Cricketers thread

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
OK i'll put my hand up and say that i've turned from a fanatical Test Cricket watcher to hating the game now .....so i have bias

But can someone answer me this ? .......in this age of litigation with health & safety, who do we wait for an accident to happen b4 we are forced to take any action at all :rolleyes:

Blind Freddy can see that a spectator will be hit in the face with a cricket ball, with the increased emphasis and encouragement by Administrators, to hit more 6's

1. They've brought the boundaries in
2. They've allowed monster bats
3. The introduction of BBL and 20 over games

If i'm a spectator paying money to be entertained, do i expect to get a ball into my face ? .....gee i hope someone sues the pants off Cricket Australia .......we all know they've done a risk analysis on this happening, and believe the infrastructure cost (nets around the ground) and impact to the games spectacle outweighs potential legal costs

Even the AFL put up nets behind the goals in pre-game warm ups due to this possibility

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
If i'm a spectator paying money to be entertained, do i expect to get a ball into my face ?
Yes
Keep your eyes open. You know the risk, that you ignored that risk and took your eyes off the action is entirely your fault.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I bet you're the reason I have to drink luke-warm coffee :thumbsdown:

:p
Who drinks luke warm coffee :p ......nah, people suing over the slightest thing now, and succeeding on technicalities

Remember a number of years ago of a forklift driver who turned up so drunk he couldn't possibly drive .....well he caused a serious accident and was fired by management .....had to be reinstated because his workplace agreement didn't cover that he could be drunk on a forklift :rolleyes: .......the litigious nature of society is 3 times worse now than then

We have burglars suing house owners for hurting them in a break-in .......how dare they :rolleyes:

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
WOW ......the latest craze in popularity is the AVO ......such a craze, gee people are such Lemmings it's unbelievable :rolleyes:

WOW some people are all about status .....girlfriend retains the surname of her married ex, obviously because of the status the name holds in society :rolleyes:

XCLUSIVE: Cricket great Stuart MacGill slapped with an AVO by socialite girlfriend Julie Singleton on BOXING DAY... as the VERY unhappy New Year continues for Sydney's A-list celebrities
  • Cricket great Stuart MacGill has been slapped with an AVO to protect girlfriend
Published: 10:15 +11:00, 10 January 2017 | Updated: 12:10 +11:00, 10 January 2017

Former cricket great Stuart MacGill has been slapped with an apprehended violence order for the protection of his socialite girlfriend Julie Singleton.

Police served MacGill with the AVO on Boxing Day on behalf of Ms Singleton, the lawyer and ex-wife of Sydney multi-millionaire adman and John Singleton.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lie-Singleton-ex-wife-John.html#ixzz4VJmmtVkU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyways...new bat. Took it out to the nets today. It weighs a smidge under 2 pound 9 but geez, in the nets it felt so damn light when batting and then the middle, just fantastic. Blocking deliveries back past the bowler, best bat I have ever used. I expect to hit some spectators in the face with my balls first match and if I get to have a bat, then the spectators should watch out.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Anyways...new bat. Took it out to the nets today. It weighs a smidge under 2 pound 9 but geez, in the nets it felt so damn light when batting and then the middle, just fantastic. Blocking deliveries back past the bowler, best bat I have ever used. I expect to hit some spectators in the face with my balls first match and if I get to have a bat, then the spectators should watch out.
So the shouts of duck will be directed at the crowd and not the batsman?

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
this one really irks me, completely ridiculous.
So the ever increasing crime of perpetrators stopping a car at the stop lights and ordering the occupants out at gunpoint ......if the driver takes off & runs over the perpetrators foot, the driver will be sued for assault :rolleyes: .......it's a deadset crazy world

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
So the ever increasing crime of perpetrators stopping a car at the stop lights and ordering the occupants out at gunpoint ......if the driver takes off & runs over the perpetrators foot, the driver will be sued for assault :rolleyes: .......it's a deadset crazy world

Please take your off topic, Current affair style whinge somewhere else...it's just not cricket

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
So, first game of the new year and it was top V bottom which ended in a predictable result. Game was played in good spirit though to be fair they did kind of bowl their overs sluggishly which cuts into beer drinking time. I am tempted to file an official complaint but seeing the association president is on a sobriety kick following a court matter, I'm not sure I'll get a fair hearing.

It was one of those 35 overs each one dayers and I came in after five overs after our opening bat was fired out LBW from a team mate to a ball that hit him dead set in the utensil. Unfortunately our opening bat is hung like a gorilla so that meant the ball hit him just under the knee roll and his innings was cut short on 21. New year, new bat and the Hitman was off to a good start as the bowler overpitched on my first delivery enabling me to push the ball between cover and mid off for a single. It was a good thing too because my team mates were going to hang a lot of s**t on me if I came back with a quacker to my name.

The bat itself is pretty good though I felt I only hit one dead set out of the middle but that is just part of getting used to the new bat but the one I hit out of the middle was a flat 6 to the furthest boundary. In the end I was out to a lazy shot when the ball ballooned of an edge so high that all 11 oppostion players could have called for the catch and I was out for 34. I was ropeable at the time, my lowest score in about 15 months but after I calmed down and applied some poly filla and a lick of paint to fix the hole in the wall I had caused, I guessed it wasn't too bad a score.

With some lusty hitting form our other opening bat, who scored 95, we managed 211 off our 35.

When it came our turn to bowl, regular wickets fell and not many runs were scored leaving us winners by 131 runs. Unfortunately the buggers batted through their overs making it just on 5pm til I could have a beer. Disgraceful.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
It might not be the end of March but some fat bastard turned back the clock today.

When the opposition were 1 for 72 off 10, Jumbo reaked havoc with the ball taking 2 for 20...then suprprised all by taking 2 catches, one a straight up and down but the second, fielding at silly mid off, one handed will become better each time I recount it. I used to be a great fielder when I was young but it has been a while but today, it was like I was 20 again.

So, the opposition were all out for 163 after their 35 overs and we went into bat. Third ball of the innings and I was in to bat with my fabulous bat and today I have no quibbles about the bat. 117 not out on the back of 17 fours and three sixes...just stoked.

Sadly, I am having a lot of trouble walking now, due to being old, inebriated and worse still, my knee which is like a dead set ballon.

Still happy days.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
People who have been reading this for a while might think " is he telling the truth about his batting, I mean he seems to flog attacks each week?". It is true, since I started this, I have enjoyed an incredible run with the bat...until today. 9 runs and I was back in the sheds, once again getting the meat of the edge and skying the ball, sadly to the guy who was wearing gloves. It actually sucks because I was seeing it OK and the ball deserved nothing more than to go to the boundary...but there you go, I have figured I was due for a poor run and better it starts now than in finals.

So, once again a one dayer and we only saw out 30 overs to be all out for 185, which isn't bad but it did highlight to me that when the usual suspects get out, there is a bit of lightness to our batting, which is a worry for finals but we will see how we go. Sadly, we were away from our home ground for like the second time this season ( not to be mocked, our home ground is awesome, sightboards, picket fences around the ground, scoreboard, big deck out the front of club rooms...and a huge bar in the club rooms). The other positive of our home ground is decent hard wicket and flat outfield...and we didn't get that today. Sand on pitch, s**t field, club rooms not open...I hate most other grounds but this one is s**t, the oval is like a mecca to Kikuyu grass.

Anyways, we looked like we might drop the game as they came out and batted with real muscle and flair. The opening stand was close to 90 after 15 overs but then the ball was finally thrown to Jumbo. I bowled 5 overs and to be fair, I bowled 10 good balls, 2 rippers and the rest was ******* junk. My run up was OK but the landing on delivery...with sand on artificial turf...I am not sure how many runs I went for but it was a few but I removed both openers with yorkers, one Lbw and one bowled.

Still that was nothing on our captain who knocked over 4 in one over to turn the match back our ways which we didn't let go of to win by 40 runs.

Probably a lucky win in the end as they had us on toast during a fair bit of their innings.

I must admit though, I am at that part of the season were your enthusiasm just drains. I mean if they said tomorrow, there will be no more matches, no celebrating, just spend the rest of summer with your families, I'd be like "fair enough then"

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well kinda, you got 121 last week not 117 ;)

This is what happens when you let imbeciles do the scoring. It was only when I got home to put the scores into Mycricket and I added it up that I went " you numbskulls".

Of course this isn't as bad as when two people without pen licences used to do the scoring. They weren't the brightest kids, god love them but you'd come off for drinks and go to check your score and you had finished the over with three boundaries and only one on the scoresheet. Worse was when you'd tally the score up against batting runs and bowling figures and there would be a differential of 25-30.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
This is what happens when you let imbeciles do the scoring. It was only when I got home to put the scores into Mycricket and I added it up that I went " you numbskulls".

Of course this isn't as bad as when two people without pen licences used to do the scoring. They weren't the brightest kids, god love them but you'd come off for drinks and go to check your score and you had finished the over with three boundaries and only one on the scoresheet. Worse was when you'd tally the score up against batting runs and bowling figures and there would be a differential of 25-30.
Try sorting it out as Captain. And the opposition book is also out :drunk::'(

Back