Crime, and the punishment.

Black_White

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thread starter #1
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12...ge-crash-melbourne-bus-driver-jailed/10625824
I’ve seen people convicted of one punch murder get less than this.
No doubt the driver made a terrible mistake, but five years?
I call on Andrews to start a royal Commission on the judiciary and its reflection of community expectations when sentencing.
I doubt that will happen. Separation of the State and it’s servants. Are gone!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12...ge-crash-melbourne-bus-driver-jailed/10625824
I call on Andrews to start a royal Commission on the judiciary and its reflection of community expectations when sentencing.
You are aware that the convicted bus driver has 28 days to appeal his sentence...

Maggie5

Spec Moderator
AFL Club
Collingwood
Moderator #3
It does seem like a hefty sentence but then again it was a pretty stupid mistake to make and as BIGNEDKELLY posted, he can appeal which he most likely will.

AFL Club
Collingwood
It does seem like a hefty sentence but then again it was a pretty stupid mistake to make and as BIGNEDKELLY posted, he can appeal which he most likely will.
Pleading not guilty and blaming the stationary bridge and confusion at the time for the serious injury of six people tells the court that the driver hasn't accepted responsibility for his actions and is likely a major reason as to the longer than expected prison based correctional order....

Black_White

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thread starter #5
You are aware that the convicted bus driver has 28 days to appeal his sentence...
Doesn't change the sentence as handed down yesterday.
I'm sure he will appeal. Who wouldn't.
Maybe that was the intention of this judge. Ensure that there is more work for the lawyers.

Good to see that Vicroads have shut the gate after the horse had bolted

Maggie5

Spec Moderator
AFL Club
Collingwood
Moderator #6
Doesn't change the sentence as handed down yesterday.
I'm sure he will appeal. Who wouldn't.
Maybe that was the intention of this judge. Ensure that there is more work for the lawyers.

Good to see that Vicroads have shut the gate after the horse had bolted
Those rubber strips have been there for some time.

Baltimore Jack

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wouldn't you have needed to be in Court to hear ALL the evidence to make a proper assessment of the "correct" punishment?

It would appear you are making an assessment based on news reports which are notoriously unreliable or often just blatantly false

Bad Horse

Thoroughbred of Sin
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am assuming the judge, being both an experienced technical professional, and having been in the court and heard all the evidence, including having an opportunity to witness examination and cross-examination of the accused, is in a better position to make an appropriate determination of the effective application of the sentencing guidelines than I am.

As for the paper, their job is clickbait. A headline of "judge gets sentence approximately right all things considered" makes for a pretty shitful click through rate.

We are long past the point where journalism is a profession. Its marketing now, seeking "customers" for "content". To the detriment of any rational discussion of our public life.

P.S. We are not prone to bolting, contrary to popular belief. We just have urgent business somewhere else at times.

Black_White

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thread starter #10
Last edited:

Black_White

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thread starter #11
And you read the news and your heart just sinks further....
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12...ntenced-over-death-of-lisa-di-donato/10630124
Five years for killing an innocent.
This was no accident. Check out this guys driving record. Yet he was not locked up for the consistent offences and behaviour that was escalating.
How many times allowed back on the street?
Simply, the law is not reflecting the expectations of the community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maggie5

Spec Moderator
AFL Club
Collingwood
Moderator #12
AFL Club
Collingwood
"The company Aston worked for, Gold Bus, ferried family, friends and supporters from Ballarat to Melbourne this morning, holding up placards in support of Aston and accusing the courts of "victimising" him."

Good to see everyone arrived safely this time...

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Top Bottom