Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Well there you go. It was raining at the start of the day so I just tuned out and penciled in the draw. More fool me.

Is there some concussion sub rule now? How did Labuschagne end up getting a ticket?

If we retain the Ashes it will not be because of Paine but despite him . Has no idea how to use DRS .

Ditto for England and Root. So conservative is he, they didn't give themselves enough overs to bowl us out - especially sans Smith.

Well there you go. It was raining at the start of the day so I just tuned out and penciled in the draw. More fool me.

Is there some concussion sub rule now? How did Labuschagne end up getting a ticket?

Yeah, there is a concussion sub now. Looks like it's really saved our bacon too. The series is well alive, especially if Smith can't get up for the next test.

I feel Archer has turned this series around for the Poms. I haven't seen hostile bowling like that for a while. that ball that smashed into Labuschagnes grill was a beauty, and other batsmen had close calls as well. that to go with hitting Smith 3 times in the space of a couple of overs the day before. genuinely dangerous bowling.
we might have to make some changes for the next test. hopefully Smith will play, but i'd at least bring in Harris for Warner, who's that out of form he cant even bat time at the moment, and consider maybe a double opener change with Burns for Bancroft as well. bring in Labuschagne for Wade who also looks flaky with 3 failures. Khawaja on thin ground, he looked rattled last night, but should survive for now. Pattinson back in too.

Last edited:
In Marnus we trust...
Yeah despite getting sconed second ball of his innings he did very well . His dismissal ( i think it was a bump ball ,DRS gave him out) sparked a collapse .Head also battled on . As much as Smith holds our batting together , Archer has given the poms real venom . Also should mention that in the circumstances Paine played a stupid shot , but can't deny the catch to get him was brilliant . Very lucky to get out of this with a draw , our bowling and fielding was putrid on the last day , and Root waiting till Stokes got a 100 probably saved us as he gave himself not enough time . That and he couldn't use Archer in the last few overs because of the light .
Unless someone can smash Archer out of the attack , its not looking anywhere near as good for us.

I doubt Smith will play. Even if he does he could well be a bit rattled. Labuschagne will come in. Headingley is a fast track so it will be interesting to see if Australia decide to roll the dice and go with Starc in for Siddle. I’d also drop Hazlewood for Patto if he’s fit, Hazlewood did his usual trick of bowling well in the first inning with a new ball but then progressively disappearing out of the game. I hate how Australia constantly talk smack about having the world’s best attack, if that was the case they would be razing this English lineup.

Archer has given the Poms a fair bit of momentum but declaring Australia’s chances of retaining the Ashes as dead is a tad premature.

As an aside, have helmets meant that batsmen are worse at playing the short ball? My gut feeling is that many of them tend to take their eye off the ball rather than sway inside the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Labuschagne in for Smith, only change I'd make. Back Warner in to score runs - he's battling now but I don't see who we bring in that will be an improvement. Ditto Bancroft, although I have far less confidence in him. I almost want to punt Siddle for a more aggressive bowling attack, but someone needs to plug away into the wind and send down 25 odd overs a day when the chips are down.

Our batting lineup looks horrendous without Smith there, though. Warner, Bancroft, Khawaja, Labuschagne (or Head), Head (or Lasagne), Wade, Paine, Cummins, Siddle, Hazlewood, Lyon... shoot Warner out for another so so Sheffield Shield player and that's the worst batting lineup I've seen for Australia.

Labuschagne in for Smith, only change I'd make. Back Warner in to score runs - he's battling now but I don't see who we bring in that will be an improvement. Ditto Bancroft, although I have far less confidence in him. I almost want to punt Siddle for a more aggressive bowling attack, but someone needs to plug away into the wind and send down 25 odd overs a day when the chips are down.

Our batting lineup looks horrendous without Smith there, though. Warner, Bancroft, Khawaja, Labuschagne (or Head), Head (or Lasagne), Wade, Paine, Cummins, Siddle, Hazlewood, Lyon... shoot Warner out for another so so Sheffield Shield player and that's the worst batting lineup I've seen for Australia.
I agree on Warner. When people start carrying on like the world’s foremost authority and say that Marcus Harris needs to come in, it gives me a bit of a giggle. Unfortunately it isn’t the 90s where we had a production line of quality batsmen rolling. Jamie Cox, Michael Divenuto, Jamie Siddons and Jimmy Maher never played test cricket and blokes like Martin Love, Stuart Law, Darren Lehmann, Michael Bevan and Brad Hodge either barely got a chance or were past their prime when they did.

I agree on Warner. When people start carrying on like the world’s foremost authority and say that Marcus Harris needs to come in, it gives me a bit of a giggle. Unfortunately it isn’t the 90s where we had a production line of quality batsmen rolling. Jamie Cox, Michael Divenuto, Jamie Siddons and Jimmy Maher never played test cricket and blokes like Martin Love, Stuart Law, Darren Lehmann, Michael Bevan and Brad Hodge either barely got a chance or were past their prime when they did.
did you see Warner after he was dismissed yesterday? the bloke looked completely crushed and was being consoled by his team mates. not sure where his heads at, but he didn't look like he was in a good space. he's only lasted 50 balls in 4 knocks and has dropped catches as well. looks a mile off anything that he used to be. I reckon Harris couldn't do a worse job atm.
and I don't think im the worlds foremost authority either, its just my opinion ;)

Unfortunately with the modern fixation with popcorn cricket (T-20), I can't see the batting stocks replenished any time soon. I get its popular , and financially important to CA , but it has given us a generation of batsmen that appear to struggle on any wickets that aren't batsmen friendly .
I don't know what the answer is TBO ,
As far as this next test goes , Langer being the traditionalist he is , cant see him shaking the team up by dropping anyone and who know which bowler will be rotated . Labuschagna comes in for Smith if he can't play , and fingers crossed for the rest of them.

Last edited:

I'd agree with this for the next test. But if Warner still can't even get to double figures then he had to be changed for Harris. As Fork n Hell said, he's not even lasting any time to blunt the attack a bit - and he's dropping catches. We can't afford to punt on that for the whole series. At least Bancroft has been able to fight at times, even if it hasn't resulted in runs.

Unfortunately these batting issues won't and can't abate until the next generation of batsmen (Pucovski, etc) come through and even then we're hoping without much confidence in coaching better techniques for test cricket, and that's far from a given.

did you see Warner after he was dismissed yesterday? the bloke looked completely crushed and was being consoled by his team mates. not sure where his heads at, but he didn't look like he was in a good space. he's only lasted 50 balls in 4 knocks and has dropped catches as well. looks a mile off anything that he used to be. I reckon Harris couldn't do a worse job atm.
and I don't think im the worlds foremost authority either, its just my opinion ;)

Good, he should be devastated he's not getting runs. This is his return to Test cricket after all. No question he hasn't done the job in the last four games, but he's still one of our best and most experienced bats. Back him in rather than chop and change, I say.

Good, he should be devastated he's not getting runs. This is his return to Test cricket after all. No question he hasn't done the job in the last four games, but he's still one of our best and most experienced bats. Back him in rather than chop and change, I say.
yeah they probably will. I hope he does turn it around, we need him to.

For how long?

Joe Burns?
I like Mr Burns and he has had some s**t luck in being in and out of the side. As an aside I think he’d be a better 5 or 6 than opener at test level but that’s just me. But realistically they’re not going to call him into the Ashes squad unless someone else is sent home. I felt he was a bit stiff to be left out of the squad but my reaction to it wasn’t a case of shock and ‘ZOMG NSW boyz club strikes again’. So Harris is the only other opening option unless Labuschagne, Khawaja or Head get put up the order.

There is theoretical depth with openers in Australia. I think Burns, Harris, Renshaw, Weatherald and Daniel Hughes all have the ability to make it at test level but I would like to see them make consistent runs at shield level and then take their opportunity when it comes in the test team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back