Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Quality is not the word I'd use. Thank f**k the bats are massive these days or he'd never get more than 20.

Quality in a ODI arena where the field is spread because he can hit the ball the full 360 degrees and he is hard to tie down
He is far from a classic batsman, but I remember when everyone said Smith was s**t because of his awkward technique ignoring the fact he has an awesome eye
Maxwell is the same, he picks up the ball really well and hits it where he wants to

Quality in a ODI arena where the field is spread because he can hit the ball the full 360 degrees and he is hard to tie down
He is far from a classic batsman, but I remember when everyone said Smith was s**t because of his awkward technique ignoring the fact he has an awesome eye
Maxwell is the same, he picks up the ball really well and hits it where he wants to

Smith's technique is s**t and it'll catch up to him. When he starts to go downhill it'll be rapid.

Don't care, watching Maxwell bat is about pleasant as grinding sand into your eyes. I'll take the likes of Hussey, Waugh, Martyn, etc thanks.

Smith's technique is s**t and it'll catch up to him. When he starts to go downhill it'll be rapid.

Don't care, watching Maxwell bat is about pleasant as grinding sand into your eyes. I'll take the likes of Hussey, Waugh, Martyn, etc thanks.

Id be surprised if you see another batter as technically gifted as them come through the ranks, too much T20 influence , you need to free your arms and shoulder more and clear your front leg for the slog fest

Finch and Maxwell are lucky that the pitches in australia resemble roads now

Id be surprised if you see another batter as technically gifted as them come through the ranks, too much T20 influence , you need to free your arms and shoulder more and clear your front leg for the slog fest

Finch and Maxwell are lucky that the pitches in australia resemble roads now

It's unlikely, but mainly because the standards have declined drastically and there are less and less people playing cricket in Australia.

Pitches all around the world are skewed heavily in the batsmen's favour these days. You don't get shitloads of advertising money and bums on seats if you keep churning out 3 day tests. Outfields are lightning, ropes are brought in and bats are massive - it's stacked ridiculously in the batter's favour and yet we've still got *******s like Finch who can't average more than 30. These days Bradman would average 200... or would be some fat kid with asthma sitting on the couch playing Mario Party. Who knows.

Finch is poo, I agree.
Maxwell, while seeming like a tosser, is a good batsman. Still does dumb s**t too often to be really great, but for ODIs his batting is very good and he's been pretty consistent in the last couple of months. His bowling is also surprisingly effective, which is a bonus. Agree that the skewed, batsman friendly conditions have helped him out a lot though.

Did anyone attend the Final yesterday? I was there... amazing experience. The atmosphere was fantastic.
yeah I went to the game, wish it was a closer game though

That West Indies series was fascinating. Did they play enough days or overs to constitute one test, never mind two?

Steve Smith almost single handedly outscored them in the second test

Should've given Chanderpaul the farewell tour. He deserved better and couldn't have done any worse. The bloke the Windies opened the batting with in the second test had a first class average of 25 and hasn't even tonned up yet... surprise, surprise he got a pair on debut. I can understand spearing Chanders for the next big thing knocking the door down with a mountain of runs, but there are only a couple of guys in the side who can hold a stick if it's not a Twenty20 game.

Should've given Chanderpaul the farewell tour. He deserved better and couldn't have done any worse. The bloke the Windies opened the batting with in the second test had a first class average of 25 and hasn't even tonned up yet... surprise, surprise he got a pair on debut. I can understand spearing Chanders for the next big thing knocking the door down with a mountain of runs, but there are only a couple of guys in the side who can hold a stick if it's not a Twenty20 game.

Even Chris Gayle not giving a s**t an being able to duck out back for Jayski during the game would score more than half those blokes, it sucks because world cricket needs more than just Aus-Eng-SA-Ind beating each other in test series

Even Chris Gayle not giving a s**t an being able to duck out back for Jayski during the game would score more than half those blokes, it sucks because world cricket needs more than just Aus-Eng-SA-Ind beating each other in test series

Cricket is dying a slow death. If you'd have told me 5 years ago that Steve Smith would be the #1 ranked Test batsman in the world I'd have laughed in your face.

SportsBet offering $1.15 on Starc bowling 3 wides and taking a wicket in the first over...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are the two statements linked? Cricket is slowly withering, yes, but Steve Smith has been bloody good the last year or two.

Steve Smith has indeed been very good in the last year or two, but someone with that terrible a technique should be found out at a lower level / not get near the national team. Like when Phil Hughes was piling on runs at Shield level, had a great start, was found out and then struggled terribly because of his one shot pony technique. Used to be our national competition was the best preparation for Test cricket going around. Not so now.

Steve Smith has indeed been very good in the last year or two, but someone with that terrible a technique should be found out at a lower level / not get near the national team. Like when Phil Hughes was piling on runs at Shield level, had a great start, was found out and then struggled terribly because of his one shot pony technique. Used to be our national competition was the best preparation for Test cricket going around. Not so now.

I don't think he has poor technique though , it's unorthodox but his head stays still at the point of contact and his momentum goes through the shot

He isn't mark Waugh or Damien Martyn but neither was adam gilchrist who relied on hand speed over movement of his feet

Smith is the same , it's all about the timing in his wrists

I don't think he has poor technique though , it's unorthodox but his head stays still at the point of contact and his momentum goes through the shot

He isn't mark Waugh or Damien Martyn but neither was adam gilchrist who relied on hand speed over movement of his feet

Smith is the same , it's all about the timing in his wrists

Gilchrist stayed still for the most part. Smith shuffles all over the place, dangles the bat away from the body, pokes at deliveries, etc. His hand-eye is making up for it at the moment, and even then, it still amazes me that he can do it all day and not get out.

Don't have to have flawless technique like Martyn did. I used to enjoy watching Gary Kirsten bat - technique wasn't textbook and his feet didn't go far, but the movements he made were economical, he got into a good position early and got his head over the ball. Can say the same about guys like Katich and Chanderpaul - Katich moved and then was still (weird habit) on ball delivery, Chanderpaul is as crabby as it gets but these guys still got their feet moving and their heads to the line of the ball. Smith plays away from his body a lot - we'll see how well he gets away with that in Ingerland; he'll need to curb that compulsive habit of constantly wanting to get bat on ball.

While we're on the topic, Gary Ballance is a horrible tease for a top 3 bat. The way he flaunts his off peg to bowlers is like a pretty girl showing some leg to a recently released convict.

He does play away from his body quite a lot and the poms will back themselves getting him at gully and point I'd reckon but he has this brilliant ability to get bat on ball
The last 12 months he has become a lot better at leaving the ball

I'm backing him to continue it becuase he is seeing them like beach balls still

Gotta say I'm concerned with our bowling attack as well, johnson and starc will put way to much pressure on hazlewood to tie down an end , especially if Watson can only bowl 5 overs a day

That's the only reason he is playing surely because they don't trust marsh to not go the journey

Also I hate Joe Root, I hope Warner Chins him again

He does play away from his body quite a lot and the poms will back themselves getting him at gully and point I'd reckon but he has this brilliant ability to get bat on ball
The last 12 months he has become a lot better at leaving the ball

I'm backing him to continue it becuase he is seeing them like beach balls still

Gotta say I'm concerned with our bowling attack as well, johnson and starc will put way to much pressure on hazlewood to tie down an end , especially if Watson can only bowl 5 overs a day

That's the only reason he is playing surely because they don't trust marsh to not go the journey

Also I hate Joe Root, I hope Warner Chins him again

Well, the slow pitch the Poms have produced will help him there a bit. If they keep that theme up, although they're trying to give their batsmen some protection from Johnson, Starc and co, its going to work the other way as well with their seamers having to hit the spot on a regular basis or go for runs. Saying that, the Poms know the conditions so I think you'll find they'll stray less from just full of a good length than we did. Starc and Hazlewood haven't bowled a lot in England and it showed; Hazlewood didn't have his usual control and struggled to get on top of the swing.

Probably has a fair bit to do with Marsh bowling trash. Watto gets good hoop and the conditions should suit him. Don't think either of them are great bats. Also, Clarke loves Watson for some bloody reason. Will continue to get picked if fit.

Root is a smug little *er. Batted well though. Would be improved by no teeth.

Well, the slow pitch the Poms have produced will help him there a bit. If they keep that theme up, although they're trying to give their batsmen some protection from Johnson, Starc and co, its going to work the other way as well with their seamers having to hit the spot on a regular basis or go for runs. Saying that, the Poms know the conditions so I think you'll find they'll stray less from just full of a good length than we did. Starc and Hazlewood haven't bowled a lot in England and it showed; Hazlewood didn't have his usual control and struggled to get on top of the swing.

Probably has a fair bit to do with Marsh bowling trash. Watto gets good hoop and the conditions should suit him. Don't think either of them are great bats. Also, Clarke loves Watson for some bloody reason. Will continue to get picked if fit.

Root is a smug little goose. Batted well though. Would be improved by no teeth.

Watson should bowl brilliantly in England , perfect conditions for him but he can't get through more than 6 overs a day which is no good

Yeah the placid pitches suck but Anderson and broad no exactly how to bowl on them so I'm a little worried about the score there putting up

Marsh was in good batting form in the tour matches and all he has to do is get out for 40 every innings and he will match watto

Starcs always been a little wayward with the red ball but he takes wickets, not sure if we can carry both him and johnson because they both bowl loose deliveries and It means all the pressure is on hazlewood to keep it right

Reckon hazlewood will take the most wickets for us in the series though, he started slow but I imagine he will get his line an length back and be good so long as hadding holds his catches

Watson should bowl brilliantly in England , perfect conditions for him but he can't get through more than 6 overs a day which is no good

Yeah the placid pitches suck but Anderson and broad no exactly how to bowl on them so I'm a little worried about the score there putting up

Marsh was in good batting form in the tour matches and all he has to do is get out for 40 every innings and he will match watto

Starcs always been a little wayward with the red ball but he takes wickets, not sure if we can carry both him and johnson because they both bowl loose deliveries and It means all the pressure is on hazlewood to keep it right

Reckon hazlewood will take the most wickets for us in the series though, he started slow but I imagine he will get his line an length back and be good so long as hadding holds his catches

Yeah, I'd move on from him because he's not worth his spot, but he needs to break down again before Clarkey will drop his buddy.

Meh, not convinced by Marsh. Everyone was doinking runs in those trial games.

Will take a while for them to sort it out. Dukes are shitty little things to bowl with and don't suit Hazlewood. I think Starc is more likely to take the most wickets, but they'll cost a bit.

Anyway, at least its a promising start. Would be boring stuff if we'd rolled them for 150 odd.

Yeah, I'd move on from him because he's not worth his spot, but he needs to break down again before Clarkey will drop his buddy.

Meh, not convinced by Marsh. Everyone was doinking runs in those trial games.

Will take a while for them to sort it out. Dukes are shitty little things to bowl with and don't suit Hazlewood. I think Starc is more likely to take the most wickets, but they'll cost a bit.

Anyway, at least its a promising start. Would be boring stuff if we'd rolled them for 150 odd.

7-340 odd is fairly evenly poised so long as we bat okay, I mean with Clarke Voges and Rogers we should be getting decent scores all the way through, and englands spin bowling options are pox..

If they hold all their catches I can see this series going the way of 05-13

7-340 odd is fairly evenly poised so long as we bat okay, I mean with Clarke Voges and Rogers we should be getting decent scores all the way through, and englands spin bowling options are pox..

If they hold all their catches I can see this series going the way of 05-13

I'd put the honours slightly England's way. They've gone with the long batting order so I think 400+ is still on the cards, but that mostly depends on what sort of moods Messrs Starc and Johnson are in. We could still skittle them for 350. Runs on the board though; I'm not that excited about our Dad's Army batting lineup.

I'd put the honours slightly England's way. They've gone with the long batting order so I think 400+ is still on the cards, but that mostly depends on what sort of moods Messrs Starc and Johnson are in. We could still skittle them for 350. Runs on the board though; I'm not that excited about our Dad's Army batting lineup.

Yeah but its the best available we have, if anyones gonna score run it will be them
Starc could easily go through the tail end first thing in the morning... he needs to

Remove this Banner Ad

Back