Opinion Cricket thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadByron

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really like how Wagner goes about his bowling.

Pretty fast, aggressive and seems to love the game and combative nature of it.

Need more of that in Test cricket.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Are we just home deck bullies or are NZ seriously overrated at number 2?
All the major test playing nations are home deck bullies. To rise in the rankings you have to deliver decent results away.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
yeah yet again we tour Aussie, dont play a tour game and then wonder why we struggle
If Aussie keep Cummins, Starc and Lyons fit then they will be very hard to beat
Having said that there were some positives in Wagner and Southee.

I do think they have to have a look at the pitches for pink ball tests though as too much advantage batting first. The groundsman took all the grass off the track
as they don't want it nipping everywhere under lights, but then the pitch cracks up plus the side bowling first gets bugger all movement

I think there should be some thought from the Captains when the toss is made about batting or bowling. if its just a no brainer to bat first then the groundsmen havent done their job and its too much advantage to the side batting first.If they leave some grass on the pitch then the side batting first needs to earn their runs for the first session

yeah yet again we tour Aussie, dont play a tour game and then wonder why we struggle

I do think they have to have a look at the pitches for pink ball tests though as too much advantage batting first. The groundsman took all the grass off the track
as they don't want it nipping everywhere under lights, but then the pitch cracks up plus the side bowling first gets bugger all movement

I think there should be some thought from the Captains when the toss is made about batting or bowling. if its just a no brainer to bat first then the groundsmen havent done their job and its too much advantage to the side batting first.If they leave some grass on the pitch then the side batting first needs to earn their runs for the first session
I dont entirely disagree, but a day night pitch that immediately favours the bowler could get done inside 2.5 to 3 days. Could still be entertaining though.

spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers

Nah, the pitch was fantastic. You just fecked it up batting under lights on day 2.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nah, the pitch was fantastic. You just fecked it up batting under lights on day 2.

I don't disagree, it was a good pitch
I just think it was too good day 1, but deteriorated quite markedly days 3 & 4

Now i don't mind a pitch that changes, but needs to be fair

eg you want to bat first ..thats fine, but you'll have to put up with some grass on the pitch and some assistance. the advantage is you don't bat last.
you bowl first..you get some assistance and then perhaps bat when conditions are best, but you have to bat last

and you're right..It wasn't a 170 all out pitch on day. I'd just like to see a more even contest between bat & ball in the first 2 sessions.

spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers

eg you want to bat first ..thats fine, but you'll have to put up with some grass on the pitch and some assistance. the advantage is you don't bat last.
you bowl first..you get some assistance and then perhaps bat when conditions are best, but you have to bat last

and you're right..It wasn't a 170 all out pitch on day. I'd just like to see a more even contest between bat & ball in the first 2 sessions.
You can't get anymore fair than a coin toss, and you lost the test when you lost the toss IMO.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You can't get anymore fair than a coin toss, and you lost the test when you lost the toss IMO.

yep that's exactly my point, There's too much advantage to the side winning the toss ,especially in pink ball cricket, (unless you're English and decide to bowl first on a road !)

put some grass on the tracks and it will be a different story.

ps not trying to denigrate the Aussie performance because they played this near on perfect. They played conservatively, kept their wickets intact for the evening session and then managed to have a couple of good cracks at NZ in the evening sessions with fresh bowlers

you always bat first, since cricket began:

When you win the toss – bat. If you are in doubt, think about it, then bat. If you have very big doubts, consult a colleague – then bat WG Grace

The pink ball did swing in the first session and the points were probably even at lunch.

I think they should do away with tossing the coin and instead take in turns to decide if they bat or bowl.

It’s practically the deciding factor of most matches.
It will make it more of a level playing field

I've been saying this for years. Toss for the first game in a series and then take it in turns on deciding.

spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers
yep that's exactly my point, There's too much advantage to the side winning the toss ,especially in pink ball cricket, (unless you're English and decide to bowl first on a road !)

put some grass on the tracks and it will be a different story.

ps not trying to denigrate the Aussie performance because they played this near on perfect. They played conservatively, kept their wickets intact for the evening session and then managed to have a couple of good cracks at NZ in the evening sessions with fresh bowlers
Great post mate. Hopefully the MCG isn't as green as it was a few weeks ago in the shield game - WA V Vics....that was a bit too green. I have a bad feeling that the G will be another road. Bolt will help you big time. We don't like the ball swinging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back