Opinion Cripps or Judd

Who has been better for the club?

• Cripps

Votes: 60 40.0%
  • Judd

Votes: 94 62.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Chis Judd’s early West Coat years were just superlative and so impactful it was just brilliant footy he produced, don’t think another footballer in last decade or so has gone close to outright domination.

Neither has won the ultimate team achievement (premiership) yet. Until Cripps gets it done it goes on individual accolades.

For mine there's been no individual accolade better over the past 20 years than the unbridled joy Judd gave us watching Eddie McGuire's veins pop out of his neck when he won the Brownlow over Dane Swan.

Judd for mine but will end up being Cripps.

Just don't forget the hard road forged before and during Cripps's time that gets us to 17 and beyond.

Love how fickle footy fans are.
A year ago people were claiming that Walsh was our best player & that Cripps may be past his best - now at peak fitness, he's being compared with one of the modern greats.
Judd's best was better but it doesn't matter, we've been lucky to have both players represent our club.

you reckon? i think it might be the opposite, judd was more consistent but cripps' best (esp. this year) is insane.

if cripps is at his best he's good for 30+ and 2-3 goals. how often did judd do that? i reckon judd was more consistent, would have his 30+ and be incredibly damaging, bit imo cripps does that as well kicks his goals.

i reckon judd ahead narrowly atm but cripps will surpass him fairly soon. just needs a brownlow really - which he could this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd the better player and Cripps the better leader/clubman.

I think Cripps is a more natural leader. I know he's worked a lot at it and it didn't come naturally to him, but the fact he was so driven to develop that part of the game and was passionate about pushing the club forward automatically makes him a great leader as that's what they do.

I think Judd was far more inwardly focussed. He was so driven to improve and push himself to the absolute limit that he probably didn't give the club and team the focus and leadership that Cripps does. Aside from lead by example, obviously, as anyone watching him would see what the ultimate professional is like - even Cripps himself has said that.

In terms of impact at the club its hard to say. You have 1 who at his peak was being talked about as a top 5 player ever for a period there then sat on the board for a bit. Having said that, Cripps seems like the kind of pillar clubs are built around, I'm not sure Judd quite ever was that. Cripps gives the team, club and culture an identity.

I came in this thinking I was going to say Judd but as I've gone I've convinced myself it's probably Cripps if things keep going as they are.

Last edited:
Hard to call.

Prime Judd was better, developed the culture (e.g Mentor Cripps when he came to club and even after retirement) and Cripps probably would of not beocme the player today if it wasn't for Judd's guidance.

Cripps is the only reason they gave me reason in watching those smashing in the rebuild.

I go with Cripps cause I have more emotional attachment to him from the suffering.

I think some people are missing the actual question - who has been better for the club? NOT who is the better player.
This.

Judd was exactly what the club needed at the time. A bonafide star with previous success. The amount of time that we were a successful side under him was fleeting though.

Cripps also exactly what we needed. A star in the making, from scratch. Someone we can call our own. The fact that he's grown into the player, leader and captain that he has, is a bonus. He still has time on his side and is hopefully about to enter an extended period of success that could see him go past Judd in a lot of facets. I also don't think it can understated how important it was for the club that he continued to extend his contracts, despite the limited on field success and the lure of big dollars to return to his home state and play for the team he grew up supporting. And the fact that his latest deal was reportedly on less money. That kind of thing has a flow on effect that can lead to mass buy in from the playing group.

Looking at it purely from a club perspective and not individual skill, success or accolades, I'd give Cripps the nod, narrowly. The next few years could see him widen the gap though.

skadoosh nailed it... I didn't ask who was the better player. I asked who was better for the club.

Judd brought a lot of positives to the club and he was a big reason why we got back to being a finals side for a few years. He brought the professionalism and drive that the club needed at that time.

Cripps... he came to the club and became the piller we built the side around. He made the club, through his sheer presence, build a midfield around him. And when the club got the Robin to his Batman in Walsh, we suddenly became a destination club again.

Comparing the two as footballers is impossible. Judd was an inside/outside player with a massive burst of pace who had to change his game later in his career. Cripps is a pure inside contested ball midfielder. He walks over players to win the ball. There is is no comparison as footballers.

Judy and its not remotely close for mine.

Imagine C Judd with present day Centre bounce setups. He'd be running it to 50 and kicking bombs 3 x a game.

Back