Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s physical enough. I can’t find the video but I remember Scott Pendlebury discussing this and highlighting the bont’s Physicality as something that set him apart.

Watch the second game vs north in 2016. He had north players, particularly Michael Firrito, rattled.
very strong on his feet. tends to hold his ground in a contest and bounce out of them.
like a ram cross a gazelle or something.

He reminds me a lot of Hirdy. Just natural in what he does.

I think that's my order too for now.

Bit bored of this debate like many others, but I'm still amazed by the quality of this draft.
we should start a new one.
too many differences between the 4.
Kelly and Merrett are the only 2 that are alike.

And we have guys like Crouch, Knight, Hewett, Jones, Fantasia, Billings all growing nicely.

Crouch should be in the conversation. As should Jones. Another year like 2017 and Billings and Fantasia should be in too

Kelly is more physical than Bont? I don’t think Bont is a brute in any sense (And I don’t think Kelly is soft either) but there isn’t much difference there imo.
He’s physical enough. I can’t find the video but I remember Scott Pendlebury discussing this and highlighting the bont’s Physicality as something that set him apart.

Watch the second game vs north in 2016. He had north players, particularly Michael Firrito, rattled.

I'm finding it so hard to put a word to what I'm trying to describe, but that ability to really lift his physical intensity frequently is what I see separating him from Kelly. He is definitely not soft as a player, but I see Kelly as being able to go against the tide and crack in with a ridiculously hard ball get or similar, while when Bont turns games, it is through other means (intercept marking, class disposal, thinking his way through things).

They are both at the top of this group, but I just like Kelly's game that bit more than Bont imo.

i think you can put Crouchy in.

And thats a pretty good assessment of the players.
Bonts versatility is hard to ignore. He is a game changer, where the other 4 are quarter by quarter consistent guns.
Kelly really broke out this year, and there's a reason he was rated as good as he was in that draft.

I struggle to put him ahead of Merrett for the fact he's done it for a season and a bit. Merrett has done it for 2 and 1/2 seasons.

But then i struggle to put them in any particular order. I think this topic has moved now with the emergence of other players and the differences between the 4.

I'd be putting up;
Cripps v Oliver v Wines
Merrett v Crouch v Kelly
Bont v Curnow (early, but still) v Petracca (Burton could join this conversation depending how his year forward/mid goes in 2018).

I think they're more comparable players.

The thread is interesting comparing these 4, and I guess if I had to chuck Matt Crouch in, I would out him just ahead of Cripps. Crouch has just got more runs on the board now, and has reached AA as a mid, when from this group, Cripps hasn't. His outside spread is now on par if not better than Cripps (still very heavily inside biased), but doesn't have as much of a goal sense as Cripps.

Depending on next year, Crouch vs Merret may become an interesting debate, albeit between two very different types of Player

I'm finding it so hard to put a word to what I'm trying to describe, but that ability to really lift his physical intensity frequently is what I see separating him from Kelly. He is definitely not soft as a player, but I see Kelly as being able to go against the tide and crack in with a ridiculously hard ball get or similar, while when Bont turns games, it is through other means (intercept marking, class disposal, thinking his way through things).

They are both at the top of this group, but I just like Kelly's game that bit more than Bont imo.

The thread is interesting comparing these 4, and I guess if I had to chuck Matt Crouch in, I would out him just ahead of Cripps. Crouch has just got more runs on the board now, and has reached AA as a mid, when from this group, Cripps hasn't. His outside spread is now on par if not better than Cripps (still very heavily inside biased), but doesn't have as much of a goal sense as Cripps.

Depending on next year, Crouch vs Merret may become an interesting debate, albeit between two very different types of Player
Merrett is kind of the in between of Brad and Matt.
Matt is the guy Merrett would be dishing off too or putting in space to run and carry. Brad the guy Merrett would be getting the ball off.
You don't fancy sending them over do you? :p

One similarity - they are both the better brother :) Brad would have been if not for injury.

I’m guessing Oliver isn’t on this list because he’s already surpassed them.
this thread has a 2013 draft rule.

If we opened it up, the debate would be huge.

Oliver v Wines v Cripps v B.Crouch.
Bont v Petracca v Curnow v Burton
Kelly v Merrett v M.Crouch v Billings (with a lot more in this class as well)

this thread has a 2013 draft rule.

If we opened it up, the debate would be huge.

Oliver v Wines v Cripps v B.Crouch.
Bont v Petracca v Curnow v Burton
Kelly v Merrett v M.Crouch v Billings (with a lot more in this class as well)
Thanks mate.

Would have Oliver ahead of Cripps but a class below the others

I love Oliver. Wonderful player too but got to laugh at the context of the clueless comment.
There is no better contested ball beast in the game for this coming decade of players than Crippa.

Played the most games of 2017 of any player in AFL with broken bones. Guy is absolute gun.
Cannot wait to see him again when not injured.

I love Oliver. Wonderful player too but got to laugh at the context of the clueless comment.
There is no better contested ball beast in the game for this coming decade of players than Crippa.

Played the most games of 2017 of any player in AFL with broken bones. Guy is absolute gun.
Cannot wait to see him again when not injured.

Plus he doesnt dive for frees like Oliver or act like a twat on social media. Oliver could learn a thing or two Cripps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is not in my mind. It is on the field. Go watch him play and you might get a clue.

I’ve seen a bit of him and I see a superb clearance player who in a better side would be a vital cog in a great midfield.

He’s not a complete enough player to be really at the level of Bont etc

I’ve seen a bit of him and I see a superb clearance player who in a better side would be a vital cog in a great midfield.

He’s not a complete enough player to be really at the level of Bont etc

I think if both have a good run with injury this year you'll be suprised by how close they will be.
Both players will be considered elite over the next 5 to 6 years.
I think the other players mentioned are all young guns, but I wouldn't have any over Bont or Cripps.

I’m guessing Oliver isn’t on this list because he’s already surpassed them.

Look at the 45 other salty Melbourne fans posts before getting your burning your bra Suzie.

How come the video always cuts away whenever Cripps kicks the ball?
....it only didn't show where his kicks went twice - once because the camera stayed on him for his goal celebration, the other because the camera was behind him showing downfield where the kick was going already. Watching the video before commenting on it too difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back