Crikey dares Murdoch to sue them for defamation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear Lachlan,

As you know, nearly two months ago Crikey published a piece of commentary about the sorry state of US politics, and the January 6 insurrection, that mentioned the Murdoch family name twice.
See how power works in this country.

You responded through your lawyer with a series of letters in which you accused us of defaming you personally in that story.

Crikey is an independent Australian news website, launched in 2000, covering politics, media and public issues. We at Crikey strongly support freedom of opinion and public interest journalism. We are concerned that Australia’s defamation laws are too restrictive.

Today in Crikey, we are publishing all the legal demands and accusations from your lawyer, and the replies from our lawyers, in full, so people can judge your allegations for themselves.

We want to defend those allegations in court. You have made it clear in your lawyer’s letters you intend to take court action to resolve this alleged defamation.

We await your writ so that we can test this important issue of freedom of public interest journalism in a courtroom.

Yours sincerely,

Eric Beecher
Chairman, Private Media

An open letter to Lachlan Murdoch, co-chairman of News Corporation and executive chairman of Fox Corporation

'In dispute is an apparent opinion piece, and associated social media posts, published by Crikey.com.au in June headlined: “Trump is a confirmed unhinged traitor. And Murdoch is his unindicted co-conspirator” – analysing the 6 January insurrection by supporters of defeated presidential candidate Donald Trump. In legal letters published by Crikey, lawyers for Lachlan Murdoch argue the publications contain “scandalous allegations of criminal conduct and conspiracy” and carry a number of “highly defamatory and false imputations about him”.'

wonder if this dispute will attract attention in america ..... lachie has backed himself into a corner here
I don't think he has. My guess is that he won't go through with the threat (there certainly doesn't appear to be anything in the original article that reaches the level of defamation, even in Australia) and Crikey will call him out on it.

Murdoch's reader base would be highly unlikely to be subscribers to Crikey, so they'll walk away from it and let Crikey shout from the rooftops to people that the Murdochs don't really care about.

and a very dangerous one.

What funds it ?

Crikey seem to believe there is a big payday in it for themselves:
2022/06/23/rupert-lachlan-murdoch-defamation-lawsuit-dominion/

What funds it ?

Like usual, your post doesn't make any sense to the one you are replying too.

You really don't have to come riding in to defend the Murdochs. I feel sorry for the horse.

the age reporting lachie is (or at least it was 15 minutes ago - story appears to have vanished from its home page) about to file proceedings against crikey

What funds it ?

“Leave Lachie alone”.
Pathetic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like usual, your post doesn't make any sense to the one you are replying too.

You really don't have to come riding in to defend the Murdochs. I feel sorry for the horse.

1 + 1 is beyond you & thats more donkey than horse in your case.

I asked who funds it (see my post, if you have trouble finding it, call your psychiatrist, your eyesight is fine).
Are you up to speed yet?
See where dear old Rupert made billionaires of all his kids. Thats what funds it, & its not about the media.

& no, I dont need to come to the Murdochs aid, the cabal of posting mods, have banned me for not joining them downhill skiing.
Though its the only way anyone will know what the Murdochs think about what is going down, e.g this poor soul quoting their media opposition as his source because they dont read the Murdoch press:

Last edited:

I asked who funds it (see my post, if you have trouble finding it, call your psychiatrist, your eyesight is fine).
Are you up to speed yet?
See where dear old Rupert made billionaires of all his kids. Thats what funds it, & its not about the media.

& no, I dont need to come to the Murdochs aid, the cabal of posting mods, have banned me for not joining them downhill skiing.
Though its the only way anyone will know what the Murdochs think about what is going down, e.g this poor soul quoting their media opposition as his source because they dont read the Murdoch press:

So the Murdoch kids got richer from Newscorpse selling Fox...what the F does any of that have to do with Lachlan suing Crikey for defamation???

Are you up to speed yet?

You can literally hear the tears hit the keyboard.
Pisser😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣

Are you up to speed yet?
See where dear old Rupert made billionaires of all his kids.

Can someone please translate this for the cabal of posting mods?

Can someone please translate this for the cabal of posting mods?
6qx6ni.jpg

I respect Crikey's guts and determination here, but they are on a hiding to nothing. In these sorts of cases, the truth is rarely important. It's a matter of who can hold out the longest as the lawyers suck more and more money out of your business, or who can withstand the reputational damage the longest. It's the reason why so many cases settle -- because one party just can't afford to keep going.

Murdoch has infinitely more money than Crikey. I struggle to see how they'll keep up.

I respect Crikey's guts and determination here, but they are on a hiding to nothing. In these sorts of cases, the truth is rarely important. It's a matter of who can hold out the longest as the lawyers suck more and more money out of your business, or who can withstand the reputational damage the longest. It's the reason why so many cases settle -- because one party just can't afford to keep going.

Murdoch has infinitely more money than Crikey. I struggle to see how they'll keep up.
I suspect Crikey are probably as keen on the discovery part of this case as they on obtaining the desired outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back