off side being silly point or silly mid off if they were a bit straighter

Not that it was done for any cool reason but it always shat me when anyone in close on either side was called bat pad.

I was raised as onside being short leg and off side being silly point or silly mid off if they were a bit straighter

Examples of incorrect use please.

Bag pad for mine is on the leg side yes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Isha referring to the 3rd man position as third.

Not sure if whether it’s introducing “cool” short form lexicon to t20 cause t20 is the format that targets youth.
Third man is an odd descriptor if you've spent a lifetime playing women's cricket, perhaps?

Fudge Nuggets

Team Captain
Dec 27, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Determining your world champion based on which team hit the most 6's. Either keep playing super overs until there is a winner or declare both teams co-champions. Why should boundaries be given more importance than wickets?

I can't imagine the riots that would break out in the USA if the World Series champion was decided by which team hit the most home runs.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
commentators speech patterns. When Guptill was dismissed "He's scored 200 (can't recall exact total) runs in the series at a strike rate of 170, has Martin Guptill." no-one speaks like this IRL, yet all the commentators do this.

In fairness that’s why it is commentary and not just ‘audio of two pissed c***s at the pub.’

In fairness that’s why it is commentary and not just ‘audio of two pissed c***s at the pub.’

true. but sometimes audio of two pissed c***s at the pub would be more enjoyable when the actual commentary goes on tangents unrelated to cricket

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Biggest pet hate is the boundary line reviews. This has been so over complicated for no reason. It should not matter at all where the fielding player is he just has to stop the ball hitting the boundary rope. We are having reviews and wasting time when the ball is not even close to the rope.

DRS for LBW is just ridiculous, in fact I reckon the umpires were getting the same percentage right that we are getting now. It is also very strange that every umpires call review seems to be hitting only half the stumps, never ever see them hitting all of the stumps. It's as if they are following the commentary team that its close and they just have set data to show us it was close. The ball tracking is miles off in my opinion.

Wides down leg side have become to harsh on the bowler, seriously any ball going down leg was free runs and an easy scoring shot 30 years ago, now they deem it that the player could not score off it and give them literally free runs for being a crap batsman.

Back