Cripps or Oliver.

Who is the better player

• P. Cripps

Votes: 329 55.8%
  • C. Oliver

Votes: 261 44.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Except his football ability, which is why he's setting new records every year.

We've acknowledged his football ability.

We're talking about physical and athletic attributes. It's more a credit to Oliver that he's able to achieve what he does, without any physical advantages or points of difference.

Imagine if he had his football ability and was also a physical or athletic freak!

We've acknowledged his football ability.

We're talking about physical and athletic attributes. It's more a credit to Oliver that he's able to achieve what he does, without any physical advantages or points of difference.

Imagine if he had his football ability and was also a physical or athletic freak!
I think you overstate perceived physical advantages. Greg Williams is the best Carlton player I've seen and in the best 10 players I've seen. He wasn't a physical freak. But he had insane footy IQ.

And I've already pointed out that Oliver came third in DC's agility test and that he has above average speed for an inside mid. These two areas alone separate him from most inside plodders.

I'm happy to leave it...

I think you overstate perceived physical advantages. Greg Williams is the best Carlton player I've seen and in the best 10 players I've seen. He wasn't a physical freak. But he had insane footy IQ.

And I've already pointed out that Oliver came third in DC's agility test and that he has above average speed for an inside mid. These two areas alone separate him from most inside plodders.

I'm happy to leave it...
Neither of those are stand-out physical traits.

They are for an inside mid, which is the role Oliver plays.

What was Greg Williams standout physical trait ?
They are not. They're good traits to have, but certainly not "physical freak".

Again, no-one is saying Diesel or Oliver can't have good careers, stop being so insecure. It just means they have to get there, without the innate advantages that being a physical freak or athletic beast can bring.

They are not. They're good traits to have, but certainly not "physical freak".

Again, no-one is saying Diesel or Oliver can't have good careers, stop being so insecure. It just means they have to get there, without the innate advantages that being a physical freak or athletic beast can bring.
Insecure ? That's a laugh.

I simply disagree with you. Footy IQ is the best ''physical trait'' any footballer could ever have.

Footy IQ and IQ are mental traits.

Physical traits are characteristics to do with the body, such as height, strength and athleticism.
It's all part of the makeup of a footballer.

I'd contend Greg Williams proves that footy IQ is the most important trait a footballer can have. It's why players like James Hird was as good as he was. James Hird wasn't bigger, faster, or more elusive than his opponents.

You place far too much emphasis on the physique and not nearly enough on the mind.

Footy IQ trumps all.

It's all part of the makeup of a footballer.

I'd contend Greg Williams proves that footy IQ is the most important trait a footballer can have. It's why players like James Hird was as good as he was. James Hird wasn't bigger, faster, or more elusive than his opponents.

You place far too much emphasis on the physique and not nearly enough on the mind.

Footy IQ trumps all.
The mind and Footy IQ is important, no-one is disputing that.

That doesn't change the fact that Oliver does not have any stand-out physical traits, because he is not a physical freak or athletic beast, unlike Cripps, Fyfe, Danger, Judd etc.

Stop being so insecure and just face facts.

The mind and Footy IQ is important, no-one is disputing that.

That doesn't change the fact that Oliver does not have any stand-out physical traits, because he is not a physical freak or athletic beast, unlike Cripps, Fyfe, Danger, Judd etc.

Stop being so insecure and just face facts.
All along my premise is that footy IQ trumps everything else. Anyone remotely familiar with football would be aware of this. You seem to think that if you don't have freakish physical traits it's a handbrake on how good you can be. I think your conclusion is nonsense.

Robbie Flower is the best wingman I've seen. He'd fail your test.

And, as stated, Oliver does have stand out traits for an inside mid. Pace and agility, which is uncommon.

Btw, Cripps has massive size, but it also renders him poor where Oliver excels.

All along my premise is that footy IQ trumps everything else. Anyone remotely familiar with football would be aware of this. You seem to think that if you don't have freakish physical traits it's a handbrake on how good you can be. I think your conclusion is nonsense.

Robbie Flower is the best wingman I've seen. He'd fail your test.

And, as stated, Oliver does have stand out traits for an inside mid. Pace and agility, which is uncommon.

Btw, Cripps has massive size, but it also renders him poor where Oliver excels.
You've tried to argue that footy IQ is a physical trait. Don't backtrack now.

Oliver may become the best player to ever play the game. If he does so, it will be despite his lack of physical freakishness, compared to many greats of the modern game.

You've tried to argue that footy IQ is a physical trait. Don't backtrack now.

Oliver may become the best player to ever play the game. If he does so, it will be despite his lack of physical freakishness, compared to many greats of the modern game.
It's all part of the make up of a footballer.

The most important trait.

Do you argue otherwise ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been over this, footy IQ is important, and arguably the most important. It still does not make it a physical trait.

Do you still believe footy IQ is a physical trait? Or do you now admit that you were wrong.
Its called a straw man. Don't even bother with those low-tier debating tactics.

We've been over this, footy IQ is important, and arguably the most important. It still does not make it a physical trait.

Do you still believe footy IQ is a physical trait? Or do you now admit that you were wrong.
Who cares if it is or isn't. It's one component of a player's skill set.

Glad you weren't dumb enough to argue it's not the most important element to player performance. ;)

Who cares if it is or isn't. It's one component of a player's skill set.

Glad you weren't dumb enough to argue it's not the most important element to player performance. ;)

If you can't even grasp the difference between physical and mental traits then you really are hampered in your ability to understand and engage in this discussion properly.

Answer the Question: Footy IQ, do you still think its a physical trait or do you admit you were wrong?

If you can't even grasp the difference between physical and mental traits then you really are hampered in your ability to understand and engage in this discussion properly.

Answer the Question: Footy IQ, do you still think its a physical trait or do you admit you were wrong?
Something something Greg Williams something Oliver agility something something.

You sound like a dope. Of course mental traits are different to physical traits. But they're all part of a footballer's makeup.

In football, a high IQ usurps physical gifts, which renders your obsession with physical traits a nonsense.

In reality, you're more interested with a player's ''freakish physical'' genetics. I suspect you get lost watching footy.

You sound like a dope. Of course mental traits are different to physical traits. But they're all part of a footballer's makeup.

In football, a high IQ usurps physical gifts, which renders your obsession with physical traits a nonsense.

In reality, you're more interested with a player's ''freakish physical'' genetics. I suspect you get lost watching footy.

It is entertaining watching you squirm and deflect. Can't wait to see how you try and avoid the question yet again.

You read. That's not the question.

Footy IQ, physical or mental? Your melbourne friend is too cowardly to amswer it, maybe you can for him.
You are asking a complete irrelevant question. Who cares?

Back