Opinion Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
to be honest I think Starc has underperformed a little considering the physical gifts and talent he has. Tall left armers who bowl 150 k and swing it. Hell he could have been a great. Just don't think he has the cricketing brain of the very best bowlers

Brain or heart? His best is awesome - my favourite cricket watching memory was being at the G at the '15 World Cup Final when he skittled McCullum - but his worst is terrible and when he's at his worst, as he was in the second innings in Sydney and Brisbane, he carries himself like a bloke who looks totally lost.

to be honest I think Starc has underperformed a little considering the physical gifts and talent he has. Tall left armers who bowl 150 k and swing it. Hell he could have been a great. Just don't think he has the cricketing brain of the very best bowlers

I think there is a degree of truth in that. There has been plenty of times when he has frustrated me with the decisions he makes when bowling. Things like bowling 6 short balls in an over to a tail-ender when just one full straight delivery would cause them all sorts of trouble. I am also not sure we have had a great bowling attack since Craig McDermott. He had the bowlers bowling smart and got fantastic results from an attack that was James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, and Ben Hilfenhaus. Pattinson was a generational talent but the other two were solid test bowlers at best (Siddle got a lot out of his ability - smart). They took India's best ever batting line-up apart.

Themanbun yeah Sammie is bit upset but umpiring not an easy gig.

It's pretty easy on TV slow motion replays from a million angles and hotspot etc etc but out there it's tough.

He heard a noise and thought out. He got it wrong but umps shouldn't be so crucified for doing their best imo.

Yeah it was a s**t decision but Marsh was carrying on like a tool and embarassing himself. He already ruled himself out for how long with a broken hand after going bananas when going out?

Philippe is the one I've lost a lot of respect for. Shouldn't have gone up.

I think there is a degree of truth in that. There has been plenty of times when he has frustrated me with the decisions he makes when bowling. Things like bowling 6 short balls in an over to a tail-ender when just one full straight delivery would cause them all sorts of trouble. I am also not sure we have had a great bowling attack since Craig McDermott. He had the bowlers bowling smart and got fantastic results from an attack that was James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, and Ben Hilfenhaus. Pattinson was a generational talent but the other two were solid test bowlers at best (Siddle got a lot out of his ability - smart). They took India's best ever batting line-up apart.

I think early Siddle is underrated. Bowled 150kph inswingers. I watched a doco with the English test team and they were saying they were absolutely terrified of him.

Marsh should have been suspended.

Disgraceful look for cricket and him as a person.

Fines don't hurt, probably carries that amount in his wallet. Suspensions do hurt.

Sam is disappointed but accepts it.

Philippe is the one I've lost a lot of respect for. Shouldn't have gone up.

Correct. Maybe had he not appealed so much when he knew it wasn't out, then Perth would have made more and the Tye/Vince wide thing wouldn't have happened.

I reckon what Tye did was ordinary but didn't affect the result at all. Philippe's appeal might have. You are allowed to withdraw an appeal if you know it wasn't out. No one's going to do that so don't appeal in the first place.

Also, Marsh was dudded but his response should have got him suspended. Goose.

Also, Marsh was dudded but his response should have got him suspended. Goose.

Complete lack of respect for umpires and the game itself.

Sam tried to reach him after game as knew wrong decision in hindsight and Marsh wouldn't speak to him.

What an absolute tosser.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus SpiderBurton22 imo not talking to my mate after game as still sooking is pathetic imo.

Christ Sam didn't mean to get it wrong ffs

In my experience goal umpiring in local footy, every now and again a situation comes along where you are in the right spot, you have all the evidence, and you have a second or two tops to put it all together to make a decision. And then you know about half way through your signal that it's a shocker. And for all the abuse you get from players or the crowd, no one feels worse about it than you. But you can't just change it.

That's not excusing mistakes - I've made a few howlers, and your mate Sam's call last night was a big one on national TV - luckily the Eastern Footy League hasn't a national audience yet. He'd be feeling ordinary about it and chances are he won't be at the BBL final next week. But Mitch Marsh, as frustrated as he was, might want to think about all the stupid shots, dropped sitters and pies he's bowled (and times he either hit the cover of a keeper's catch as was given not, or been given a pole for a ball that pitched inches outside leg) before gobbing off.

Last edited:
So why was Marsh only fined, yet a bloke earlier in the comp was suspended?

Because the "Marsh" family are a protected species.

Geoff Marsh wasn't any good anyway unless want to go to sleep.

Because the "Marsh" family are a protected species.

Geoff Marsh wasn't any good anyway unless want to go to sleep.
I was think along the lines of the suspended player has made a point of voicing his displeasure at being left out of national sides previously, so maybe the "authorities" decided to get one back at him.

But yeah MM is a massive dickhead and he is his own worst enemy. I hope someone has sat him down and given it to him with both barrels - a genuine reality check.

I was think along the lines of the suspended player has made a point of voicing his displeasure at being left out of national sides previously, so maybe the "authorities" decided to get one back at him.

But yeah MM is a massive dickhead and he is his own worst enemy. I hope someone has sat him down and given it to him with both barrels - a genuine reality check.

That's actually a good point. Adam Zampa got a game for an audible obscenity, the Stars lost the game that had they won they'd have made the finals.

Mitch Marsh avoids ban, cops $5,000 fine for BBL umpire outburst - ABC News

Clearly Marsh here said "Fuzz" and that's not an obscenity and it wasn't audible anyway. Zampa said "F*********CKKKKKK" and everyone in a 5 mile radius heard it.

Either that or Zampa has said "Fuzz" before whereas Marsh doesn't even know what "Fuzz" means,.

That's actually a good point. Adam Zampa got a game for an audible obscenity, the Stars lost the game that had they won they'd have made the finals.

Mitch Marsh avoids ban, cops $5,000 fine for BBL umpire outburst - ABC News

Clearly Marsh here said "Fuzz" and that's not an obscenity and it wasn't audible anyway. Zampa said "F*********CKKKKKK" and everyone in a 5 mile radius heard it.

Either that or Zampa has said "Fuzz" before whereas Marsh doesn't even know what "Fuzz" means,.

Zampa was a repeat offender, that's why he got suspended.

I think early Siddle is underrated. Bowled 150kph inswingers. I watched a doco with the English test team and they were saying they were absolutely terrified of him.

I like Sidds but he hasn't bowled close to 150kph for well over a decade. He was never an elite strike bowler but adapted really well to that workhorse/stock bowler role that could bowl 8 to 10 over spells when needed. I think he got everything out of his ability and was probably never better than when McDermott was bowling coach.

I like Sidds but he hasn't bowled close to 150kph for well over a decade. He was never an elite strike bowler but adapted really well to that workhorse/stock bowler role that could bowl 8 to 10 over spells when needed. I think he got everything out of his ability and was probably never better than when McDermott was bowling coach.

All I'm really saying is that he was at the peak of his powers circa 2012 in that India series (he also ripped through South Africa that year), as was Ben Hilfenhaus. Pattinson as you say was a generational talent at that point. I'm not really disagreeing that they got fantastic results.

But we tend to remember Sids' bang it in workhorse type transition and not his fast, aggressive swing and seam bowling that he brought to the table in the early part of his test career.

Hilf was starting to hit his straps, got injured then just faded into obscurity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back