Votes: 329 55.8%
  • C. Oliver

Votes: 261 44.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Roar's top 50 players for 2018

10. Patrick Cripps, Carlton
Last year – NA

An absolute bull and a player who will inspire his teammates for years to come. His size is an unstoppable asset, both at ground level and in marking contests. Though a tackling machine, Cripps struggles defensively when the ball leaves the stoppage, without having the speed to chase, which meant I placed him at ten, perhaps lower than most.

5. Clayton Oliver, Melbourne
Last year – 21

There’s not much this young man can’t do. Wins a heap at the coal face, bursts away with pace, generally kicks the ball well, tackles ferociously, has brilliant spatial awareness, and can take a contested mark up forward. Three fine finals performances topped off an excellent year, in which he just didn’t play a bad game.

The Roar's top 50 players for 2018

10. Patrick Cripps, Carlton
Last year – NA

An absolute bull and a player who will inspire his teammates for years to come. His size is an unstoppable asset, both at ground level and in marking contests. Though a tackling machine, Cripps struggles defensively when the ball leaves the stoppage, without having the speed to chase, which meant I placed him at ten, perhaps lower than most.

5. Clayton Oliver, Melbourne
Last year – 21

There’s not much this young man can’t do. Wins a heap at the coal face, bursts away with pace, generally kicks the ball well, tackles ferociously, has brilliant spatial awareness, and can take a contested mark up forward. Three fine finals performances topped off an excellent year, in which he just didn’t play a bad game.

1. Getting desperate to quote these bums don't ya think?
  2. Not just a bum paper, a guy whose job title is "Roar Rookie"!
  3. Even this rookie admits his rating of Cripps is "perhaps lower than most", noting he is in the minority.
Conclusion: Let it rest. Olly needs to have a big 2019 to start to close the gap.

1. Getting desperate to quote these bums don't ya think?
  2. Not just a bum paper, a guy whose job title is "Roar Rookie"!
  3. Even this rookie admits his rating of Cripps is "perhaps lower than most", noting he is in the minority.
Conclusion: Let it rest. Olly needs to have a big 2019 to start to close the gap.

What gap?

732d6d3dfc5ad55208ed678b2eb9a2d4.png

Any 'gap' is miniscule at best.

Do you always denigrate those with opinions that don't coincide with yours ?

It's the knee-jerk response from non critical thinking people.
Ummm he just rekt you mate.

As a person who presumably views yourself as a critical thinking person, whose opinion/ranking do you give more weight to?

Option 1: The Roar Rookie? Their opinion: Oliver is better

Option 2: The AFL MVP, Brownlow votes, AFLCA? Their opinion: Cripps is better

Look forward to your answer bud!

Do you always denigrate those with opinions that don't coincide with yours ?

It's the knee-jerk response from non critical thinking people.

Huh? So I’m a non critical thinker because I assessed the source of the list rather than just gobbling it up as meaningful? Sorry bud, but you’ve got this critical thinking thing all backwards.

The guy that wrote that “article” is 19-20yo and doesn’t appear to have any particular credentials other than being a dude who posted his opinion online. Sounds an awful lot like the equivalent of a BF poster to me. I struggle to see how that’s denegrating him, unless I’m also denigrating myself.

Huh? So I’m a non critical thinker because I assessed the source of the list rather than just gobbling it up as meaningful? Sorry bud, but you’ve got this critical thinking thing all backwards.

The guy that wrote that “article” is 19-20yo and doesn’t appear to have any particular credentials other than being a dude who posted his opinion online. Sounds an awful lot like the equivalent of a BF poster to me. I struggle to see how that’s denegrating him, unless I’m also denigrating myself.
You're dismissing the article on nothing more than the author and publication.

It's about as pointless as you can get.

You're dismissing the article on nothing more than the author and publication.

Lol. I can just see you in defence of a thesis, accusing the panel of being non-critical thinkers for questioning that Cleo article you cited that was written by a teenage girl.

Of course the publication matters. Of course the credentials of the author matter. How bizarre you bring up critical thinking and then undermine its very basis.

Lol. I can just see you in defence of a thesis, accusing the panel of being non-critical thinkers for questioning that Cleo article you cited that was written by a teenage girl.

Of course the publication matters. Of course the credentials of the author matter. How bizarre you bring up critical thinking and then undermine its very basis.
If you bothered to read the article it's a good list with well articulated reasoning.

Something you're seemingly Ill-equipped to replicate.

I'll take your word on Cleo magazines though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you bothered to read the article it's a good list with well articulated reasoning.

Something you're seemingly Ill-equipped to replicate.

Yeah nah. Average list. Start a Higgins vs Cripps poll for a measure of just how average it is.

I’m still laughing over your concept of critical thinking being to not question a source’s author and publication, so it’s kinda hard to take you seriously right now.

Yeah nah. Average list. Start a Higgins vs Cripps poll for a measure of just how average it is.

I’m still laughing over your concept of critical thinking being to not question a source’s author and publication, so it’s kinda hard to take you seriously right now.
You couldn't form an argument if your life depended on it.

It's not. It's lazy and disingenuous.

It's typical Leftist thinking. So if you're a Leftist it would explain much.

Wtf are you on about? What does this have to do with politics beyond throwing around ridiculous buzzwords? The credibility of sources matters, left or right. In this case, it’s an opinion piece so it matters less

Wtf are you on about? What does this have to do with politics beyond throwing around ridiculous buzzwords? The credibility of sources matters, left or right. In this case, it’s an opinion piece so it matters less
Haha

It's classic Leftism. Don't attack the view, attack the person with the view.

Don't attack the content, attack the character.

If you don't agree with an opinion then win the battle of ideas, don't try and win the argument by belittling the author.

Last edited:
Haha

It's classic Leftism. Don't attack the view, attack the person with the view.

Don't attack the content, attack the character.

If you don't agree with an opinion then win the battle of ideas, don't try and win the argument by belittling the author.
You're quite clearly contradicting yourself here

Back