Opinion Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol now Broad of all people is accusing the Australians of a long term ball tampering regime.

2DF2B28800000578-0-image-m-2_1446329634385.jpg

The same Stuart Broad who faked a foot injury to use up time while his team madly scambled for the "bad light" defence?

Doyen of integrity.

4241263.jpg

Despite GR even posting that synopsis of other tamperers, our own folk (on here and via media) are acting like these blokes just killed someone.

It was a balls-up. But geeze I wish all the other cricket balls-ups were treated with such furor.

I tend to agree KC .Normally I enjoy the Aussie cricket team being on the back foot but I think its getting a little over the top !

In the long run though it may do that team culture a bit of good to have some humiliation thrown its way...

4241263.jpg

Despite GR even posting that synopsis of other tamperers, our own folk (on here and via media) are acting like these blokes just killed someone.

It was a balls-up. But geeze I wish all the other cricket balls-ups were treated with such furor.

True and people are also forgetting that the ICC sanctions were for Smith to miss a test and Bancroft and Warner able to play. An indication to me that it was barely considered semi-serious by them.

I tend to agree KC .Normally I enjoy the Aussie cricket team being on the back foot but I think its getting a little over the top !

In the long
4241263.jpg

As I said earlier this has gone past the ball tampering. What the Aussies did was the most blatent disregard of the laws since Afridi thought the ball was an apple and tried to eat it. Smith and Bancroft got correct sanctions there.

The current issue is how CA want their players to represent the country and the standards they must uphold, now and in the future.
If they were ok with their behaviour then the ICC sanvtions would be the end of it. Any further sanctions CA apply will be about this issue.

As I said earlier this has gone past the ball tampering. What the Aussies did was the most blatent disregard of the laws since Afridi thought the ball was an apple and tried to eat it. Smith and Bancroft got correct sanctions there.

The current issue is how CA want their players to represent the country and the standards they must uphold, now and in the future.
If they were ok with their behaviour then the ICC sanvtions would be the end of it. Any further sanctions CA apply will be about this issue.

Were you as outrated when de Kok decided to get personal? Or Rabada thought it was now a contact sport? Or when Sri Lanka saturated a pitch after the kiwis decided to bat first? Or India threatened to fly home because they were "racially targeted" for racially targeting an opposition player?

Were you as outrated when de Kok decided to get personal? Or Rabada thought it was now a contact sport? Or when Sri Lanka saturated a pitch after the kiwis decided to bat first? Or India threatened to fly home because they were "racially targeted" for racially targeting an opposition player?

But as Spider points out .This is about how CA wants its players to behave. Not much you can do about other nations and their behaviour.
I think its over the top, but the point is a large part of the Aussie public is cheesed off & when you have TV rights about to be renegotiated with nervous sponsors it becomes a serious issue.
Hence CA using a bomb to get rid of an ants nest

Well Warner overreacted to De Kocks comments, and after his track record of carrying on had no right to be so moralistic, even his behaviour in the test before that moment was a disgrace. Not condoning the comments DeKock made and beating bullying by bullying is not great but nothing Warner should claim moral superiority on

Ive had people accidentally walk into me on the street harder than Rabada bumped into smith, lets not put too much mayo on it. Again the bullying and shithouse behaviour of the aussies incited these reactions.

The other points yep agree ******* ordinary but that doesn't give these guys an out to escape criticism, considering the whinging we have done over issues like pitch doctoring and even ball tampering.

Topped off by the entitled way they took industrial action, which I supported originally as on face value they were concerned about the lower level shield players but then quickly turned against them when that instead of personally ensuring they kept in good touch (whilst they would have otherwise been training) they are instagramming pics in the maldives with comments like "My first day of unemployment" talk about a slap in the face to the regular Joe.

To be honest this is more of the last straw, these guys make millions to do what I'd do for free then act like the world owes them something, * off

If ******* sick of this lot, hope Smith and Warner * off for good and that ******* jellyfish sutherland joins em.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things are so bad in Australian cricket at the moment that even Gavin Robertson is being described as an "Aussie test great".

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...a/news-story/0fe412945dcb7cd6fa9fbed961450e8f
The ex-brother in law was a team-mate and band-mate (not Six And Out) of Robertson and heard some very funny stories about him, he sounded like a guy who took the piss at his 4-test status better than anyone else. Got to hear his voice-mail back in the day which was a hilarious self smack down of his test career. Wouldn't put it past that he's egged on the sub-editor to put in "Aussie Test Great" for a laugh.

The ex-brother in law was a team-mate and band-mate (not Six And Out) of Robertson and heard some very funny stories about him, he sounded like a guy who took the piss at his 4-test status better than anyone else. Got to hear his voice-mail back in the day which was a hilarious self smack down of his test career. Wouldn't put it past that he's egged on the sub-editor to put in "Aussie Test Great" for a laugh.

Richard Chee Quee ?

4241263.jpg

What do you expect?

We are a nation that has been brainwashed to bark on command to Pavlovian outrage cues.

If you're not outraged, you're an a-hole, and automatically excommunicated..

What do you expect?

We are a nation that has been brainwashed to bark on command to Pavlovian outrage cues.

If you're not outraged, you're an a-hole, and automatically excommunicated..

I dont know about that, I gave my reasons. I was pissed off with this lot well before the sticky tape was manufactured

Lol now Broad of all people is accusing the Australians of a long term ball tampering regime.

No evidence, just claiming it as fact.

Says that we swung the ball every session during the ashes (my ass) and that the conditions had no right to allow it, so they must have been tampering with it.

Someone should bring up the ashes with him a few years back where England were swinging it over a foot, even with a close to new ball and ask him what technique england were using.

The world would be a lot better place if someone had tampered with his fathers balls.

I'm not outraged at all. I know how cricket operates. South Africa aren't blameless in this situation. In fact a lot of teams like playing the victim when they play Australia. This still doesn't diminish the fact that the Aussies are seen as bullies and gathered that reputation for a reason.

You may see this ball tampering incident as a reasonably minor issue, which in isolation I agree but..... when in the previous few tests you have

1- Warner carrying on like a flog after a regulation run out.
2 - Lyon sanctioned for disrepecting an opponent by dropping a ball on him once dismissed,
3 - Mitch Marsh sanctioned for abusing the bowler who just knocked his stumps over.
4 - Warner sanctioned for his part in the De Kok blow up and then
5 - Discover that the leaders of the team organised during a lunch break a plan to bring a foreign object onto the ground to alter the state of the ball.

This is the straw that broke the camels back and has forced CA's hand. Inaction by CA in the past has allowed this so called bullying culture to continue down the years.

It's fair to me to expect CA to ask questions about the culture of our team, and the fitness of the people in charge, on and off the ground, that lead our country. I also think it's fair that CA apply whatever sanction they think is reasonable if they believe these cricketers further punishment.

My guess at the outcome is that the 3 players will get bans of varying length. Smith will make it back, but only as a player. Warner will serve his ban but will be shunned from the Test team due to him burning his bridges with his team mates and officials in the same way Carey and Akermanis did. He'll then hit the T20 circuit with not a * given. Bancroft will head back to State cricket and struggle to get another chance at the top level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back