Cripps Bontempelli Kelly - The soon-to-be big 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was expecting 2 superstars to showcase their best today. They both bored the s**t out of me.

Cripps had 36 disposals with 31 handballs and only 86 meters gained. Possibly the most ineffectual 36 disposal game I've seen.

Bont has been more quiet, and has again missed goals he should be kicking. Interestingly he's had 24 disposals with 567 meters gained.

Completely different play styles.
Different game from Cripps today, he's been operating at 1:1 kicks to handballs coming into the game.

However, he was dominant on the inside with 11 clearances, many of which setup SPS in the first half. Amazing performance from the pair in the first half, they were phenomenal. Coaches took the opportunity to rest Cripps for half of Q4 once the result was in the bag.

I'm disappointed about the dogs and congrats to the blues, but seriously the build up for these 2 from AFL media led to a fizzler. I'm also disappointed by that. Cripps was good, didn't do much wrong, but seriously all he did was handball backwards. 83 meters from 37 touches isn't star power and never can be. His game last week was much better.

Don't even really want to talk about Bont, his goal kicking is s**t now. No idea why. He also had no help from a bunch of useless campaigners in the midfield today.

Don't know how you could watch that performance and say it was anything other than excellent, meters gained don't tell the whole story for a guy in and under packs. He could up that stat dramatically by just slamming it blindly on the boot, instead he handballs it to a guy in space who can actually do something with it.

Great game from both of them today!

Bont threatened to make a late push at the start of the last qtr...was everywhere! His delivery to his forwards great again today, let down by his set shot miss.

Cripps absolutely outstanding! The set play of: win the ball, draw 2-3 men and find the streaming runners with pinpoint accuracy and timing is phenomenal.

Doggies came into the game as a no.1 clearance side but Cripps is the no.1 clearance player. Just an unstoppable beast.

I was expecting 2 superstars to showcase their best today. They both bored the s**t out of me.

Cripps had 37 disposals with 32 handballs and only 83 meters gained. Possibly the most ineffectual 37 disposal game I've seen.

Bont has been more quiet, and has again missed goals he should be kicking. Interestingly he's had 24 disposals with 567 meters gained.

oh-you-original.jpg

I'm 100% spot on and you blokes know it. If either of them get votes today, it's because there's no one else to give them to. Sort of like round 3.

Go ahead and call them champion players but you can't be a champion and miss easy goals all year, and you can't be a champion handballing and kicking backwards all game. Champion players take risks and break the game open and do actual damage. It's just one game, but that was seriously s**t to watch.

Cripps had 37 disposals with 32 handballs and only 83 meters gained. Possibly the most ineffectual 37 disposal game I've seen.

lol Bont wasn't even close to having the influence Cripps had that game ..delusions Dogs supporters are a funnly lot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drawing a long bow saying that Cripps was ineffectual today, but Substance is right. 2 metres gained per disposal? Those are numbers I expect from Tom Mitchell. He did draw players to him and that helped in Carlton's win, but at no point was I ever really worried about Cripps breaking open the game, much less than Harry McKay and Sam P-S. Cripps is not the best midfielder in the game with a performance like that. Bontempelli far from his best either, probably less of an impact than Cripps but neither was the whole team.

Maybe we have finally seen how Cripps plays when the rest of his team turns up.

I'm 100% spot on and you blokes know it. If either of them get votes today, it's because there's no one else to give them to. Sort of like round 3.

Go ahead and call them champion players but you can't be a champion and miss easy goals all year, and you can't be a champion handballing and kicking backwards all game. Champion players take risks and break the game open and do actual damage. It's just one game, but that was seriously s**t to watch.

Not sure you understand what Cripps' role was. To get the clearance out to our other midfielders. Did you not see how well Kreuzer, Cripps and SPS worked together? That was no accident time and time again.

Drawing a long bow saying that Cripps was ineffectual today, but Substance is right. 2 metres gained per disposal? Those are numbers I expect from Tom Mitchell. He did draw players to him and that helped in Carlton's win, but at no point was I ever really worried about Cripps breaking open the game, much less than Harry McKay and Sam P-S. Cripps is not the best midfielder in the game with a performance like that. Bontempelli far from his best either, probably less of an impact than Cripps but neither was the whole team.

Maybe we have finally seen how Cripps plays when the rest of his team turns up.

Just want to clarify, I didn't say he was ineffectual, he was solid today. But he did nothing that screamed star player today. For a 37 disposal game from supposedly a top 5 mid, it was dead set boring and I was watching cripps and bont with anticipation today and was let down. I'm not saying one was better than the other with the meters gained, just that they play very different styles.

Not sure you understand what Cripps' role was. To get the clearance out to our other midfielders. Did you not see how well Kreuzer, Cripps and SPS worked together? That was no accident time and time again.

If that's his role, he's seriously limited as far as Dangerfield, Martin, fyfe types go. They aren't limited to a role, they go beyond a role and smash teams to bits. I'm sure you now understand my point and agree that 32 backwards handballs and 5 kicks is not exactly what a star player does.

I was going to start a new post posing this question, but will Cripps win the 2019 Brownlow, like Gaz, in a team that will likely finish bottom four? Not too many other teammates to take too many votes from and is monstering games from the middle.

If that's his role, he's seriously limited as far as Dangerfield, Martin, fyfe types go. They aren't limited to a role, they go beyond a role and smash teams to bits. I'm sure you now understand my point and agree that 32 backwards handballs and 5 kicks is not exactly what a star player does.

That was his role today and he did it brilliantly. I was pretty happy with what he did.
It's not his role every week.
You repeating your point doesn't make it true btw.

That was his role today and he did it brilliantly. I was pretty happy with what he did.
It's not his role every week.

Right fair enough. I'm just saying today was a let down, they had 61 touches and it was boring. I watched the game cheering the dogs, but a lot of my focus went into watching Cripps/Bont. Carlton fans will find it exciting because they won, and dogs fans would hate todays game because we got thumped, but I'm talking purely from the perspective of 2 up and coming guns of the comp. If you take the result out of it and focus purely on the 61 possessions as a whole, it was lacklustre. If Kelly gets that many touches, we all know what he's done with it.

Don’t be an idiot. Cripps plan was to give to SPS and fish today who moved the ball. Look at their metres gained. All due to Cripps. Smart by captain and coach.

Don’t be an idiot. Cripps plan was to give to SPS and fish today who moved the ball. Look at their metres gained. All due to Cripps. Smart by captain and coach.

Alright you can stop missing my point now carlton fans. I made it pretty simple by clarifying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back