Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrett has had a season on par with, if not better than, Adam Treloar. Let that sink in. Your hatred of Essendon and jealousy of us taking Merrett at 26 when you drafted two flops in the top ten has blinded you to a very good player.
i'm happy with Treloar.

Can't really blame them for not watching us, I probably wouldn't have watched a neutral team in our circumstance.
That's the problem, he's not a freak, he just does a lot of things very well, he's an incredibly well rounded player, with no glaring weaknesses. Cripps is a clearance freak and Bontempelli slows down time.

Cripps is Greg Williams
Bontempelli is James Hird
Merrett is Mark Ricciuto
No chance, more like Daniel Ker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Zach finishes up on 63 coaches votes, just 6 off a top 10 finish, polled in 11 matches.
Not a bad effort for a vanilla accumulator.
Did you just do the maths yourself? I can't find a list outside the top 10. Cripps picked up 12 in the last two weeks and I remember him being just outside the top 10 at one point in the year. I think he'd finish quite high as well.

Zerrett got 42 AFLCA Coaches Votes in the last 8 (votes in all but two games) rounds of the year, and 63 for the year. Early year he got a few 1-3 votes.

With more wins and building on the later year form he is absolutely up there as one of the best young players in the league with Bont and Cripps.

Last edited:
Cripps was 30 from six games in the first 11 games, then 30 from five the second half. With 30 in the last six games (votes in all but one game) of the year.

So between the two of them, very similar. 63 votes to Zach, 60 for Cripps. Both getting votes in 11 games in sides that didn't win much.

Ok let's sum it up.

Bont > Cripps & Merrett

Bont also had slow start to season as well due to surgery in pre season

I think pretty much everyone agrees on this, apart from some Carlton fans who want to say that Cripps is much better than Merrett.

Last edited:
It's only the most important when you cherry pick stats.

Bontempelli is above both players quite considerably.

I was talking about Cripps v Merrett. Bontempelli is a different discussion. I think, if pressed, I would probably take the Bont over Cripps right now with the caveat that I think a young midfielder playing for the Doggies gets an easier ride than Cripps effectively trying to carry an entire team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back