Cripps Bontempelli Kelly - The soon-to-be big 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait wut? People are disregarding Bontempelli in this comparison? Are you guys serious? He has the most pure talent of the three of them. The guy had some injuries last year, but already looks to be picking his best form back up.

I mean, Cripps is an awesome contested beast, but his kicking ability, athleticism and goalscoring are not even remotely close to the Bont's level.

I agree 100% he's the best talent by a distance, but I will admit he hasn't lived up to it the past 2 years. We (doggies supporters) are pretty sure he's been carrying a hip/back injury since the prelim. If Carlton supporters wanna say Cripps is better or anyone else say Kelly is the best, then fine, they might be better now. But lets not forget who's peak is best and who has proven to be a clutch player again and again. If Bont gets back to 100%, it's no contest with respect to Kelly and Cripps who are amazing players.

Wait wut? People are disregarding Bontempelli in this comparison? Are you guys serious? He has the most pure talent of the three of them. The guy had some injuries last year, but already looks to be picking his best form back up.

I mean, Cripps is an awesome contested beast, but his kicking ability, athleticism and goalscoring are not even remotely close to the Bont's level.

100%. For people to not rate Bont says one of two things... you don’t watch football or you’re a nuff nuff.

I'd argue that Kelly and Cripps are extremely different as well so if you can only compare players who play in the same style with the same role it's a bit pointless.
For full seasons from Grundy, Cripps, Oliver, Bont and Kelly, I'm very confident that Grundy, Oliver and Cripps will lead the other two in contested possessions and clearances and Kelly and Bont will do more damage on the spread.

Tim Kelly, like Dusty in full flight, is the one to watch, because he looks like being able to be highly effective on the inside and on the spread.
They are at least all midfielders though. And they are in the poll.

Bont not even the best at his club. Give me Macrae everyday.

Says who?? Macrae is a consistent beast no doubt, but Bont is a freak. Vision and footy IQ almost unparalleled and has the skills to take advantage of it. Always picks the right option, always puts the team/player to advantage and rarely goes backwards. His field kicking is ridiculous... sadly he’s had the yips in front of goals for a couple of years now. Prior to that his goal kicking was superb. Bont for me comfortably.

Not really directly comparible though, different player with a completely different role and skillset. Grundy is a star though but he doesnt offer what these mids do nor do they offer what he does.

If they are fully fit Kelly and Cripps would be hard to split over who I'd take. Kelly is classier, Cripps more physically dominant. You couldnt lose with either.

For me Bontempelli is a level below them.

The last time they played on each other in 2018 Bont got the 3 votes Cripps 1 even with a crook hip end of debate.

WESTERN BULLDOGS 80 def CARLTON 59 2018
3. M.Bontempelli (WB)
2. J.Macrae (WB)
1. P.Cripps (CAR)

Bont not even the best at his club. Give me Macrae everyday.
As someone who watches the dogs every week, Bont is the first picked at the club without a shadow of doubt.

Macrae is good but team's actively put in strategies to specifically curtails Bont's influence. Macrae never has to play under such conditions.

The last time they played on each other in 2018 Bont got the 3 votes Cripps 1 even with a crook hip end of debate.

3. M.Bontempelli (WB)
2. J.Macrae (WB)
1. P.Cripps (CAR)
Cool story. Who won that game too? :rolleyes:

Lucky I dont base my entire views of them and their future prospects on one game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Gibson done it twice and no one thinks he was a better player than Hodge, Rough, Mitchell, Burgoyne.
People watch too much American sport where a basketballer is one of five on court and can be in every single offensive play, likewise a QB in American football. Football is incomparable, especially because their are 18 in a side on the ground

I'd have Gibson before Roughead and Burgoyne.

I'd take Cripps out of these 3.

Martin has died in the arse, is he still in the top shelf convo based on last years form and the first 2 rounds this year?

3. M.Bontempelli (WB)
2. J.Macrae (WB)
1. P.Cripps (CAR)

Bulldog supporters pull the absolute biggest load of crap stats to support Bontempelli.

Kind of like how every single argument about him not getting much of the ball is "oh but he spends soooooo much time forward" then you play supercoach and realise he never made it to the 35% threshold to be classed as a forward/mid and was actually spending the vast majority of his time through the midfield. Of course that's just based on objective data.

As of right now, you'd still probably say Fyfe, Dangerfield and Martin make up the best trio of midfielders in the competition, but all three of them are now in their late 20s. Meanwhile Cripps, Bontempelli and Kelly all from the 2013 draft, all turn 24 this year, edging ever closer to their peak.

Are we nearing the point where these guys will be the next big 3 of the competition? And which trio of younger players are following in their steps?

Dustin Martin is not close to being in this conversation.

Bont gets hated on because the media loved him and he had success.

It’ll happen to Cripps if Carlton ever get their act together. People will turn on him.

As it is Cripps will largely have better clearance stats due to being camped at the stoppage 90 per cent of the time.
Carlton need him there and despite being key forward sized he doesn’t look to have have the forward craft in the limited time he’s spent forward.

Bont’s disposal count has been up this year but one thing he has over Cripps is he is more than adequate in the clinches but has so much more to his game. Gut running, elite disposal, ability to impact in the air.

Try again? Like what - Cripps flags 0 Bont flags 1 including B&F the same year.

Let’s be honest, we all judge players by the success they’ve had in a team environment and the individual accolades account for very little along the way.
Is that why Riewoldt & Ablett Snr aren't rated as good players.....?

Im really liking Tim Kelly. Jet. Actually thought thread title referred to him as the other Kelly I haven't seen this yr.

Have Cripps and Bont neck and neck, both ahead of Martin and as good as Fyfe. Actually IMO they are the two best mids in the comp. Ahead of Danger and Fyfe who both spray it.

Not really directly comparible though, different player with a completely different role and skillset. Grundy is a star though but he doesnt offer what these mids do nor do they offer what he does.

If they are fully fit Kelly and Cripps would be hard to split over who I'd take. Kelly is classier, Cripps more physically dominant. You couldnt lose with either.

For me Bontempelli is a level below them.

We will have both Kelly and Cripps next year in our side to compare on a weekly basis

I know I’m dreaming and he’s likely to stay at GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back