Opinion Cricket thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cowards really. If it wasn't a problem for them in 2017, then it shouldn't be now.

Warney would be spinning in his grave.

Typical of CA. They have been a rabble for years. They could have been transparent and the issue would have been over but chose not to. Now that sweeping it under the rug has come back to bite them on the arse

Cowards really. If it wasn't a problem for them in 2017, then it shouldn't be now.

Warney would be spinning in his grave.
Paine said he was told it was going public, so who released the messages, CA or the woman?

Why in 2017 find it was all above board, then now he's forced to step down to save the face of CA?

RHLK

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Subiaco
Was Paine picked for tests because he was the best keeper/batsman in Australia? Nup, picked to skipper in the absence of Smith. Paine out, Josh Inglis in. 🕺

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So if Paine isn’t captain, is he out of the team?

Looking more likely.

CA can use his injury as an excuse, but it will take a lot of heat off the Aussies if he isn't there.

Will be interesting to see which way they go. Alex Carey has been waiting in the wings for awhile, but Josh Ingless has come with a bullet lately.

I reckon they'll go with Carey.

travelli

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Paine said he was told it was going public, so who released the messages, CA or the woman?

Why in 2017 find it was all above board, then now he's forced to step down to save the face of CA?
And am I reading it right, did they make him captain after this texting thing happened?

So they handled it in channel, promoted him as captain afterwards, and then decided he wasn't fit for captaincy when it hit the media...

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
And am I reading it right, did they make him captain after this texting thing happened?

So they handled it in channel, promoted him as captain afterwards, and then decided he wasn't fit for captaincy when it hit the media...

Pretty much. Cricket Australia and Cricket Tasmania come out of this worse than Paine. It's not what you do, it's what you can get away with.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Maybe - I suspect he may stay on as keeper, but not captain. Might be Smiths chance to step up up, again.

It's a deeper issue than I can fathom.

I personally can't understand why a bloke, any bloke, and especially a bloke in the public eye would do what Paine did. I'm a happily married man and just cannot get my head around his motivation. I just don't get it. It's idiotic. What a flog. But is he the first Australian captain to be a flog? No. Should my values be what the standard is? Maybe not.

But from what I've seen of the text chain, it was between two consensual adults who broke no laws. Tacky yes (IMO). Illegal no. Would Paine be the first Australian captain to be unfaithful to his family? Almost certainly not. To be crass and stupid? Almost certainly not. We've had Prime Ministers who has been celebrated as 'womanisers'. The current heir to the Commonwealth throne wanted to be his mistress's tampon whilst married to the mother of the third in line. But times have changed.

And if it happened in 2017, what's the statute of limitations on this? What if Cummins did the same 4 years ago, or Smith ten years back? Are they automatically removed from such a role? This year we had England's Ollie Robinson suspended from a game for something racist he said nearly 10 years back. When he was just only legally an adult. I think I'm pretty clean, but would I want my employer to know every misdemeanour I made from my youth and have them hold it over me. But Paine wasn't in his youth at the time. What if he was 25? Or 19?

So Paine's crime is against 'optics'. OK. I get that. Times have changed.

But CA and CTas allegedly knew about this BEFORE Cape Town and still endorsed Paine's captaincy? So, everything's sweet until you get caught? Paine's an idiot (IMO), but his employers are hypocrites.

And then, how good a captain was Paine anyway? Against India last year, he had no idea. But he was the first captain to retain the Ashes away in 18 years, and annihilated Pakistan and NZ (the Test champions) at home in 2019/20. But does that matter? What if his record rivalled Ponting's or Waugh's or Taylor's?

And is Paine's crime worse than Smith's? From what we know, Smith passively endorsed cheating within the game. Paine actively participated in cheating in his personal life. Is one less deserving of the captaincy than the other?

Gut feel, based on answering none of those questions - his time was nearly up so make a break and move on with the captain and wicket-keeper. But even that doesn't sit right with me.

Last edited:
It's a deeper issue than I can fathom.

I personally can't understand why a bloke, any bloke, and especially a bloke in the public eye would do what Paine did. I'm a happily married man and just cannot get my head around his motivation. I just don't get it. It's idiotic. What a flog. But is he the first Australian captain to be a flog? No. Should my values be what the standard is? Maybe not.

But from what I've seen of the text chain, it was between two consensual adults who broke no laws. Tacky yes (IMO). Illegal no. Would Paine be the first Australian captain to be unfaithful to his family? Almost certainly not. To be crass and stupid? Almost certainly not. We've had Prime Ministers who has been celebrated as 'womanisers'. The current heir to the Commonwealth throne wanted to be his mistress's tampon whilst married to the mother of the third in line. But times have changed.

And if it happened in 2017, what's the statute of limitations on this? What if Cummins did the same 4 years ago, or Smith ten years back? Are they automatically removed from such a role? This year we had England's Ollie Robinson suspended from a game for something racist he said nearly 10 years back. When he was just only just legally an adult. I think I'm pretty clean, but would I want my employer to know every misdemeanour I made from my youth and have them hold it over me. But Paine wasn't in his youth at the time. What if he was 25? Or 19?

So Paine's crime is against 'optics'. OK. I get that. Times have changed.

But CA and CTas allegedly knew about this BEFORE Cape Town and still endorsed Paine's captaincy? So, everything's sweet until you get caught? Paine's an idiot (IMO), but his employers are hypocrites.

And then, how good a captain was Paine anyway? Against India last year, he had no idea. But he was the first captain to retain the Ashes away in 18 years, and annihilated Pakistan and NZ (the Test champions) at home in 2019/20. But does that matter? What if his record rivalled Ponting's or Waugh's or Taylor's?

And is Paine's crime worse than Smith's? From what we know, Smith passively endorsed cheating within the game. Paine actively participated in cheating in his personal life. Is one less deserving of the captaincy than the other?

Gut feel, based on answering none of those questions - his time was nearly up so make a break and move on with the captain and wicket-keeper. But even that doesn't sit right with me.
Its one thing to flirt, or even talk dirty a bit.

Its another to send an unsolicited picture of your utensil.

Leaving aside that he's married ... if you're in a pub and you're talking dirty like that you don't just flop it out and start waving it around like a flag at the footy. You wait till you get back to a car or house or at least till you both find a quiet, dark corner. Or if you're at Chasers 30 years ago random areas of the dancefloor...

hammer3

Debutant
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So that photo that’s popped up and doing the rounds, is that the legit convo or are we telling porkies?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
Its one thing to flirt, or even talk dirty a bit.

Its another to send an unsolicited picture of your utensil.

Leaving aside that he's married ... if you're in a pub and you're talking dirty like that you don't just flop it out and start waving it around like a flag at the footy. You wait till you get back to a car or house or at least till you both find a quiet, dark corner. Or if you're at Chasers 30 years ago random areas of the dancefloor...
My mate Horse used to do it regularly, availing us of such classics as ‘What’s the time?’ and ‘the Helicopter’.

I’m not sure that it was universally appreciated so your point’s probably valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back