Cripps Bontempelli Kelly - The soon-to-be big 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I get what you're saying, but I actually do think both clubs would be weaker by swapping. Carlton need the big, unstoppable body from Cripps, while Dogs need the class and composure that Bont offers. At least for the Dogs, we have guys like Dunkley and Macrae who would be too similar to someone like Cripps, while I don't think Bont would be as good as he is if he were at Carlton where there's less midfield support around him.

Absolutely love watching the Dogs/Carlton games and seeing them go head to head. Even if they don't play on each other, seeing them both trying to drag their side across the line and being an obvious tier above the rest is such a spectacle

Yep completely agree, Cripps is a beast, but the Dogs have a few that can do a similar (albeit not as bull-like) job. Bont is unique and very hard (if not impossible) to cover with the remaining players on our list. Inside/outside/link man/forward/leadership etc etc.

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
There is no big 3 nowadays like the Swan, Ablett, Judd trio.

One of these is not like the others..

Kind of agree with your sentiments that there are about 5-8 very good players right now with no stand out. However, I'd say Cripps, Bont and Kelly are going to be the next standouts in a season or two. Also really rate Oliver (2 years younger than those three, averaging 30+ disposals, BnF in his 2nd year and AA in his 3rd year).

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you were asking me to pick a team from players in the comp under 25 then the first five picks would go:

1. Jordan De Goey
2. Marcus Bontempelli
3. Harris Andrews
4. Tim Kelly
5. Patrick Cripps

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
If you were asking me to pick a team from players in the comp under 25 then the first five picks would go:

1. Jordan De Goey
2. Marcus Bontempelli
3. Harris Andrews
4. Tim Kelly
5. Patrick Cripps

De Goey is a jet, but a little reactionary on his performance last night. Doubt any coach would take him over Bont/Cripps if offered the choice between the 3.

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

1. Jordan De Goey
2. Marcus Bontempelli
3. Harris Andrews
4. Tim Kelly
5. Patrick Cripps

You haven't seen Aaron Naughton play ? He is only 19 and leading the Comp with contested marks.

Jonno94

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
De Goey is a jet, but a little reactionary on his performance last night. Doubt any coach would take him over Bont/Cripps if offered the choice between the 3.
When he gets fully fit (hopefully next year), he's a certain 20 touches, 2+ goals a game jet. They absolutely would.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
When he gets fully fit (hopefully next year), he's a certain 20 touches, 2+ goals a game jet. They absolutely would.
Best small fwd in the game, but wouldn't take him over 2 giant midfielders.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Must be why the post was straight after the friday night game.
Because I really have an axe to grind against Bontempelli? They're both already great players, but I see De Goey has the potential to get even better. We don't really need to argue about this...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Never said he was a spud. But he's far from these 3. From memory the bloke who started the previous thread was also an Essendon supporter.
Maybe now there's a bit of a gap... though Merrett is still an A-grader, the other 3 are just elite. But when that thread was started Merrett was better performed than Cripps and had had better recent seasons than Bont.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maybe now there's a bit of a gap... though Merrett is still an A-grader, the other 3 are just elite. But when that thread was started Merrett was better performed than Cripps and had had better recent seasons than Bont.
The other thread began when the Bont was about to embark on a historic finals series and was about to be crowned AA, and Cripps was not far behind. At that point Merrett was far from those two names, and while he's played some good footy in between, the previous thread was started by a bloke who was just hopeful of his player being mentioned alongside the other two.

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
The other thread began when the Bont was about to embark on a historic finals series and was about to be crowned AA, and Cripps was not far behind. At that point Merrett was far from those two names, and while he's played some good footy in between, the previous thread was started by a bloke who was just hopeful of his player being mentioned alongside the other two.
Merrett, Cripps and Bont were all breaking out at the same time. They all have the same number of All-Australian nominations. All of them made multiple appearances in the 22under22. They all have top 10 finishes in the Brownlow. The comparisons between then in 2016 and 2017 were fair, especially 2017 when Merrett was arguably the best performed of all of them.

Bont, Cripps and Kelly have gone ahead of Merrett the past 2 years, but it's not like Merrett is that far off. Meh - hopefully teams keep underrating him.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings

1. Jordan De Goey
2. Marcus Bontempelli
3. Harris Andrews
4. Tim Kelly
5. Patrick Cripps

I feel like Tim Taranto is strangely underrated here. His kicking needs work, but he's pretty much elite for a third year player. Certainly as good or better than those others were at the same age/stage.

Also, when do we add Josh Dunkley to this group too?
Ridiculous numbers today - 22 years old and puts up 39 disposals (24 contested), 15 tackles, 2 goals when most of our team had the yips, even pinch hits in the ruck and took two very telling contested marks late in the game.

Definitely doesn't have the class of Kelly/Bont/Cripps (nor Zac Merrett). More of a Josh Kennedy who is a bid bodied type with an incredible workrate.

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
When he puts a body of good work together,say the next 18 months.

his been dominating since round 5. Was playing a fwd role for the first 5 weeks while libba got his midfield minutes.
Fantastic season. He isn't as good as Cripps, Bont or Kelly though. Could see him being our Cripps though (just not as good). Another 6 weeks like his past 6 weeks and he will should make AA (but will probably be overlooked)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back