Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With how much the football community seemingly loves to create three-way debates between players, are Patrick Cripps, Marcus Bontempelli and Zach Merrett the next generation's trio that will trigger debates for decades to come?

All drafted from the 2013 draft, all three players will likely romp home their B&F counts and have solidified their places as stars of the competition.

For Patrick Cripps, he has arguably established himself as the best clearance player in the league in what is practically only his second season, following a B&F last year.

Bontempelli, there's not much you can say about him that hasn't already been said. The youngest winning captain in AFL history, Bont is on a trajectory that is going to reach some scary heights.

Merrett continued on from a breakout season last year to develop into an elite footballer in what are most the trying circumstances a young footballer could find himself in. Merrett also captained his team at the age of 20, leading the Bombers to only their second win of the season.

Who will be the best of this trio? Is there any other player who should be included within this debate?

It's hard to go past the Bont, but Cripps and Merrett make it a genuine hard debate.

Guessing Dangerfield didn't play well? Fyfe has been forgotten as well? Ever heard of Parker? Hannebury?

Dangerfield is 26, Hannebery is 25, Fyfe is 25 next month, Parker 24 in October. In Dangerfield's case to form the example, he was drafted in 2007 - to highlight the point, would you consider Hawthorn's 2008 premiership team to be a different generation to their 2014 one?

Considering that Merrett is 20, Bont 20 and Cripps turned 21 this year, I think they belong in a different conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People don't debate about three-ways from the same year unless they were taken 1,2 and 3. Usually it's three players from the same vintage. Merrett won't even be in the Top 20 players from that drafting period.

I assume this is a fishing expedition though, so I'll let you celebrate attracting one bite, and continue on.

I can only assess players if there's an existing template.

That's why it's comforting when there's a 'new' big 3. I recognise that frame. It feels familiar and not weird.

Like, I couldn't figure out what Jesse Hogan was until someone said he could be the 'next' Jonathan Brown.

It's like how they made a new Star Wars film. I liked it because it was basically the same as the first one. But at the same time they said it was new.

If there's no ill-fitting precedent, I can't fathom it. So this is good.

People don't debate about three-ways from the same year unless they were taken 1,2 and 3. Usually it's three players from the same vintage. Merrett won't even be in the Top 20 players from that drafting period.

I assume this is a fishing expedition though, so I'll let you celebrate attracting one bite, and continue on.
LOL you have no clue mate

Dangerfield is 26, Hannebery is 25, Fyfe is 25 next month, Parker 24 in October. In Dangerfield's case to form the example, he was drafted in 2007 - to highlight the point, would you consider Hawthorn's 2008 premiership team to be a different generation to their 2014 one?

Considering that Merrett is 20, Bont 20 and Cripps turned 21 this year, I think they belong in a different conversation.
So a bloke is 26, 25, 24, and 23, and they're different generations? Mate, what year were you born?

Fishing for what exactly?

If anything, I'd assume you were fishing with that observation.

Enjoy your bite.

Cripps just had 30 disp (20 contested), 12 clearances (5 in the first quarter where the game was won), laid 13 tackles. A tidy 153 SC points. In his 43rd game.

Averages 8.75 clearances per game (next best is JP Kennedy with 7.75) to be number one in the AFL after 21 rounds. Unless Kennedy can collect 22 clearances next week, and Cripps fail to register one, will top the AFL for clearances this year.

Is number 2 for contested possessions behind Kennedy with 16.55 per game (Kennedy on 16.65).

Turned 21 five months ago.

Freak.

It'll be a very impressive draft year if Merrett isn't in the top 20 players.

Cripps just had 30 disp (20 contested), 12 clearances (5 in the first quarter where the game was won), laid 13 tackles. A tidy 153 SC points. In his 43rd game.

Averages 8.75 clearances per game (next best is JP Kennedy with 7.75) to be number one in the AFL after 21 rounds. Unless Kennedy can collect 22 clearances next week, and Cripps fail to register one, will top the AFL for clearances this year.

Is number 2 for contested possessions behind Kennedy with 16.55 per game (Kennedy on 16.65).

Turned 21 five months ago.

Freak.

I think you'd share my frustration at how pundits refer to these three players after producing performances like todays as 'a star of the future'.

They're stars now!

Lol

Thanks for taking frontrunner Crameri and giving us the pick for Merrett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back