Cripps Bontempelli Kelly - The soon-to-be big 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

his been dominating since round 5. Was playing a fwd role for the first 5 weeks while libba got his midfield minutes.
Fantastic season. He isn't as good as Cripps, Bont or Kelly though. Could see him being our Cripps though (just not as good). Another 6 weeks like his past 6 weeks and he will should make AA (but will probably be overlooked)
Dogs have one of the best midfields going around.Forward line needs work however building around Naughton is a good start.Backline is suspect.Probably finish 9-11.Trading in some quality will see them top 8 next year no doubt.

Dunkley by end of next year will be top 20 in the league(not just mids).

Dogs have one of the best midfields going around.

This Bulldogs midfield is going to be incredible to watch for the next 7-10 years. Bailey Smith looks like a future A-grader too.

It's wasted by perpetually having the worst and least physical ruckmen (going back to their phasing out of Will Minson) in the league.

Either lock Tim English in the weight room until he gains another 10-15kg, or go out and get a strong, physical ruck this off-season.

It's wasted by perpetually having the worst and least physical ruckmen (going back to their phasing out of Will Minson) in the league.

Either lock Tim English in the weight room until he gains another 10-15kg, or go out and get a strong, physical ruck this off-season.

Bit of an overreaction isn’t it? I think English is doing a great job. Yep gets monstered at the moment in ruck contests, but his follow up work and around the ground stuff is top class. Brilliant young talent and will only improve. Definitely worth persevering with. Trengove can pinch hit against stronger bodies which may happen more when Morris comes back into the team.

Bit of an overreaction isn’t it? I think English is doing a great job. Yep gets monstered at the moment in ruck contests, but his follow up work and around the ground stuff is top class. Brilliant young talent and will only improve. Definitely worth persevering with. Trengove can pinch hit against stronger bodies which may happen more when Morris comes back into the team.

Today, English had zero hitouts to advantage and zero clearances, from 47 ruck contests. I know that Gawn is probably the best ruckman in the league, and Preust is a better-than-average backup, but that's simply pathetic from a lead ruckman. English now has 7 games this year with 3 or less hitouts to advantage, and 7 games with 1 or zero clearances, all while being 11th in the league in total ruck contests.

I know English and the team can only work with what they have, but whether it's English, Trengove (is a key defender, not a ruckman), Jordan Roughead (same as Trengove) or Tom Boyd (was a key forward, not a ruckman), the Dogs midfield has been losing the ruck battle and playing to the opposition ruckman more often than not for too long. And no, a few extra disposals around the ground or the occasional goal aren't a reasonable trade-off. They're wasting and wearing down (because they don't have the service of good hitouts and protection at ground level a good physical ruckman provides) what should be an elite midfield. Surely this needs to be recognised and prioritised by the coach and recruiters?

Today, English had zero hitouts to advantage and zero clearances, from 47 ruck contests. I know that Gawn is probably the best ruckman in the league, and Preust...

It's weird thee commentators kept calling him Preust today too. Is there a silent t that i'm not aware of? Sorry small nitpick, but the amount of time I see his name written as Preust and commentators calling him that confuses me.

Today, English had zero hitouts to advantage and zero clearances, from 47 ruck contests. I know that Gawn is probably the best ruckman in the league, and Preust is a better-than-average backup, but that's simply pathetic from a lead ruckman. English now has 7 games this year with 3 or less hitouts to advantage, and 7 games with 1 or zero clearances, all while being 11th in the league in total ruck contests.

I know English and the team can only work with what they have, but whether it's English, Trengove (is a key defender, not a ruckman), Jordan Roughead (same as Trengove) or Tom Boyd (was a key forward, not a ruckman), the Dogs midfield has been losing the ruck battle and playing to the opposition ruckman more often than not for too long. And no, a few extra disposals around the ground or the occasional goal aren't a reasonable trade-off. They're wasting and wearing down (because they don't have the service of good hitouts and protection at ground level a good physical ruckman provides) what should be an elite midfield. Surely this needs to be recognised and prioritised by the coach and recruiters?
Gawn and English stats were similar for same age/games played from what I recall seeing posted somewhere recently. His height/weight ratio is fine. Does need to get stronger. Its more technique and experience he needs. Give time. Grundy and Gawn were hardly much in their first few seasons, now they are the leagues best two ruckman by miles. Ruckman dominating early in their careers is next to rare these days.

Ridiculous numbers today - 22 years old and puts up 39 disposals (24 contested), 15 tackles, 2 goals when most of our team had the yips, even pinch hits in the ruck and took two very telling contested marks late in the game.

Definitely doesn't have the class of Kelly/Bont/Cripps (nor Zac Merrett). More of a Josh Kennedy who is a bid bodied type with an incredible workrate.
Very good comparison but i think when he is the age Cripps is now you will find him similar to him.

Gawn and English stats were similar for same age/games played from what I recall seeing posted somewhere recently. His height/weight ratio is fine. Does need to get stronger. Its more technique and experience he needs. Give time. Grundy and Gawn were hardly much in their first few seasons, now they are the leagues best two ruckman by miles. Ruckman dominating early in their careers is next to rare these days.

Hey, fair enough on English's progress. It's not his fault he's being thrown to the wolves.

The bigger overall concern is that this uncompetitiveness in the ruck seems to be an accepted outcome and "part of the plan" from Beveridge and the Bulldogs for years now.

Trengove played the second half of last year as a ruck and played quite well, he's been thrown back due to necessity. Quite a few of us wanted a mature stop gap ruck last trade period for 1-2 years. Over the pre-season Naughton played back and Trengove and English played a ruck duo so it was a last minute change to shuffle players around for round 1.

English can actually be quite the threat up forward so would make an ideal no 2 ruck at this stage of his career. Bevo seems to care more about what a ruckman does around the ground though. Personally I think Goldy might be gettable for 1-2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps is the size of the guy who won 4 straight AA CHF selections.

Thats not ******* normal. When he and Bont are on I just say oh well... Gray for us has those days, but he doesn't have the physical presence.

Best 2 in the comp for me.

Kelly would probably be the best winger in the AFL too, if he hadn't missed 8 games this year, and 8 games last year too.

For sure, he had the best 2017 out of the 3 and was injured in 2018 and 2019. Hopefully all 3 of them are injury free in 2019 and Fyfe, Danger and Martin continue to fire (+ Tom Mitchell will be back, for those who rate him). Will be exciting..

Cripps and Bont winning respective MVP's.

The changing of the guard is here.

How good is the next 7-10 years going to be?

yup *changing* - hasn't changed yet. How good is next year going to be? Litreally 10 or so superstar midfielders (Fyfe, Danger, Dusty, Bont, Cripps, Mitchell, Neale, J kelly, T Kelly with guys like Oliver and McCluggage pushing hard)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back