Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) 18 votes and a B&F in 2016

Played with broken ribs and ultimately scored himself a broken leg to put an end to his season last year.

Likely 2 BOG's in 5 games to start 2018, but he's not in which conversation?

The one in Bunk’s head, luckily he articulatates that in writing for us on this forum and we don’t have to hear the swirling of the breeze.

Last edited:
Man this thread can be cringey. One of the youngsters in question has a great game, cue said player's team's supporters coming into gush.

That said, let's be honest, I only clicked on the thread because of Cripps' game last night.

Not in th
Not in the conversation? Right now he’s clearly ahead of Merret and Bont at least. Blind Freddy can see that. Far more influential.

He’s yet to put together a season of the quality of Kelly and Merrett’s 2017 or Bontempelli’s 2016. That’s all.

Footy is all about recognising the last five mins. Cripps is playing some great footy and is superb to watch. But there’s some underrating of what the other three have already done - which were/are amazing things for their age.

I didn't watch the game but how does a player like Bont play CHF and only take 4 marks?

Was the disposal that bad?

To his b&f year? Sure.

To his AA year? Nah.
It was a perfect storm of shitness. It got wet, Sandilands could just outmuscle English and put it down Fyfe’s throat.
All while Bont was stuck at full forward. Incredibly frustrating...

Also remember when Carlton posters sooked it up because people would come in here after their player had a good game... they’re definitely not saying that now.

It probably gives credibility to his BnF year when he backed it up. Cripps will get our BnF again this year. Would of got it last year if not for injury.
Sam Docherty wins Carlton’s bnf 99/100 times with the footy he played last year. Apparently the 1/100 was Murphy last year... Cripps was certainly not a lock if he didn’t get injured.

In the wooden spooners who won four games.

It was hardly All Aust stuff.

I’m not saying he won’t be a gun, but he’s yet to achieve anything that the other three have. It might well come this year, he looks awesome. But if you think he’s achieved what the other three have, you’re smoking the good stuff.
He was the #1 clearance player in the comp in 2016, none of the others have achieved rank 1 status

Sam Docherty wins Carlton’s bnf 99/100 times with the footy he played last year. Apparently the 1/100 was Murphy last year... Cripps was certainly not a lock if he didn’t get injured.
I absolutely agree that docherty should of won but Cripps was hitting his straps before he got injured in rd15. He’s definitely going to win it this year.

Cripps has good games but until he does it over a season at least he’s not in the conversation with the other three
That was one season of his career.

The other three have performed to higher standards over full seasons. They’re all AAs and deservedly so.

It’s round 5. If Cripps reaches that level this year he’ll be in the conversation.
Make up your mind. You can’t set the goalposts then move them when you’re wrong.
I’m not interested in arguing which of the four is better because it really doesn’t matter, but Cripps has already done it consistently over a season. His other seasons have unfortunately been interrupted with injury and no preseasons until this year. Hopefully he gets a good run at it from here.

Make up your mind. You can’t set the goalposts then move them when you’re wrong.
I’m not interested in arguing which of the four is better because it really doesn’t matter, but Cripps has already done it consistently over a season. His other seasons have unfortunately been interrupted with injury and no preseasons until this year. Hopefully he gets a good run at it from here.

How do you rate his hurt factor compared to the other 3 mate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know what the problem is. He hasn’t produced a season like what the other three have. Of course there’s reasons for it, such as injury.

It’s no shame. But every time he plays a good game people get a bit out of control. I think it’s mostly because he’s a damn sexy footballer in terms of the way he plays.

I reference the All Aust team thing because it’s one of the few things that is selected by a panel and thus individual biases are lessened.

I mean s**t, there’s five starting midfield positions in the All Aust team - just last year it was Martin, Dangerfield, Mitchell... and Kelly and Merrett. That is very rare air.

Nobody needs reminding of Bont’s 2016.

Football is always about what happened the past five minutes... but s**t, it seems theres some serious lack of recognition for how good those three have been and what they’ve achieved at such a young age. They’re some of the best players in the league over the last couple of years.

Of course Cripps can join them, and might well as soon as this season. He just hasn’t done it yet. Yes injury has played a part in that, but that happens.

But we’re 5 rounds in and people are behaving like he’s been dominant over a whole season.
In 2016 he was top 1-2 in contested ball and clearances and I think top 10 in tackles. Was putting up similar numbers to Kennedy, who I’m pretty sure made AA that year. So he’s obviously put up AA quality numbers over a season but was overlooked for the player with the same numbers in the better team. It happens.

How do you rate his hurt factor compared to the other 3 mate?
I would say his hurt factor is probably down due to his teammates undoing his hard work. Put him in a top 8 team and watch him be one of the most damaging players in the league (hopefully we can provide him with that in the next few years), but that’s not really a measurable thing and has nothing to do with the point I was making.

Nice selective bolding.

The “that was one season” was regarding him having a season ending injury, not how he was playing.

Try reading properly.

As for his career being interrupted by injury, I’ve said countless time that injury has of course impacted him. It’s a perfectly acceptable excuse. But that happens. People can say “once he gets fit” until the end of time. The fact is the others have done it - it’s not an “if” story.

I think that is a fair assessment!
I think cripps does thing the other guys cant while carrying a pack of spuds. Rarely have we had him and murphy fit together!
Due to injuries he just hasnt put together a massive body of work!
A full season would deliver him a brownlow.
I'd love him at essendon. Would give up 2 years worth of 1sts for him

Cripps is too slow, if he doesn't win it in the contest then his opponent will get metres on him and he wont even apply pressure. Still a superstar though. Would have him second behind Kelly

You could say that about half of Sydney’s midfield in terms of pace.

All 4 are bloody good and it will be bumped when any of the 4 has a blinder or shocker (the former being more frequent)

Cripps is too slow, if he doesn't win it in the contest then his opponent will get metres on him and he wont even apply pressure. Still a superstar though. Would have him second behind Kelly

Has averaged 5.6 tackles over his career which is the most of the 4. All of the 4 are good tacklers mind you.

None of these guys have a problem in applying pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back