Cripps or Oliver.

Who is the better player

• P. Cripps

Votes: 329 55.8%
  • C. Oliver

Votes: 261 44.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not a different level, and it may even be close. But you're kidding yourself if you think Oliver is better. Cripps is better, not by much, but there is a difference.
He never said Oliver was better, you keep saying Cripps is better with no explanation.

Oliver is better than Cripps at attacking a contest from the outside getting in and getting the handball clean out to a teammate

Cripps is better than Oliver in close beating his opponent and then pushing out of the contest giving him space.

Oliver has a much more damaging kick.

Cripps has a fantastic overhead contested mark.

He never said Oliver was better, you keep saying Cripps is better with no explanation.

Oliver is better than Cripps at attacking a contest from the outside getting in and getting the handball clean out to a teammate

Cripps is better than Oliver in close beating his opponent and then pushing out of the contest giving him space.

Yeah FWIW I don't believe Oliver is "better". There isn't a metric that can clearly seperate them ATM, given how close they are statistically.

Of course, stats don't measure influence, but that is where subjectivity comes into the argument. They are similar players, albeit the points of difference you've listed. Comes down to what you personally value more, I suppose.

Cripps is bigger, stronger, and the better contested possession player.

Oliver is sensational in the areas I just said cripps is better in.

Oliver has unbelievable hands, no-one works better in a phone box under pressure, Oliver is faster with a better kick.

Cripps is unsurpassed in some aspects as an inside mid, but Oliver has a more rounded game.

Cripps is in his 5th season and Oliver just his third.

Take your pick.

At Melbourne, we already have Viney, who's an inside beast, Brayshaw, whose clearance and inside work is A-grade, Jones, who can muscle around contests, and Dom Tyson, who's best work is done inside.

For the balance of our midfield Oliver is a better fit, but for many clubs Cripps would be the difference between the holy grail and falling short.

Cripps is a better leader and the sort of player who puts his club on his back and says follow me. We don't need Oliver to do that, but in his own way Oliver always stands up even if he's had a quiet quarter.

Cripps is better inside, Oliver better outside.

Give the two a 50/50 ball to win and Cripps' size puts him at an advantage.

Give the two a loose ball to chase, or need to spread and Oliver's speed puts him at an advantage.

What separates them at the moment is Cripps' potential as a forward - he's got the contested marking and is just starting to get the goalkicking. If Oliver can improve his height he can get there too as he reads the play as well as any.

Last edited:

Oliver has unbelievable hands, no-one works better in a phone box under pressure, Oliver is faster with a better kick.

Cripps is unsurpassed in some aspects as an inside mid, but Oliver has a more rounded game.

Take your pick.

At Melbourne, we already have Viney, who's an inside beast, Brayshaw, whose clearance and inside work is A-grade, Jones, who can muscle around contests, and Dom Tyson, who's best work is done inside.

For the balance of our midfield Oliver is a better fit, but for many clubs Cripps would be the difference between the holy grail and falling short.

Cripps is a better leader and the sort of player who puts his club on his back and says follow me. We don't need Oliver to do that, but in his own way Oliver always stands up even if he's had a quiet quarter.
I really wish we had Gawn and Oliver to pair with Cripps to see what that could do. 90% of centre clearances would be won.

Too early to judge based on a few years.
Win a few more all australians each and we should know better.

And even if Cripps is the best player in the competition, no point if you can't win a few more games.

Clayton Oliver is 21 years old and has played 57 games

* Has been All Australian
* Has won the AFLCA Young Player of the Year award
* Has won a b&f in a team that just missed the finals (It is worth noting that he carried this midfield on his own)
* Will finish top 2 in another b&f (this time in a finals team)
* Has 2 top 7 finishes in the AFLCA award (5th & 7th)

Now it is subjective as who is better. However considering Oliver is 2 years younger and had Cripps covered in a lot of the key stats there is no way the poll should be favouring Cripps by such an extreme margin
Its just that most people think Cripps is a little bit better.

Its consistent with the AFLCA votes as well as AFLPA votes.

No one aside from biased supporters would think there is much between them.

Take your pick.

Fairly balanced post. Well done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see it as a lot of youthful ignorance. I think give him 5-6 years and he'll mature into a semi-decent guy. got to cut out those flops though.
I don’t think he’s done one flop or one act of floggness during games or socials media or anywhere the past 12 months.

impossible to tell who will become better, what if cripps had gawn tapping it to him all the time? would his stats improve? or if oliver had a good but significantly worse and very injury prone ruckman in kruezer will olivers stats still be the same?

In a 9 game stretch last year (Oliver’s 2nd season) when Gawn did not play and Spencer 1.5 games and Pedersen 7 these were Oliver’s stats.

27.3 disposals.
13.9 contrasted posessions.
6.8 clearances.

I don’t think he’s done one flop or one act of floggness during games or socials media or anywhere the past 12 months.
That's surprising. Guess it takes some time for the public to forgive such disgusting behaviour.

At least he was very young and that can be written off as the "sins of youth". Unlike someone like Rance who carries that stain despite achieving great accolades.

impossible to tell who will become better, what if cripps had gawn tapping it to him all the time? would his stats improve? or if oliver had a good but significantly worse and very injury prone ruckman in kruezer will olivers stats still be the same?
One tactic that opposition often employ is whacking it away from cripps, not even trying to direct it to their teammates...such is Crippa's absolute dominance.

Having Gawn tap it down to him would surely help in this regard - but the Dees fans are correct in that Oliver is elite whether he has Gawn or not (but probably slightly more elite with Gawn).

That's surprising. Guess it takes some time for the public to forgive such disgusting behaviour.

At least he was very young and that can be written off as the "sins of youth". Unlike someone like Rance who carries that stain despite achieving great accolades.
Disgusting behaviour lol.

Rance is a champion

Oliver was just as good last year when there was no Gawn.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You thought his flopping was ok? how blind can you be?
Never said it was ok, but using the term disgusting lol. A few dives from Rance doesn’t change the perception he’s still a champion.

Never said it was ok, but using the term disgusting lol. A few dives from Rance doesn’t change the perception he’s still a champion.
Fair enough, I guess call it what you will - "poor" is the best I can do lol.

Both are legitimately amazing players. With my team out of the running been nice to watch 3 of the 4 matches just for the footy.

Happy if anyone but Collingwood wins it tbh!!

Back