Cripps or Oliver.

Who is the better player

• P. Cripps

Votes: 328 55.9%
  • C. Oliver

Votes: 259 44.1%

• Total voters
You couldn't form an argument if your life depended on it.
1547991.jpg

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
- Cripps is stronger
- Oliver is a better user by hand and foot
- Cripps is a better mark
- Oliver is faster

Poll doesn't reflect actual output. I'm ok with Cripps winning but half the people voting against Oliver just don't like him because of the staging.

A skewed poll is more about definite difference than magnitude of difference.

Cripps could be winning the poll 100 votes to 1 and yet every one those 100 only rate Oliver adrift by the smallest of margins.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
A skewed poll is more about definite difference than magnitude of difference.

Cripps could be winning the poll 100 votes to 1 and yet every one those 100 only rate Oliver adrift by the smallest of margins.

Thats a fair call, I still think Oliver cops a bad rap from some people on his actual ability though. Lot of ignorant fans still think he is just a vanilla inside mid.

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
I'd take Oliver. Can do the same things as Cripps but is a better kick and miles faster. Has the ability to develop into that rare type of player like Dangerfield, Fyfe and Martin. They may currently be at around the same level but Oliver is younger and I think his attributes give him more scope to become a better player in the long term.

Thankyou for making an accurate observation.

Cripps has done well in a struggling team but Oliver will end up a generational player ala Martin, Danger and Ablett.

Cripptonite

All Australian
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Funnily enough I think the success of Cripps and to a lesser extent Wines/JPK was at least part of the reason why the Dees were so keen on Oliver at Pick 4. Both are jets and will likely finish their careers with multiple AAs and even a Brownlow or two. Both teams should be happy but at this stage I have to back my man Cripps who has more runs on the board single-handedly carrying not just a midfield but a whole team. IMO would have easily won the Brownlow/MVP this year if he played for a team that won more than two games. The comp better watch out if these two can keep improving every year.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Can't go wrong with either and you'd be lucky to have one, but far out there are some offended Dees and Blues fans if you pick one over the other.
This one is close enough that there is no "correct" answer, it's just personal preference and it will likely change year to year as one has a slightly better season than the other and the following year it's the reverse. It's not a significant difference though.

I went with Cripps at this point in time, ask me halfway through 2020 and my answer could be different though, ask me in 2022 and it could be different again.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't go wrong with either and you'd be lucky to have one, but far out there are some offended Dees and Blues fans if you pick one over the other.
This one is close enough that there is no "correct" answer, it's just personal preference and it will likely change year to year as one has a slightly better season than the other and the following year it's the reverse. It's not a significant difference though.

I went with Cripps at this point in time, ask me halfway through 2020 and my answer could be different though, ask me in 2022 and it could be different again.
Very balanced.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

Lol you picked Cripps over Oliver... You don't even know.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
Interesting stats based article by King today, as he uses unemotional stats to forecast the game's next superstars.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There’s the elite of the AFL competition, and then there’s the creme de la creme.

Fourteen players who sit in a rare bracket of extreme talent.

No one outside this group can realistically be talked about as the game’s best player.

From Champion Data player ratings we know that most of these players have broken into the stratosphere at 24, having shown what they are capable of at 22 years of age.

They generally maintain this elevated level of excellence through there mid-to-late 20s.

But for the first time we can start to track Generation Next.

Which young midfielder is the next Dusty Martin, Patrick Dangerfield or Nat Fyfe?

Patrick Cripps and Clayton Oliver are often compared and play similar roles for their teams, but comparing their 21-year-old AFL seasons is not a close contest.

Oliver wins by a mile.

Using the unemotional AFL ratings system Oliver will comfortably be the AFL’s best midfielder in 50-60 games.

DAPyB1mn4xzi8u1_TpwdDyhvVjdOWchccM2aQ8sae0D9uSTlW0B8cMjvni9N1ZeaDFyRCJqKtkHrzjT02-QWyjlQZhvTrpSOrygXpTQLNlTTKLD3hyhy9MIJ3DhpZ6j4j2iniwOK

Are Isaac Heeney, Ollie Wines and Josh Kelly going to be in that conversation?

It’s no slight on these players to reside in the elite bracket but their current clubs, or potential suitors, would be questioning the financial investment around these sorts of projections.

On AFL ratings Josh Kelly is not yet a $1 million-plus player but the next 18 months will tell all.

He’s clearly an accomplished high-level player but there’s many of those types on far less lucrative remuneration.
Kelly’s 2017 season had the full spectrum of influence including clearances, shots at goal and a high contested-possession ratio."

TW4e7i62M0vx96M23avIlLgUdkyRuhEKbdHH7-WxroELmpDzlKwFkB2_EAgBtcY9YxK8pDVBWuKuzeXXhCx5tWL1JwOxLUHMI3mmG_-8FRk8J--lZRHxqQ195_2w27F9ipyl6xF_

Back