Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poor troll is poor.
Benefited from being in a team with no midfield, made him look better than he is.

Things back to normal now going off last night, could of said he didnt play and i wouldn't of noticed. Marty Gleeson 2.0

Mills is slightly ahead of the pair though IMO.
i would say its Mills ahead with parish closing and Oliver about to own them both. I was at the Dees game on Saturday before our match. When he lit it up in the last half, he was doing some freaky stuff. I am going to enjoy watching Melbourne this year.

Watch Oliver's game from the weekend. Esp the 3rd quarter. He was doing Cripps' clearance game and Bont's impact game and making it look easy.
Kid is a star and his engine is starting to let him to do what he can do for longer.
He'll rocket to being one of the games best.
I know he's a star and I watched his game and he was very, very good. Cripps at his best (from what we have seen) is a whole nother level. Oliver will definitely be a top 10 player at his peak, but IMO he will never be as good as Cripps or Bont.

Only thing that annoys me is the way people are rating these players after just one round of footy with some players having limited pre seasons (Cripps, Bont). An earlier poster said that Merrett has now gone past Bont. As good as Merrett is, that is just being silly. Some people are just taking in this round and nothing else into their calculations.

Benefited from being in a team with no midfield, made him look better than he is.

Things back to normal now going off last night, could of said he didnt play and i wouldn't of noticed. Marty Gleeson 2.0
Poor troll is poor. Was one of our best. 25 touches and 6 I50's IIRC
i would say its Mills ahead with parish closing and Oliver about to own them both. I was at the Dees game on Saturday before our match. When he lit it up in the last half, he was doing some freaky stuff. I am going to enjoy watching Melbourne this year.
Yep, agreed.

I know he's a star and I watched his game and he was very, very good. Cripps at his best (from what we have seen) is a whole nother level. Oliver will definitely be a top 10 player at his peak, but IMO he will never be as good as Cripps or Bont.

Only thing that annoys me is the way people are rating these players after just one round of footy with some players having limited pre seasons (Cripps, Bont). An earlier poster said that Merrett has now gone past Bont. As good as Merrett is, that is just being silly. Some people are just taking in this round and nothing else into their calculations.
i rated Oliver as a kid and watched him through the Casey VFL a bit last year. He looked a bit off AFL fitness to do what i saw him do as a junior at the end of the last year.
His JLT form was ominous. His rd.1 efforts nothing short of spectacular. He will be heads and shoulders above Cripps and Merrett and i reckon he's got the game to overtake Bont too. If he stays fit and continues to gain fitness to play more than 3/4 on the field, he will rip the comp apart.

I really really really really wanted him to slip to us. Parish and Francis are awesome, but i'd give up either for Oliver.

This isnt off one round! Oliver was vwry promising last year! His jlt was off the charts for a 2nd year player and his round is just another step in his rise

He isn't good, well overrated by Essendon supporters. Great 6 I50's, and 8 turnovers, not a damaging player.
No, you're just a poor troll. He gets a game at every club based on output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isnt off one round! Oliver was vwry promising last year! His jlt was off the charts for a 2nd year player and his round is just another step in his rise
Was more commenting about the rating of Merrett above these two when literally taking the one game into the equation. You're absolutely right though, Oliver is a bonafide gun and will mix it in with the best in years to come.

Personally have never been that impressed with cripps compared to the other 2. Seems to love to take body contact and then handpass rather then handpassing before being tackled. Also think the other 2 have a class about them that cripps doesnt. All personal opinion of course but personally think bont and oliver will be the better 2 on 10 years! Bonts an absolute freak and has proven it on the bigstage

Was in our top 5 players on the ground IMO. You should watch the game, instead of looking at it.

Was in our top 5 players on the ground IMO. You should watch the game, instead of looking at it.
Dont understand that merret quote that he had no one in the midfield thats why he looked so good. He wasnt playing against essendon weak midfield every week he was carrying them! Wouldnt him playing in such an average and inexperienced midfield make his efforts last year more impressive

Dont understand that merret quote that he had no one in the midfield thats why he looked so good. He wasnt playing against essendon weak midfield every week he was carrying them! Wouldnt him playing in such an average and inexperienced midfield make his efforts last year more impressive

Yeah exactly, but hey, if you're stupid, you aren't very often going to provide insightful commentary are you? ;)

Personally have never been that impressed with cripps compared to the other 2. Seems to love to take body contact and then handpass rather then handpassing before being tackled. Also think the other 2 have a class about them that cripps doesnt. All personal opinion of course but personally think bont and oliver will be the better 2 on 10 years! Bonts an absolute freak and has proven it on the bigstage

Cripps contested ball and clearance numbers last year were better then Fyfe's in he's Brownlow year, that is off the charts stuff for a 3rd year player.
Last year Cripps absolutely ripped Melbourne's midfield to shreds, with Oliver Viney Vince Jones Petracca Brayshaw all playing IIRC
Also did it to them the year before, when Vince was one of the best taggers in the comp.
Hopefully he can do it again next week, but he hasn't had much of a preseason, so 3 in row could be a big ask.

According to this thread it depends. If you're say Libba or Cripps and you carry the midfield in a crap side while being statistically the best or second best contested player in the entire league it doesn't mean much.

Libba was younger than Merrett is this year when he lead the league in clearances and was top 5 in CPs and tackles. He's the same size as Merrett too. But now Libba spends time in the forward line kicking goals in a premiership team and Merrett would be our second best player.

I reckon I'll crack the code eventually.

So invisible that he was named in the bests.

Go back to Monopoly champ as football clearly isn't your thing.

Cripps contested ball and clearance numbers last year were better then Fyfe's in he's Brownlow year, that is off the charts stuff for a 3rd year player.
Last year Cripps absolutely ripped Melbourne's midfield to shreds, with Oliver Viney Vince Jones Petracca Brayshaw all playing IIRC
Also did it to them the year before, when Vince was one of the best taggers in the comp.
Hopefully he can do it again next week, but he hasn't had much of a preseason, so 3 in row could be a big ask.

Cripps didn't play well round 1 though.

This means his whole past is now null and void

Loool did you even watch the game? He was one of our best.
He is already better than "I broke my hand playing with my dog" De Goey

This thread is hilarious.

Cripps being totally disregard because he had a poor round one off the back of hardly any preseason.

For the record Bont isn't head and shoulders above Merrett or Cripps either. Sure he made a big impact in the finals last year, but that's more to do with the team. Put Cripps or Merrett in that Dogs side and I'm sure they're having a big impact too. Cripps and Merrett both equally had great years last year and were only just behind Bont in the Brownlow count.

And for someone to say they don't even rate Cripps at all is hilarious. Number one clearance player last year, saw him tear multiple teams to shred with his work inside. Just because he handballs a lot and struggles a bit by foot, doesn't mean he isn't an extremely talented player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back