Opinion Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUT: Burns, Voges, Mennie, Lyon
IN: S Marsh (If fit), Klinger, O'Keefe , Bird

No way, enough of the pensioners there needs to be some youth come through this team immediately. Bancroft, Patterson and Handscomb are 3 of 5 or 6 batsmen who i believe are ready to go. Agar or O'Keefe for Lyon, both can use the willow as well.

Where the next Aussie keeper comes from idk, ain't many standouts. Bancroft can keep, but if he was picked will be purely as a batsman. But Neville has to go ain't bad with the gloves, and has ok technique but very rarely makes a score.

Never liked Warner. Never liked the basis for why he got into the national team, and the basis for why he stays there (T20 for #1, butt buddies as a NSW player for #2).

If you think Dave Warner is the problem, then you might want to take up another game. How he got into the team means zero in 2016.

He is the best and most damaging player in the team, averages 49 as an opener and has an 18/22 100/50 conversion rate. Regularly saves 20-30 runs in the field as our best fieldsman and has a good pair of hands. Doesnt he also back up the wicket keeper too?

The only knock on Warner is his inability to turn 100's in 200's.

If you think Dave Warner is the problem, then you might want to take up another game. How he got into the team means zero in 2016.

He is the best and most damaging player in the team, averages 49 as an opener and has an 18/22 100/50 conversion rate. Regularly saves 20-30 runs in the field as our best fieldsman and has a good pair of hands. Doesnt he also back up the wicket keeper too?

The only knock on Warner is his inability to turn 100's in 200's.
He is a problem. And it's not solely about how he uses a length of wood.

Otherwise that Garlett kid would still be playing football.

No way, enough of the pensioners there needs to be some youth come through this team immediately. Bancroft, Patterson and Handscomb are 3 of 5 or 6 batsmen who i believe are ready to go. Agar or O'Keefe for Lyon, both can use the willow as well.

Where the next Aussie keeper comes from idk, ain't many standouts. Bancroft can keep, but if he was picked will be purely as a batsman. But Neville has to go ain't bad with the gloves, and has ok technique but very rarely makes a score.

I do disagree, in my opinion it needs to be on form. Id like to see Bancroft in there but named Marsh as he was in good form prior to injury. Neville is on notice but I am not sure that Bancroft is test standard keeper plus he would be in as an opener which would be a massive drain. Hanscombe?

Klinger would give the side some much needed steel in the top/middle order

It's a toss up between Agar and O'Keefe so I'll give you that.

You shouldn't develop talent in test matches in my opinion.

OUT: Burns, Voges, Mennie, Lyon
IN: S Marsh (If fit), Klinger, O'Keefe , Bird

Good idea, let's add a few more old, average journeymen to the team, that will solve all our woes :thumbsu:

It has to be time to put some young guys in. Our best players are Smith, Warner, Starc and Hazlewood, all of who were given a go at a young age to allow them to grow into themselves in the team. No more 32yo journeymen debuting. No more sticking with a 37yo that averages 20.5 against anyone not named NZ or WI. No more sticking with a 31yo keeper that can't bat, and is in the team only for his keeping, but misses simple stumpings. No more putting up with a spinner that you hope can take 2-3 wickets in Australia, and you know will take 0 in India.

Good idea, let's add a few more old, average journeymen to the team, that will solve all our woes :thumbsu:

It has to be time to put some young guys in. Our best players are Smith, Warner, Starc and Hazlewood, all of who were given a go at a young age to allow them to grow into themselves in the team. No more 32yo journeymen debuting. No more sticking with a 37yo that averages 20.5 against anyone not named NZ or WI. No more sticking with a 31yo keeper that can't bat, and is in the team only for his keeping, but misses simple stumpings. No more putting up with a spinner that you hope can take 2-3 wickets in Australia, and you know will take 0 in India.

As stated above introducing raw talent is not what the test side needs. It needs a solid spine. Consistent and match fit bowlers I cant see more youth is the answer.

Firstly piss off the one day domestic series format and have a decent lead in of shield games as a lead in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much this...

We need Patto back desperately as well...

We are not only being out batted by the length of Flemington straight, our bowlers are getting an absolute lesson by the visiting team. I doubt Mennie gets another test as he simply doesnt hit the deck hard enough for mine.

As stated above introducing raw talent is not what the test side needs. It needs a solid spine. Consistent and match fit bowlers I cant see more youth is the answer.

Firstly piss off the one day domestic series format and have a decent lead in of shield games as a lead in

Have to agree to disagree on the make-up of the team. I can't see how solid journeymen will help. Smith, Root, Kohli, Starc, Hazlewood, De Kock, Rabada, these are some of the best players in the world right now, and they all debuted young.

Couldn't agree more about the structure of the domestic season though. One FC game before the test matches start is absolutely ridiculous. Why is there not another FC game going on concurrently to the second test? What happens when we now want replacements, but they won't have played for a fortnight? Ridiculous scheduling, and it seems CA's chase for $$$$ has finally caught up with the test team.

Im not suggesting that it should necessarily be older players what I am saying is you shouldn't be developing your game at test level. If you have enough skills at 19 to contribute to the side, then great you're in but if you have any deficiencies they will get found out pretty quickly.

Test Cricket is the best of the best, not what might one day be the best

So a solid spine of old farts that have taken 10 years to break into the test side because the well is dry is the answer? We need to expose our best talent now to get them ready for the Ashes and other upcoming series. Sure, they might fail and might be in and out of the team for a couple of years but the current crop of 'solid spine' players are failing anyway. 5 tests in a row.

Whoever is doing the laundry for the Aussie team has a hard task because 8 players officially shat themselves.

Who would have thought a few years ago that Kuwaja would be one of the first batsmen picked.

Im not suggesting that it should necessarily be older players what I am saying is you shouldn't be developing your game at test level. If you have enough skills at 19 to contribute to the side, then great you're in but if you have any deficiencies they will get found out pretty quickly.

Test Cricket is the best of the best, not what might one day be the best

Mate, this is Australia. Unless you are Punter, you dont get a crack in the test team before you are 28.

As i was saying earlier, an Amir, Rabada, Kohli, Root etc doesnt get a gig in the test team until they are 'ready' in the eyes of the selectors or from NSW. The whole system needs a shake up imho

So a solid spine of old farts that have taken 10 years to break into the test side because the well is dry is the answer? We need to expose our best talent now to get them ready for the Ashes and other upcoming series. Sure, they might fail and might be in and out of the team for a couple of years but the current crop of 'solid spine' players are failing anyway. 5 tests in a row.

Again, its more about whoever as the skills to play at test level. Whether they are 16 or 40. Sheffield Shield is where players develop their skills not test matches.

Mate, this is Australia. Unless you are Punter, you dont get a crack in the test team before you are 28.

As i was saying earlier, an Amir, Rabada, Kohli, Root etc doesnt get a gig in the test team until they are 'ready' in the eyes of the selectors or from NSW. The whole system needs a shake up imho

Agree there

I do disagree, in my opinion it needs to be on form. Id like to see Bancroft in there but named Marsh as he was in good form prior to injury. Neville is on notice but I am not sure that Bancroft is test standard keeper plus he would be in as an opener which would be a massive drain. Hanscombe?

Klinger would give the side some much needed steel in the top/middle order

It's a toss up between Agar and O'Keefe so I'll give you that.

You shouldn't develop talent in test matches in my opinion.

Klinger would be ok, not totally against that.

But you make the point that it has to be on form, Handscomb has been consistent for 2 or 3 seasons now in first class and one day cricket. Patterson had a great season last year and has started well this year. Bancroft is a little green and hasn't had the best start this season but was brilliant last season. He has the ability to grind out an innings. Something this team seriously struggles with. It's not about developing talent, there are younger guys around the country in terrific form and aren't even considered.

If it were up to me I'd have both Handscomb and Patterson in the next 11, both are in great form so forget their age they are actually in good enough knick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back