Cricketers thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Great thread spenze .
I’ve been playing Men’s cricket in Toowoomba for the past 6 seasons. Returning to the game in the 2018/19 season at the age of 45 years and 9 months. Before that, I hadn’t played cricket since I was 22.
A former school friend talked me back into playing and the temptation was too hard to ignore. I’ve had the bug since I was 40. Plus, I’d never scored a ton and that was a major motivator. I scored my first in the 2019/20 season (189). I only got out because there was 8 minutes left in the 2 day game and I was trying to get to 200.
Now I’ve scored 4 centuries.
Last season I averaged 60 with the bat from 6 matches and this season just finished I averaged 128.5. I only played 4 matches out of a possible 12.
In the winter I play veterans cricket. That’s why I haven’t played much cricket in the summer as I needed a break.
The post Xmas C grade comp, being 40 over cricket, was limited to a possible 5 games to us. Our side, that I captained, was a late inclusion in round 3 to get rid of the bye plus to give excess players some cricket.
I played 3 of the 4 games and sat out the last game of the season for us last Saturday. One match was lost to rain.
In my first game I won the toss and batted and we held on to win by 3 runs. I batted at 7 and got 57* off 35 deliveries. In the next game I lost the toss and we had to chase down 263, falling 36 runs short. I opened the batting and was the last one out for 124 off 126.
The next game we were sent in and we got 6/203. I got 72* off 64 deliveries batting at number 8. I was trying to give everyone a go and I was still sore from the previous match.
The second last match was washed out before our last we were bowled out for 72. I was 12th man as we had excess numbers an I’m an old bastard feeling my age.
My 4th season of Veteran’s cricket starts in a month. I’m the fittest that I’ve been in years so I’m hoping to go better than last season when I got most runs for Toowoomba in Division 2. I play Division One also but you’re allowed to have 2 Div 1 players in Div 2 as long as they don’t play for Queensland.

I got asked to play in a game against the Zimbabwe Over 50’s cricket side on Sunday. I can’t because my daughter plays club cricket in Brisbane and she’s playing in the second grade Grand Final.

My daughter took two catches, took 4/30 off 7.5 overs with the ball and scored 9* off 10 deliveries batting at #11 in her GF last Sunday. They lost by run.
However, if the umpire had given a legitimate dismissal out when she produced an edge to the keeper they would’ve won for sure. At 1:09:15 the umpire said that it didn’t carry.

So, in a best day ever event.

Club had a juniors and seniors cricket match, 2 captains, toss the bat, humps or flats, pick teams.

Myself and SOS got to bat in a partnership together, seriously best day ever.

Of course SOS saw it differently, he was now batting with a partner who turned an easy two into a quick single and he let me know about it too.

Maybe when I am dead he'll look on this day fondly but for now he thinks he got lumbered with an out of shape batting partner

So, in a best day ever event.

Club had a juniors and seniors cricket match, 2 captains, toss the bat, humps or flats, pick teams.

Myself and SOS got to bat in a partnership together, seriously best day ever.

Of course SOS saw it differently, he was now batting with a partner who turned an easy two into a quick single and he let me know about it too.

Maybe when I am dead he'll look on this day fondly but for now he thinks he got lumbered with an out of shape batting partner
I understand where you’re coming from. I won a 40 over grand final with my daughter two years ago. It was a day that I’ll never forget.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back