Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

i'd have Khawaja in as opener for Harris, and Marsh in to help the bowlers with the short turn around at the expense of Wade. I don't see much point in dropping Warner at this late stage. may as well give him another chance to turn it around.

So M.Marsh replaces T.Head in the 12 named , England have dropped Roy and Overton for Woakes and Curran .Seems like Stokes will bat only , guess we will find out at match time who each 12 man will be .

Would think Starc will stay in if Marsh has been added. Four right arm seamers is a bit same, same. Siddle will get the drinks again, I think.

Odd to pick Head to spear from the side. Would have thought Wade deserved that honour but really all the batsmen other than Labuschagne and Smith could get the boot and have no right to complain.

Last edited:

Would think Starc will stay in if Marsh has been added. Four right arm seamers is a bit same, same. Siddle will get the drinks again, I think.

Odd to pick head to spear from the side. Would have thought Wade deserved that honour but really all the batsmen other than Labuschagne and Smith could get the boot and have no right to complain.
I am hoping its Cummins that gets a rest , only because he has had a heavy workload this series . I suspect with Marsh playing they can use Cummins in short bursts , who looked physically stuffed towards the end of the last test .

I'm a bit surprised to see Head gone - he has been mediocre but far from the worst. And they are sticking with Warner and Harris as openers. I'll be pretty mad if we're 10/2 again. Smith can't do it EVERY time forever.

I'm a bit surprised to see Head gone - he has been mediocre but far from the worst. And they are sticking with Warner and Harris as openers. I'll be pretty mad if we're 10/2 again. Smith can't do it EVERY time forever.

"YES HE CAN!!" - Australian selectors

yeah im a bit surprised they dropped Head myself. mainly because he's the VC and thought Wade was more likely to go first. but like Cannon82 says, on form Head cant complain as he hasn't done enough.

yeah im a bit surprised they dropped Head myself. mainly because he's the VC and thought Wade was more likely to go first. but like Cannon82 says, on form Head cant complain as he hasn't done enough.
I guess the Wade and Smith partnership last test was probably the only thing that decided it . Who knows

I guess the Wade and Smith partnership last test was probably the only thing that decided it . Who knows

Wade could've tonned up again and should still have been dropped for that filthy swipe he got out on.

i'd have Khawaja in as opener for Harris, and Marsh in to help the bowlers with the short turn around at the expense of Wade. I don't see much point in dropping Warner at this late stage. may as well give him another chance to turn it around.
Turn it around into what exactly? His last away hundred(s) were two in 2017 against Bangladesh. Has made four other away tons all in 2014, all in 2014 v South Africa (similar batting-wise to Australia) and Pakistan (dead UAE wickets). Averages 35.17 outside of Australia and 27.60 in England. Pretty damning for a bloke who's played 78 tests to have never made an away Ashes/Border-Gavaskar ton.

Turn it around into what exactly? His last away hundred(s) were two in 2017 against Bangladesh. Has made four other away tons all in 2014, all in 2014 v South Africa (similar batting-wise to Australia) and Pakistan (dead UAE wickets). Averages 35.17 outside of Australia and 27.60 in England. Pretty damning for a bloke who's played 78 tests to have never made an away Ashes/Border-Gavaskar ton.
runs. he makes plenty at home and summers coming quick.
don't get me wrong, I thought they should have dropped him earlier in the series when he looked way off, but now I just don't see much point. may as well give him another chance with 1 test to go and since we're in an unlosable position. someone still has to push him out and so far no one has. another failure here and the spots up for grabs though as far as i'm concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get a load of those stats. Impressive stuff from the batsmen. The difference between the two sides has been that our freak has been freakier than their freak. You'd think it was a minefield rather than pitches with a bit of seam movement.

Edit: Crivens, look how terrible our three opening options have been. Khawaja not much better.

Aus Stats.JPG Eng Stats.JPG

Get a load of those stats. Impressive stuff from the batsmen. The difference between the two sides has been that our freak has been freakier than their freak. You'd think it was a minefield rather than pitches with a bit of seam movement.

Edit: Crivens, look how terrible our three opening options have been. Khawaja not much better.

View attachment 744702View attachment 744703
Even if you took away Lyon's not outs he'd still be averaging more than Warner. * that's bleak.

Last edited:

View attachment 744702View attachment 744703
Splitting hairs but perhaps Wade should’ve got the bullet before Head. 6 innings since they both scored their highest scores in the Edgbaston Test. Wade has scored 91 @ 15 and Head has 140 @ 28.

Pretty funny that P Siddy is 4th in the Australian batting averages and that Roy averages more than all of our openers. Leach has also outbowled Lyon.

Splitting hairs but perhaps Wade should’ve got the bullet before Head. 6 innings since they both scored their highest scores in the Edgbaston Test. Wade has scored 91 @ 15 and Head has 140 @ 28.

Pretty funny that P Siddy is 4th in the Australian batting averages and that Roy averages more than all of our openers. Leach has also outbowled Lyon.

Nope, totally agree. Guessing this is also about "sending a message" or something along those lines to Head to try to get him to lift his game a bit. I think he's a hack, but he's unfortunately a bit more prolific than the other hacks we have available. Not much point in spearing Wade as a lesson - he's a long way past learning.

We could do worse than throw Siddle in at 6. Probably a better all-rounder than Mitch Marsh.

Poor selection, IMO. People coming in for one test, then straight out again. Meanwhile guys are getting dropped when there are people performing worse in the side. Giving Starc one Test is rubbish... come in, take a bunch of poles or lose your spot again. Travis, you need to do better with the bat, just pay no mind to David and Matthew. They're special cases.

Certainly coming on to the bat alright.

Did Warney really just say Mitch Marsh "dominated" first class cricket? Dominated with his batting average of 32 and his bowling average of 31? Poor choice of words.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back