Opinion Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m tired. Worth it. Kane Williamson also amazing - again some extraordinary work from Josh Hazlewood, with those late wickets, gave Australia a better chance. But it was the highest batting total at a World Cup final anyway, so huge by Warner, Marsh and Maxwell to run it down so easily. Mitch Marsh first balls faced 6, 4, 4. Just wow.

I've just pumped up Mitch Marsh cos he's an absolute gun in white ball cricket but listening to the hyperbole about him now on SEN about bringing him into the Ashes is so off the mark.
absolutely, white ball only, that's still great.

Kinda like how smith doesn't look great in T20's more often than not. He's an amazing test player, still great.

We even dominate at the mickey-mouse version, lol NZ. NZ had its tyres pumped up all tournament and couldn't defend a really high total when it mattered.

We even dominate at the mickey-mouse version, lol NZ. NZ had its tyres pumped up all tournament and couldn't defend a really high total when it mattered.

TBF, I don't think NZ had their tyres pumped up. They came in similar to us, hoping for a semi result.

England, India and to a lesser extent Pakistan were talked up as big boys for the tournaments.

Also this tournament was dominated by teams that batted 2nd. Think at the final venue it was 11-1 for the team batting 2nd.

TBF, I don't think NZ had their tyres pumped up. They came in similar to us, hoping for a semi result.

England, India and to a lesser extent Pakistan were talked up as big boys for the tournaments.

Also this tournament was dominated by teams that batted 2nd. Think at the final venue it was 11-1 for the team batting 2nd.
Talking externally.

They were regarded as favourites for most of the tournament and we were expected bow out fairly early by many of our own fans.

You might wanna see the amount of articles that were being pumped out about how good NZ is, the good guys of cricket, etc.... It was reaching nauseating levels.

Bit harsh mate. All the pre tournament talk was on England , Pakistan and India. Plus we lost our first game to Pakistan. So not sure where the pumping up of our tyres all Tournament comes from

Aussie just batted really well. That's cricket

Bit harsh mate. All the pre tournament talk was on England , Pakistan and India. Plus we lost our first game to Pakistan. So not sure where the pumping up of our tyres all Tournament comes from

Aussie just batted really well. That's cricket

Yep, NZ weren't even favourites in the final

Talking externally.

They were regarded as favourites for most of the tournament and we were expected bow out fairly early by many of our own fans.

You might wanna see the amount of articles that were being pumped out about how good NZ is, the good guys of cricket, etc.... It was reaching nauseating levels.
most of it was from the Aussie and English Newspapers.. and most of it was when we qualified for the final

and more importantly it was deserved:

Won the Test Cricket championship
Got beaten in the 50 over World Cup by a countback, plus made the previous World Cup final
Made the T-20 final

its a hell of an achievement for a small cricket nation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch and Shaun have coped a lot over the years, including from me, but good on him for standing up when it mattered. He has been a rock for our a 20-20 top order and is best-suited to the format in comparison to the others.

Mitch and Shaun have coped a lot over the years, including from me, but good on him for standing up when it mattered. He has been a rock for our a 20-20 top order and is best-suited to the format in comparison to the others.

Have any players in history had the media/cricket establishment fan club that the Marsh brothers enjoy? I am very happy for Mitch and he seems like a really decent young bloke but the instant push for him to be reinstated to the test team is absolutely ridiculous. He has always been a good to very good short format cricketer due to his power-hitting ability. He is a failed test cricketer though. Statistically the worst top 6 batsman we have had in a hundred years and has been given plenty of opportunities.

I would be very happy for him to become a permanent member of both the 50 and 20 over teams, and could possibly be a captaincy option post Finch, but he should never be picked for the test team again.

Have any players in history had the media/cricket establishment fan club that the Marsh brothers enjoy? I am very happy for Mitch and he seems like a really decent young bloke but the instant push for him to be reinstated to the test team is absolutely ridiculous. He has always been a good to very good short format cricketer due to his power-hitting ability. He is a failed test cricketer though. Statistically the worst top 6 batsman we have had in a hundred years and has been given plenty of opportunities.

I would be very happy for him to become a permanent member of both the 50 and 20 over teams, and could possibly be a captaincy option post Finch, but he should never be picked for the test team again.
Probably not, especially considering the fan/media divide on them both.

Both are limited overs players with techniques/mentality that cannot survive test level, which is limited a tiny percentage of high level cricketers.

Probably not, especially considering the fan/media divide on them both.

Both are limited overs players with techniques/mentality that cannot survive test level, which is limited a tiny percentage of high level cricketers.

Both brothers have been given so many chances. A lot of guys who have been outstanding players at Shield level have been given 3 or fewer tests to prove they can make the grade. Mitch has been given 32 tests to prove that he can't.

I can't believe the push to get him in the test side coming from so many quarters. How many stuff ups does it take to learn that you can't pick test players based on t20 form? Surely nobody seriously thinks he should replace Green in the test team.

I can't believe the push to get him in the test side coming from so many quarters. How many stuff ups does it take to learn that you can't pick test players based on t20 form? Surely nobody seriously thinks he should replace Green in the test team.
I tink you are overestimating the Australian selectors.

Full Ashes squad:
Tim Paine (capt), Pat Cummins, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Michael Neser, Jhye Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner.

Additional Australia A players:
Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Henry Hunt, Josh Inglis, Nic Maddinson, Mitchell Marsh, Matt Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street

Full Ashes squad:
Tim Paine (capt), Pat Cummins, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Michael Neser, Jhye Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner.

Additional Australia A players:
Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Henry Hunt, Josh Inglis, Nic Maddinson, Mitchell Marsh, Matt Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street
I'd go with:

Harris
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Paine
Cummins
Stark
Lyon
Hazlewood