Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
Cripps wins, but not "comfortably".

Clayton Oliver is 2 years younger than Cripps and had dual shoulder reconstruction at the end of 2018, which interrupted his preseason. Yet he still won Melbournes B&F in 2019. Kid is underated on this forum, the only midfielders under 25 I'd take before him are Cripps & Bont (probably Rowell on potential and you could make a case for McCluggage). He does have obvious flaws in his game though, which is probably why he isn't rated as highly. He is a beautiful kick of the ball but often doesn't look and bombs away. Also needs to also kick more goals like Bont, Rowell & McCluggage to be more damaging. However, his hands are possibly the best in the game (or very close). Best midfielder I've seen at Melbourne in my time and the kids only 22.

Oliver was in the AA squad last year and has been massive in the first 2 games this year

Cripps has been ordinary for 18 months now

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Interesting to learn that Cripps is being injected weekly to play through a mystery injury. He's looked flat so far this year, and I was wondering if he'd mentally checked out a bit at the Blues. Hope they give him time off to rest up and recover for his sake.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
IMO a better comparison would be Cripps and Woewodin.

Both had great seasons before becoming exceptionally average.
Woey got to 200 games though, not bad for someone drafted his age. Won a Brownlow too from memory.

Reckon "Crippa" would be lucky to get to 150 at the rate he's regressing.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
IMO a better comparison would be Cripps and Woewodin.

Both had great seasons before becoming exceptionally average.
Woey got to 200 games though, not bad for someone drafted his age. Won a Brownlow too from memory.

Reckon "Crippa" would be lucky to get to 150 at the rate he's regressing.

#NuffiesOnAFLPages

#

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cripps wins, but not "comfortably".

Clayton Oliver is 2 years younger than Cripps and had dual shoulder reconstruction at the end of 2018, which interrupted his preseason. Yet he still won Melbournes B&F in 2019. Kid is underated on this forum, the only midfielders under 25 I'd take before him are Cripps & Bont (probably Rowell on potential and you could make a case for McCluggage). He does have obvious flaws in his game though, which is probably why he isn't rated as highly. He is a beautiful kick of the ball but often doesn't look and bombs away. Also needs to also kick more goals like Bont, Rowell & McCluggage to be more damaging. However, his hands are possibly the best in the game (or very close). Best midfielder I've seen at Melbourne in my time and the kids only 22.
It's time to revisit this

Lol this year certainly. Over their entire careers no.
Not 100% sure on entire career. This poll was made in 2018 when Oliver was still 20 years old. Both Cripps and Oliver made their first All Australian team and first 40 man squad that year. Cripps made the 2019 team while Oliver made the 40 man squad 2020.

Both have made the 40 man squad twice while Cripps the team both times to Oliver’s one. Oliver also unlucky to miss in 2017, came 7th in the coaches votes, not bad for his 2nd season.

300Weatherby

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GCS & Bianchi Cup
Oliver comfortably better over a longer period and has gone way past him already.

Shooter#17

Team Captain
May 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees, KC Chiefs
I was right 3 years ago, it's not even close anymore.

Back