Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All players 22 years of age, two in the AA team two arent

Yet not comparing Matt Crouch (22) and in the AA team

Is M Crouch above all four of these or below?
I think with players that age you cant tell over their career just yet. I think he stepped up and entered the conversation last year.

Last edited:

I love the Bulldog fans creeping out from the woodwork now. I mean, come on, it's a meaningless debate. I wouldn't trade Merrett for any of the other three, I'm sure GWS fans would say the same for Kelly, Bulldog fans for Bont and Carlton fans for Cripps.

It's like comparing Sam Mitchell, Jobe Watson, Adam Goodes and Simon Black. They're all stars. Who cares where they're ranked?

tbh if i had watson i would trade for black or goodes no question

Herein lies the crux of the issue - it is an exercise in futility comparing Merrett and Bont as they are apples and oranges. Bont is the extractor who can also drift forward and become a marking target. Merrett is a gun accumulator who is comparable to Lachie Hunter (and is obviously better). The problem for Merrett was writ large in the final against Sydney - he got bashed up by a hostile opposition and can now be expected to receive the same treatment week in week out. The big problem for Merrett is he has nobody to help him out and protect him from the rough stuff he will cop in spades moving forward.

funny thing is if these 4 were in the same midfield theyd complement each other perfectly

1, Cripps
2, Kelly
3, Bont

Light years

4, Others

I know Kelly had a wonderful break out year but FFS, ahead of Bont on that alone?, No chance.
Bonts pivotal player in a premiership team so young. He has more credits in the bank than Kelly at this stage.

People are confusing Bontempelli's lack of improvement from an already top-25-in-the-league-level performance in 2015 and 2016 into 2017 as him being somehow of a worse player than the other three in 2017, who showed improvement across that period.

I know Kelly had a wonderful break out year but FFS, ahead of Bont on that alone?, No chance.
Bonts pivotal player in a premiership team so young. He has more credits in the bank than Kelly at this stage.
Geez, I dunno, did you see some of the stuff Kelly did this year? Sublime player.

He was let down at times by the endeavour of a few around him, whereas Bont happened to be within a side that scrapped and scraped for 4 quarters in 2016.

Individually, I reckon I'd take Kelly over Bont without too much thought.

My ranking is more so based on the Bont having stagnated in the last year. I anticipated, with his age profile, to take it to another level, and that didn’t happen. He can go back to second in 2018 if he boosts his output to that 27-30 possession a game average as each one is extremely damaging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait to see what 2018 brings for the BigFooty Penis Size Comparison & Discussion thread. Looking forward of another year of Essendon fans debating whether size really matters, Bulldogs fans discussing whether consistency is everything, Carlton fans bragging about their "beast" and GWS fans, well I'm sure somebody will be talking about Kelly.

Oh, and don't forget Melbourne fans trying to shove their girthy, red-pubed, unloved manchild into the mix.

Geez, I dunno, did you see some of the stuff Kelly did this year? Sublime player.

Individually, I reckon I'd take Kelly over Bont without too much thought.
I get that Kelly is the shiny new toy for many in 2017 that some probably did not even know much of him until 2017 but had my eye on him for 2 or 3 years and always going to be very good mid. However, in Bonts we are talking something special. Maybe only Carey as such a young player has commanded such presence in a team like Bonts has so early in his career and never take for granted how good he is already. Kelly still has some way to go to be rated this highly. One breakout season and trendy for so many to finally notice him more and talk about when chased coming out of contract. It is upward awareness of him by many. Short memories of what Bonts already done.

I get that Kelly is the shiny new toy for many in 2017 that some probably did not even know much of him until 2017 but had my eye on him for 2 or 3 years and always going to be very good mid. However, in Bonts we are talking something special. Maybe only Carey as such a young player has commanded such presence in a team like Bonts has so early in his career and never take for granted how good he is already. Kelly still has some way to go to be rated this highly. One breakout season and trendy for so many to finally notice him more and talk about when chased coming out of contract. It is upward awareness of him by many. Short memories of what Bonts already done.
Please don’t pretend like you’re the only person who has watched Kelly prior to this season.

You originally stated that Bont was a pivotal player in a premiership year, and while that is great, just because Kelly’s team couldn’t put it all together he shouldn’t have to wear that as a reason as to why he’s a lesser player.

Mmm
Kelly is a gifted player. I think he did benefit somewhat from support from our mids. We haven't really had to throw him in the deep end in the way that some teams might have. We've used him outside a lot. Bontempelli was in the thick of things at the same age and delivered, so your point is fair.

Next year I think Cogs, Ward, Griffen and Hopper will be our hard edge with Shiel and Kelly inside as a variation, but mostly looking for space outside.

Please don’t pretend like you’re the only person who has watched Kelly prior to this season.

You originally stated that Bont was a pivotal player in a premiership year, and while that is great, just because Kelly’s team couldn’t put it all together he shouldn’t have to wear that as a reason as to why he’s a lesser player.

Not pretending I am only person who has noticed Kelly prior to this season but I an very aware from general football followers that a lot do not take notice of good Giants until a lot longer than other clubs seen a lot more on tv. If you've watched Kelly a lot even before this season, great, then you knew he had a lot of signs he was going to be a really top grade mid.

However, now he is getting there and not just on potential now, it does not mean he jumps into be better rated than players that achieved more. It is not a knock to him to be not rated better than Bonts. It is a credit to him to be even rated up near him after this season. It is more a case Bonts has major credits in bank on what he achieved already and Kelly will have to do even more to go past him. That will be hard as Bonts is a specal one.

In time we may find out Kelly is just as special but lets not get ahead of ourselves rating him so high before he has got there.

Ideally we actually see something like Dogs v GWS in 2018 grand final. That would be special to see some of these young guns, get their chance to strut their stuff on the big stage together.

Last edited:
I get that Kelly is the shiny new toy for many in 2017 that some probably did not even know much of him until 2017 but had my eye on him for 2 or 3 years and always going to be very good mid
Congratulations for following the first couple of seasons of a number 2 draft pick. You should be commended.

Looking at Bontompelli 2017 you have to take into account how he was used by the coach, and how many of the support cast were not carrying their weight.

He spent a lot of time plugging holes, often up forward; or filling roles which do not lend to dominating games.

There are only three Carlton players I wouldn't swap for Bont in a heartbeat, at least on exposed form. He's a genuine gun.

(The three are Docherty, Cripps and the baby Curnow. Hoping to add at least one to that list in 2018.)

A lot of talking down of Bontempelli’s 2017.

He was still seventh in the Brownlow (2 votes behind Kelly), his club best and fairest (second in a row), in the AA squad and just outside the AFLCA player top 10.

And you jokers call that a down year? It’s as good as anything Cripps has done.

Wouldn’t trade Charlie Curnow or Sam docherty for Bont in a heartbeat? That’s potential or a really good half back for one of the hands down best in the comp. you are kidding yourself.

Congratulations for following the first couple of seasons of a number 2 draft pick. You should be commended.

Not easy when he is just one of a zillion early picks for GWS, but I did it so thanks. :p

Had him in my supercoach team a bit too early though as a forward in 2016 or 15 from memory.
GWS would rest him some weeks on purpose which got annoying after awhile.

Wouldn’t trade Charlie Curnow or Sam docherty for Bont in a heartbeat? That’s potential or a really good half back for one of the hands down best in the comp. you are kidding yourself.

You seem to be unaware of the importance of the elite distributing halfback, of which Docherty is the best. A role Gibbs is set to play at Adelaide. Who payed two first rounders for it.

And also seem to have failed to see the off the chart development of Curnow. If you are old enough to remember Pavlich as a young player who could win a game off his own boot with 30+ in the midfield, or 4 goals as a key forward, you'd know. That's where Curnow is headed.

You seem to be unaware of the importance of the elite distributing halfback, of which Docherty is the best. A role Gibbs is set to play at Adelaide. Who payed two first rounders for it.

And also seem to have failed to see the off the chart development of Curnow. If you are old enough to remember Pavlich as a young player who could win a game off his own boot with 30+ in the midfield, or 4 goals as a key forward, you'd know. That's where Curnow is headed.

You’re starting to stray into delusional territory. What you want to be doesn’t mean what is. What you are saying is you wouldn’t trade either of those two for a 22 year old proven premiership best and fairest calibre genuine top echelon player of the comp type.

Docherty will miss this whole year and as for the importance of his type that is well overstated. Good flankers come from anywhere, he’s easily replaceable. Hell, the 2016 norm smith medalist plays his position and he was a rookie pick.

Let’s see Curnow get to Jake Stringer level before we talk about Pavlich.

You wouldn’t get Bont for either straight out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back