Cripps Bontempelli Kelly - The soon-to-be big 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Cripps v Bont comparison is only close because Bont was fortunate to luck out a flag after the AFL decided to add a bye prior to finals. They weren't even close to the best team that year. Free kick bulldog helped them out on GF day as well.
Thanks for your contribution. You're better suited for the Bay

Try again? Like what - Cripps flags 0 Bont flags 1 including B&F the same year.

Let’s be honest, we all judge players by the success they’ve had in a team environment and the individual accolades account for very little along the way.
Bont -fantastic player, Cripps - the elite! i think Danger is still number 1!

Was actually one of Cripps’ quieter 30 touch games. Reminded me more of 2015 Cripps who had a younger Murphy, Gibbs and Judd (briefly) in there with him. Knew he didn’t have to step around multiple players and create a lot of run by himself. Probably shows how talented he is that he had 30+ and I didn’t think it was one of his better games. It didn’t need to be and I think he knew that.

If Petrevski-Seton can start playing at a high level like that constantly I daresay him and Cripps on the ball togerher is going to cause some headaches for opposition teams. SPS can clearly be so damaging with skills while Cripps with his evasiveness and ball winning ability can create space where there isn’t a lot and get the Blues on the attack quickly.

First half Cripps was huge, and was obviously playing to a role that is better suited to having his team win. Maybe wrong to specify his performance as 'not-hugely influential', however it was much less of a one man show and more of a midfield team working together, which we will come to see in later years. What I was trying to point out is that Cripps, when he has helpers, is able to play a more team-centric role that won't have him be best on ground every week. Similar to Bontempelli in that when his team is performing he is not required to be a dominant force in his role, and therefore will not standout as much.

They had very unique performances today. Cripps in a position that allowed him to free up runners that could take the ball inside 50, Bont playing a metres-gained role which saw him average around 25 metres gained per disposal.

Really, I hope this thread gets locked. It has turned into the biggest dick-measuring contest imaginable and instead of talking about the next generation of great midfielders, we are busy debating who has the bigger utensil.

Cripps spent a fair bit of time on the bench in the 4th quarter too.
Bont is great to watch but not kicking for goal. Unsure if Dogs kicking for goal was just an off day or if it was Carlton's defence. I don't watch enough Bulldogs to know though.

The Cripps v Bont comparison is only close because Bont was fortunate to luck out a flag after the AFL decided to add a bye prior to finals. They weren't even close to the best team that year. Free kick bulldog helped them out on GF day as well.

That's bullshit. Dogs were great in all of their finals

He's going at 29.8 a game though. And once you get it 20+ times it starts mattering more how you use it. He ain't in career best form in that regard. In 2015 he'd cut teams apart with 12 kicks. He doesn't really do that anymore.
I totally agree. SPS went at 88% today with his 35 disposals. It was the Cripps inside show and the SPS outside show. They are finally building cohesion. Hard to stop the 1-2 punch if it stays that good.

Great players both of them. The concept that a panel of keyboard warriors "has" to determine which is best is ludicrous. Pit bont in carltons team and we would be four goals better (and 4/1 on the ladder) and put cripps in the doggies and they would be four goals better. They would be outrageously good together because they are not similar players and their strengths would complement each other.

Lol. Judging a player on team success is an embarrassing argument. With that said. Im still picking Bont #1. But that dogs fan has no idea if that’s what he’s basing his opinion on.
Why not? Apparently Voss and Hird were better than Buckley because of it.

Does anyone actually give a s**t though?

Is having the title of a top 3 midfielder in the comp something fans or players place any importance on?
Have you seen the length and passion of this thread? It's obviously something that many people give a s**t about.

What an incredibly dumb question from you which you could have answered yourself by reading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Cripps is ranked worst in the comp by Champion Data for hitting targets inside 50 on his opposite foot during the 3rd quarter of wet games played interstate against teams starting with S.

Bont is ranked #1 in the AFL in this category.
Funny stuff haha

On a serious note, but just as funny, Champion data didnt rate cripps as elite at the start of the year, as a mid. But Aaron Hall was!

I was expecting 2 superstars to showcase their best today. They both bored the s**t out of me.

Cripps had 37 disposals with 32 handballs and only 83 meters gained. Possibly the most ineffectual 37 disposal game I've seen.

Bont has been more quiet, and has again missed goals he should be kicking. Interestingly he's had 24 disposals with 567 meters gained.

Completely different play styles.
Maybe stop looking at stats and watch the game utensil.
Cripps didnt need to kick long or hand ball forward when SPS, fisher and dow were always on the outside receiving cuz your midfield couldnt guard 3 donkeys. Was BOG with SPS, set his team mates up all day. was legit taking the piss it was that easy!

So everyone who isn't a foaming-at-the-mouth lunatic agrees.... Bont and Cripps are both sensational players, with slightly different but extremely impressive and effective skillsets?

You people are why we can't have nice things.

Just let him believe our outside mids in SPS and Fisher just spawned the ball from nowhere, it won't change the reality that they were largely influenced by Cripps feeding them and everybody knows it.

That being said, the SPS and Cripps combo that was on display was phenominal.

Not denying Cripps' influence, but SPS and Fisher did both have 7 clearances each, and both registered double-figure contested possessions as well (15/35 for SPS, 10/28 for Fisher). They were winning their own ball a fair bit of the time too.

Was actually one of Cripps’ quieter 30 touch games. Reminded me more of 2015 Cripps who had a younger Murphy, Gibbs and Judd (briefly) in there with him. Knew he didn’t have to step around multiple players and create a lot of run by himself. Probably shows how talented he is that he had 30+ and I didn’t think it was one of his better games. It didn’t need to be and I think he knew that.

If Petrevski-Seton can start playing at a high level like that constantly I daresay him and Cripps on the ball togerher is going to cause some headaches for opposition teams. SPS can clearly be so damaging with skills while Cripps with his evasiveness and ball winning ability can create space where there isn’t a lot and get the Blues on the attack quickly.

Do you think it's any coincidence that this all happened with Kreuzer back in the side?

Kreuzer has never been a great/prolific hitout winner or tap "artist", but his ground level work and bullocking and space creation and protection of other mids around the stoppage is elite for a ruckman (see his 2017 season for recent evidence), and has definitely been sorely missed by the Blues, both so far this year and for most of last season, too.

If the big man stays fit in the middle, it'll make things so much easier for the other young mids to do their thing (take note, Bulldogs - get a proper physical mature ruckman!).

Last edited:
One of the more cringe worthy and pointless threads I've been unfortunate to see. Posters from both teams embarrassing themselves with absurd, and childish dick measuring.

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion and you don't have to be interested if you don't want to be.

The other guy was questioning whether anyone at all was interested.

Strange that you're in here though if you're not interested. Most people just read the threads relevant to then ;)
haha yeah, well I'm just here to work out why no-one's talking about the Stack-man, Syd Vicious..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back