Cripps Bontempelli Merrett Kelly - the next big 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol are you still mad at the fact that you picked up a spud in Billings with your first round pick? We picked up Merrett and Fantasia with later picks who are twice the players the Billings will ever be.

Oh well, at least our list isn't as s**t as yours. Have fun being that mediocre team you always have been.
Fantasia and Merrett are LITERALLY twice the player Billings is *insert crazy drunk face here*

Fantasia and Merrett are LITERALLY twice the player Billings is *insert crazy drunk face here*
It must cut deep that we get better player with our picks in the 50's than Blues get in the 10's.

That gap is closing pretty fast.

Was bloody stiff to miss the AA squad last year and has started the season with a bang. will only get better with the quality personnel around him now.
Unless Merrett can win a best and fairest in a premiership year in which he is best on ground (if we're going by Champion Data), whilst also being AA, I think the gap remains large for a while yet. Not to mention the impact Bontempelli currently has on games is significantly greater than Merrett's. Bont can have 20 disposals and kick a goal or two and still be best on by a mile, such is the impact of his possessions. Don't get me wrong, the kid is a jet but it''s unfair to compare anyone to him - there is no 'big 3' in my opinion, it's just the Bont.

Unless Merrett can win a best and fairest in a premiership year in which he is best on ground (if we're going by Champion Data), whilst also being AA, I think the gap remains large for a while yet. Not to mention the impact Bontempelli currently has on games is significantly greater than Merrett's. Bont can have 20 disposals and kick a goal or two and still be best on by a mile, such is the impact of his possessions. Don't get me wrong, the kid is a jet but it''s unfair to compare anyone to him - there is no 'big 3' in my opinion, it's just the Bont.

That may be so but at this stage you would have to say that the Bont and Merret are the best 2 of that draft year.

Unless Merrett can win a best and fairest in a premiership year in which he is best on ground (if we're going by Champion Data), whilst also being AA.
The Bont

Better than any Saints player ever.

That is very specific. Neither Dangerfield or Fyfe has managed that and yet statistically their impact on the game is well ahead of Bontempelli. Wayne Carey also never achieved that. Neither did Gary Ablett Snr and arguably Gary Ablett Jnr.

The reality is that, according to Champion Data, Bontempelli, Merrett and Cripps were all tracking in the top 10 players in the competition over the second half of last year. Merrett and Cripps really stepped it up during that period and the gap between them and Bontempelli (who established his top 10 credentials much earlier) closed significantly.

I crunched some numbers for Merrett - unfortunately it was too time-consuming to also do it for Cripps - that suggest that he averaged around 16.9 ranking points per game between rounds 12 to 23 last season. That jumped further to 18 ranking points per game over the final eight rounds. Both numbers, if sustained and extrapolated over a 40 game sample, would see Merrett comfortably ranked in the top 5.

Now Bontempelli absolutely deserves a great deal of credit for being great for longer - any ranking of players requires evidence of sustained performance - and he also deserves credit for playing great throughout the finals. His past two seasons have been exceptional for any player and he is firmly entrenched in the leagues top 5 to 10 players. But this idea that there is 'daylight' or that the gap hasn't closed significantly between Bontempelli and Merrett / Cripps isn't reflected in the actual numbers and available measures of production and impact on the contest.

By seasons end, and in the absence of any injuries, I would not be surprised to see Bontempelli, Merrett and Cripps ranked in the top 10 according to the AFL Player Rankings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right. Robert Harvey was no Jordan Lewis.

He's rated internally as highly as Petracca/Brayshaw/Oliver so he will be very interesting given he's in the same class as those three, that being said he's more of a flanker than a true mid.
Yeah, I am big on Hunt and Stretch. Your midfield is downright scary. Pity all the teams with good youngsters will have to compete with GWS.

That is very specific. Neither Dangerfield or Fyfe has managed that and yet statistically their impact on the game is well ahead of Bontempelli. Wayne Carey also never achieved that. Neither did Gary Ablett Snr and arguably Gary Ablett Jnr.

The reality is that, according to Champion Data, Bontempelli, Merrett and Cripps were all tracking in the top 10 players in the competition over the second half of last year. Merrett and Cripps really stepped it up during that period and the gap between them and Bontempelli (who established his top 10 credentials much earlier) closed significantly.

I crunched some numbers for Merrett - unfortunately it was too time-consuming to also do it for Cripps - that suggest that he averaged around 16.9 ranking points per game between rounds 12 to 23 last season. That jumped further to 18 ranking points per game over the final eight rounds. Both numbers, if sustained and extrapolated over a 40 game sample, would see Merrett comfortably ranked in the top 5.

Now Bontempelli absolutely deserves a great deal of credit for being great for longer - any ranking of players requires evidence of sustained performance - and he also deserves credit for playing great throughout the finals. His past two seasons have been exceptional for any player and he is firmly entrenched in the leagues top 5 to 10 players. But this idea that there is 'daylight' or that the gap hasn't closed significantly between Bontempelli and Merrett / Cripps isn't reflected in the actual numbers and available measures of production and impact on the contest.

By seasons end, and in the absence of any injuries, I would not be surprised to see Bontempelli, Merrett and Cripps ranked in the top 10 according to the AFL Player Rankings.
Interested in where you got this info? Wouldn't mind checking it out myself when I get time. Cripps' final 8 or so games last year were a level above the rest of his year and came against some handy opponents (Adelaide, West Coast, Sydney, Hawthorn).

Interested in where you got this info? Wouldn't mind checking it out myself when I get time. Cripps' final 8 or so games last year were a level above the rest of his year and came against some handy opponents (Adelaide, West Coast, Sydney, Hawthorn).

The numbers can be calculated using the twitter account for the AFL Player Rankings since the rankings for each game are posted. I just looked at each Essendon game and estimated Merrett's point total. I then cross-checked this against a few tables that were tweeted to ensure they are pretty accurate.

I did some quick calculations for Cripps. He was averaging 17.1 ranking points per game between rounds 16 and 23. That average jumped to 19.4 points over the final four rounds.

Both Merrett and Cripps were absolutely flying towards the end of last year. They were in the type of form, which if sustained would see them comfortably ranked in the top 10 by the end of this season.

The numbers can be calculated using the twitter account for the AFL Player Rankings since the rankings for each game are posted. I just looked at each Essendon game and estimated Merrett's point total. I then cross-checked this against a few tables that were tweeted to ensure they are pretty accurate.

I did some quick calculations for Cripps. He was averaging 17.1 ranking points per game between rounds 16 and 23. That average jumped to 19.4 points over the final four rounds.

Both Merrett and Cripps were absolutely flying towards the end of last year. They were in the type of form, which if sustained would see them comfortably ranked in the top 10 by the end of this season.
Cheers. It's a shame that Cripps' interrupted preseason left him underdone last week, but hopefully he can get back to his best shortly.
I'm a bit over the argument now, it's just going around in circles.

Speaking of player ratings, it's off topic, but can anyone explain how Nankervis got in the rankings team of the week ahead of Kreuzer, Gawn or Martin?

Kreuz vs Nank
2 goals each, 15 touches to 8, 4 marks to 3, 4 tackles to 3, 39 hitouts to 27, 4 clearances to 3, 120 DT points to 83, 121 SC points to 114.
He wasn't even the best ruck in the game, let alone the round. He looks like a good pick up though.

Speaking of player ratings, it's off topic, but can anyone explain how Nankervis got in the rankings team of the week ahead of Kreuzer, Gawn or Martin?

Kreuz vs Nank
2 goals each, 15 touches to 8, 4 marks to 3, 4 tackles to 3, 39 hitouts to 27, 4 clearances to 3, 120 DT points to 83, 121 SC points to 114.
He wasn't even the best ruck in the game, let alone the round. He looks like a good pick up though.

Just coz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back