Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merrett would be a Bulldog too if not for the Crameri trade.

My favourite part about the Merrett selection is that Essendon already told Rory Lobb they were selecting with pick 26 as EFC were anticipating Hawthorn taking Merrett in the selection before.

Low and behold, EFC were shocked Hawthorn overlooked Merrett for Hartung, leaving EFC to deliberate. Ultimately, Dodoro was told by Bomber Thompson to trust his gut, which led him to select Merrett.

Thanks hawthorn :D

Massive game from Kelly.
43 disposals, 19 contested, 8 clearances and a goal.
Yeah but what was his metres gained per contested possession whilst drinking daiquiris through a straw and balancing a coconut on his forehead? That's the only stat that counts.

Kelly has sailed past the lot this year. Hasn't had less than 21 touches all year (only been under 25 three times). 30+ 8 times. 10+ tackles 5 times.
Averaging nearly 30 touches, nearly 5 clearances and over 6 tackles a game and also getting nearly a goal a game and over 4.5 inside 50s.
The guy is a flat out star in a strong team that's winning games. The other three are all still amazing players so the fact that Kelly has waltzed past them is truly amazing.

Merrett would be a Bulldog too if not for the Crameri trade.

I really doubt the bulldogs would have taken another small midfielder given our list. Lachie Hunter was taken the year before as a father son, Libba was our best and fairest in Merrett's first season and Wallis was playing very well. Factor in the other mids in Bont and Macrae and if we'd used pick 26 on Merrett that would have not made sense.

You can argue about Merrett's quality v the midfielders the dogs have but at that point there was no way of knowing

I really doubt the bulldogs would have taken another small midfielder given our list. Lachie Hunter was taken the year before as a father son, Libba was our best and fairest in Merrett's first season and Wallis was playing very well. Factor in the other mids in Bont and Macrae and if we'd used pick 26 on Merrett that would have not made sense.

You can argue about Merrett's quality v the midfielders the dogs have but at that point there was no way of knowing

You would've taken Lobb at 26 I think.

Merrett got taken as early as he did, because Essendon felt he would have settled better with his brother in the team. Doubt most of the other teams would have taken him that early either, because Merrett didn't have 17 more brothers playing at the 17 other clubs.

The Dogs had Merrett in their top 10, and hadn't considered he'd be an option at 26.
I ended up in a conversation with Dogs recruiters in May of 2014, who were adamant they would have taken him.

If it came down to it though, maybe the pressure on drafting a tall would have got to them.

Merrett got taken as early as he did, because Essendon felt he would have settled better with his brother in the team. Doubt most of the other teams would have taken him that early either, because Merrett didn't have 17 more brothers playing at the 17 other clubs.
That's actually not correct at all.
Dodoro was caught between Merrett and Lobb, and Bomber told him to go with his heart instead of his head for once.
So he picked Dodoro, that's the actual story.

In hindside he is the exact type of player that they need. A tall ruck/kpf

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's actually not correct at all.
Dodoro was caught between Merrett and Lobb, and Bomber told him to go with his heart instead of his head for once.
So he picked Dodoro, that's the actual story.

"Go with your heart Adrian"...nek minnet, he drafts himself and lives out his childhood dream of playing AFL footy. Fair play, I would do the same.

Looked injured to me. Saw him look like he was unable to run late in the fourth.
He doesnt yet have the tank to play in midfield the whole game. A few more preseasons and he might be able to get there but we need to be patient with him.

Hes still got a lot of great qualities, its just incorrect to compare him with other full time mids.

He doesnt yet have the tank to play in midfield the whole game. A few more preseasons and he might be able to get there but we need to be patient with him.

Hes still got a lot of great qualities, its just incorrect to compare him with other full time mids.

It's nothing to do with his tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back