Criminology Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

jason_recliner

Club Legend
Dec 9, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Our discussions in crime threads sometimes go off on tangents about aspects of general criminology, taking the discussion away from the subject crime/s of the thread. Recent examples off the top of my head include:
  • no body = no parole
  • Age and other demographics of sexual assault victims
Maybe there is value in a general criminology thread, not specific to any crime/s/criminal, to keep crime-specific discussions on track while allowing criminology to be discussed?

Kicking it off with No Body = No Parole...

One perhaps unintended benefit is that murderers so calculating and evil that they treat the body in a way that will never be found (which requries a fair degree of thought and effort) receive extra punishment by default.

This research paper is worth a read, it covers the No Body No Parole aspects of it.

Public opinion on sentencing and parole in Australia

"Australia has nine different legislative regimes for sentencing and parole, as well as eight prison regimes; it has therefore been described as an ideal penal laboratory. This paper presents an overview of the extensive body of recent Australian research on public opinion on sentencing and, more recently, parole. The discussion on parole is situated in the context of an analysis of the legislative and policy landscape, which has undergone significant changes in recent years. The paper concludes with some comments on future research directions in relation to Australian public opinion on parole."

I found this a useful summary of forensic use of DNA - it's half a dozen pages of how, why etc.
The site seems a pretty good one and very much on thread.
This one talks about ethical issues.
On a side note, palaeontologists have been recovering and sequencing DNA from from specimens up to about 1.5 million years old. The field has been called molecular paleontology. As far as I know the claims for extinct Dino DNA are untrue. No Jurassic Park, yet.
Added - you can actually get non extinct Dino DNA everyday. Chooks and other birds are technically dinosaurs.

Last edited:

If you are observant, you notice a lot of drug transactions in the Malls. The other day a young woman did a handover in a well-known mall. She was smartly dressed carrying a few shopping backs. the handover was done opposite a cafe. She gave a small cube to a group of three girls. One of them packed it away in an ear pod container. On handover the dealer kept walking as she was shopping. The buyers were less polished and slower to move on. I guess the transaction could even been done electronically.

This is a good video. His work on Saville is depressing but good, and I think he also did a good video about Maddie (IIRC).

Why are girls and young women overwhemingly the most common victims of sexual assault, rape and murder by men? Bondi Junction is the most recent, most obvious example but the stats are depressingly consistent.

Last edited:
This will BLOW YOUR MIND:

Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

Explains A LOT about why what happened, happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back