Cripps Bontempelli Kelly - The soon-to-be big 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

Im really liking Tim Kelly. Jet. Actually thought thread title referred to him as the other Kelly I haven't seen this yr.

Have Cripps and Bont neck and neck, both ahead of Martin and as good as Fyfe. Actually IMO they are the two best mids in the comp. Ahead of Danger and Fyfe who both spray it.

Agree with you on kicking being an issue for both Fyfe and Dangerfield. I mean, both are stars and outstanding footballers and I'd take them at my club in a heartbeat. But both are far from elite kicks. When you look at Voss/Buckley/Hird, they were all beautiful users by foot. Danger and Fyfe's flawed kicking takes a little of the shine off.

Just proof why team achievements mean nothing when talking about merit of an individual. Hodge is more decorated than Carey if we consider team achievements, but Hodge isn't in the conversation for the GOAT

Like people who claim Brown and Tredrea are superior to Nick Riewoldt simply based on premierships

I agree 100% he's the best talent by a distance, but I will admit he hasn't lived up to it the past 2 years. We (doggies supporters) are pretty sure he's been carrying a hip/back injury since the prelim. If Carlton supporters wanna say Cripps is better or anyone else say Kelly is the best, then fine, they might be better now. But lets not forget who's peak is best and who has proven to be a clutch player again and again. If Bont gets back to 100%, it's no contest with respect to Kelly and Cripps who are amazing players.

It all depends on injuries no doubt. Kouta at his absolute best is close to the best I’ve seen, but he only did it for a season or so at that level (in 2000).

Then in 2001 he was sort of like what Judd was like in his Carlton days as a contested inside beast, then he did his knee and was never at that level again.

I'd take Macrae. Underrated af

He is every bit on level pecking with Kelly on output and ball winning.

Kelly is eye catching though silky mover beautiful kick in general play.

I couldn't have one over the other though in terms of ability.

We had another post discussing the exact same topic that ended up in a usual crap fight, don’t think we need another.

We had another post discussing the exact same topic that ended up in a usual crap fight, don’t think we need another.
Yeah, some "crap fight" going on in this thread right now. Maybe point it out before locking?

Also, you gotta love this:
You can talk about Richmond on the Richmond board.
It's 2019 and Super Moderators on this site don't understand club boards are for supporters of that club.

Yeah, some "crap fight" going on in this thread right now. Maybe point it out before locking?

Also, you gotta love this:

It's 2019 and Super Moderators on this site don't understand club boards are for supporters of that club.

We don’t need team threads on the main board at this point in time which are basically “where are they at”. Main board rules, read them.

Wasn’t there a thread just like this with Merrett?

And by the way everyone knows Luke Power is 3 times better than Judd as he has more flags. Pfft. I love my circus full of Jokers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont gets hated on because the media loved him and he had success.

It’ll happen to Cripps if Carlton ever get their act together. People will turn on him.

As it is Cripps will largely have better clearance stats due to being camped at the stoppage 90 per cent of the time.
Carlton need him there and despite being key forward sized he doesn’t look to have have the forward craft in the limited time he’s spent forward.

Bont’s disposal count has been up this year but one thing he has over Cripps is he is more than adequate in the clinches but has so much more to his game. Gut running, elite disposal, ability to impact in the air.

What Bont importantly has is a better performing team around him that gives him support. The mere fact that Bont isn’t squarely relied upon to do the grunt work means he has the luxury of going forward and not being banged up etc.

It’ll be a sham if Carlton don’t get their $hit and find the necessary support for cripps so he’s not forced to retire at 30. We need the cripps’, Bontempellis etc to go around as long as possible.

Ahhh. The annual Bigfooty Cripps vs Bont d**k measuring contest 😍.

The answers from BF posters literally haven’t changed for two years.

“Bont benefits by being in a better team”

“Bont goes missing throughout games”

“Bont uses it much better”

“Bont doesn’t need 30 touches to dominate a game”

Rinse and repeat. Surely we’ve got better things to do then get nowhere changing the opinions on somewhere who have their opinion on Cripps and Bont set in stone. Both are stars of the competition. And do it in different ways.

I was about to post im so glad i dont have to worry about bias accusations in this thread, but then.....
Is it too soon to start the McGrath, McLuggage, Taranto thread yet?
WHY??!! :p

The McGrath/Taranto/Clug one will be good in about a year or two when they're all a little more established.

Cripps v Bont v Kelly....tough call. All look to be getting back to some consistent fitness and form.
Reckon 2019 may be the season they can be fairly judged against each other (injury gods, **** off)

Im not sure these are the guys though.
Plenty of others threatening at the moment.
De Goey, Gresham, Heeney, Brayshaw, Oliver, Whitfield.
Add to that - Jaeger and Brad Crouch look fit and ready to hit their potential.

And in the range of a few years older than these 3 are some genuine superstars in Dusty, Macrae, Cogs, Neale & Mitchell.

And with their kicking consistency forgiven, Fyfe & Danger along with Dusty are probably the 3 you're looking at from this current generation of players.

What Bont importantly has is a better performing team around him that gives him support. The mere fact that Bont isn’t squarely relied upon to do the grunt work means he has the luxury of going forward and not being banged up etc.

It’ll be a sham if Carlton don’t get their $hit and find the necessary support for cripps so he’s not forced to retire at 30. We need the cripps’, Bontempellis etc to go around as long as possible.
i think the current midfield alleviates that concern.
The Blues midfield is pretty good at the moment. Certainly not the worst in the comp.
And you've built the start of decent bookends.

May take half a season, but it will click into gear for Carlton.
If you can keep Cripps fit during that period, he may find another level to hit.

Bont may well get another 10 coaches votes in a losing side again after tonight, second week in a row.
Grundy was better. They had roughly the same number of clearances and contested possessions, but Grundy had 58 more hit outs

Also, Cripps is so far ahead of the other two it is not funny.

Kelly could reach Cripps level on impact, if he stays fit.

Bont is overrated and shanks every kick at goal.

Yeah Bont needs to fix his goalkicking desperately. He only puts them straight through the middle when it's a match winning goal. Was excellent in 2015/2016, hardly ever missed. Now he's got low confidence. If he gets it right, he might be joining the best in the comp discussions pretty quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back