Cripps or Oliver.

Who is the better player

• P. Cripps

Votes: 329 55.8%
  • C. Oliver

Votes: 261 44.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps is closer to Harmes. He shouldn't even be in the same sentence as Oliver. People just love Cripps because he is that prototype tall mid. The problem is he has terrible spread from the contest and defensively is horrific.
Patrick Cripps who was AFL MVP and 2nd in Coaches award, 3rd in the Brownlow... best clearance player in the league at the time... Is closer to James Harmes...

Jee I guess lockdowns really did have a detrimental effect on childrens educations.

Patrick Cripps who was AFL MVP and 2nd in Coaches award, 3rd in the Brownlow... best clearance player in the league at the time... Is closer to James Harmes...

Jee I guess lockdowns really did have a detrimental effect on childrens educations.

Yeah but his last 2 years, the most relevant year his flaws have been exposed. The game is quick each year and it exposes Cripps defensively.

Yeah but his last 2 years, the most relevant year his flaws have been exposed. The game is quick each year and it exposes Cripps defensively.

These are just excuses for Cripps. He doesnt work as hard as he used to off field. Gone from a top 5 mid to not a top 50 mid in 2 years.

Agreed. He isn't a guy that I even worry about anymore. He is terrible on the spread. By off-field you mean, in pre-season?
Apparently he didnt have much of a pre season but frankly there was too much spin from the club this year to know what was going on. Last year he injured his shoulder quite badly and this year fractured his back. As someone whos played through injuries I can understand how it may come across as looking lazy on the spread etc, but just as easily im a lazy player and do the same crap when im fully fit.

Talk was he also had a big falling out with Teague and that effected his play, but only time will tell under with a new coaching panel. I've moved on to Walsh these days because much like you believe, Cripps isnt much of an issue for opposition teams anymore. Cripps at his best was quite explosive and could close space on his opponents to lay tackles and defensive pressure but after the last 2 years if he doesnt win the ball at the stoppage he is next to useless in general play and in defensive transition. This year will show his true colours as someone who has let years and years of losses get to him, or he may rise back up to an elite mid in the comp.

Apparently he didnt have much of a pre season but frankly there was too much spin from the club this year to know what was going on. Last year he injured his shoulder quite badly and this year fractured his back. As someone whos played through injuries I can understand how it may come across as looking lazy on the spread etc, but just as easily im a lazy player and do the same crap when im fully fit.

Talk was he also had a big falling out with Teague and that effected his play, but only time will tell under with a new coaching panel. I've moved on to Walsh these days because much like you believe, Cripps isnt much of an issue for opposition teams anymore. Cripps at his best was quite explosive and could close space on his opponents to lay tackles and defensive pressure but after the last 2 years if he doesnt win the ball at the stoppage he is next to useless in general play and in defensive transition. This year will show his true colours as someone who has let years and years of losses get to him, or he may rise back up to an elite mid in the comp.

Yeah,and it's not like he is carrying excess weight or anything. I think his pre-season training just needs to be tailored heavy toward 5-20m explosiveness.

Oliver has no overtaken him

Your either a Carlton supporter or delusional if you think Cripps is superior

Lol. I'd prefer Harmes over Cripps. To compare Cripps to Oliver is blasphemy of the highest order.
What, James Harmes?

Of course you'd prefer him over Cripps. Wouldn't everyone?

AFL ratings have * all between them, their stats are pretty equal.

Harmes is a great tagger tho, while the only thing Cripps is great at is making excuses for poor form and going missing when it matters.

What, James Harmes?

Of course you'd prefer him over Cripps. Wouldn't everyone?

AFL ratings have fu** all between them, their stats are pretty equal.

Harmes is a great tagger tho, while the only thing Cripps is great at is making excuses for poor form and going missing when it matters.

Yeah, I wasn't even joking. I'd probably have Cripps and tell him to get the F out of the midfield, you can play deep forward. no way he makes our midfield rotation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now: Oliver. Obviously. He's the best inside mid in the game.

3-4 years ago Crippa was ******* unreal. People seem to forget that. Single handedly kept Carlton in games at times. It'll be good for footy if Crippa can get back to near his best unfortunately I think he either needs a change of role or a change of club. Seems cooked.

Now: Oliver. Obviously. He's the best inside mid in the game.

3-4 years ago Crippa was ******* unreal. People seem to forget that. Single handedly kept Carlton in games at times. It'll be good for footy if Crippa can get back to near his best unfortunately I think he either needs a change of role or a change of club. Seems cooked.
I watched Cripps closely v the Eagles last year and he looked like the worst player in the competition. At one point, when jogging backwards to take a free kick, he fell over not once but twice. Splat splat. Horrible stuff.

Best way to destroy a good player is to make him play with a serious injury, can't help thinking that has happened here, he used to be top shelf.

I watched Cripps closely v the Eagles last year and he looked like the worst player in the competition. At one point, when jogging backwards to take a free kick, he fell over not once but twice. Splat splat. Horrible stuff.

Best way to destroy a good player is to make him play with a serious injury, can't help thinking that has happened here, he used to be top shelf.
That's what happens when ur clubs are rabble and ur left with a coach fighting for his future with added pressure from the media unfortunately...

There were about 5 or 6 blokes I can think of off the top of my head who were well under done and being played last year. Cripps being the worst as his best as a player was in the top 5 of the league

Think that's genuinely why most blues fans have so much resentment towards Teague tbh. Was clear as day he was cooked but week after week he was named and played.

That being said... Cripps himself shouldn't have been putting his name up, he's become a sad story for the footy world and nobody knows if he'll get back to his best

I'm not sad at all.

But if you had any integrity you would change your vote.
Why would I change my vote? One used to be the better player and now it's flipped. Who's to say Cripps doesn't miraculously return to form and outperform Oliver this year?

I don't think it will happen but one can't rule it out until they call time on their careers

Why would I change my vote? One used to be the better player and now it's flipped. Who's to say Cripps doesn't miraculously return to form and outperform Oliver this year?

I don't think it will happen but one can't rule it out until they call time on their careers
so you are keeping your vote for the guy who you do not think will over take the better footballer?

so you are keeping your vote for the guy who you do not think will over take the better footballer?
I'll change my vote if their form continues this way until they both retire. At the time Cripps was a better player and nobody knows what's going to happen from here on out.

Given it's a fluid comparison I have no reason to change my vote until they call it time on their careers when it's easier to assess as they have no more history to write.

That's what happens when ur clubs are rabble and ur left with a coach fighting for his future with added pressure from the media unfortunately...

There were about 5 or 6 blokes I can think of off the top of my head who were well under done and being played last year. Cripps being the worst as his best as a player was in the top 5 of the league

Think that's genuinely why most blues fans have so much resentment towards Teague tbh. Was clear as day he was cooked but week after week he was named and played.

That being said... Cripps himself shouldn't have been putting his name up, he's become a sad story for the footy world and nobody knows if he'll get back to his best

Yeah not trying to be a campaigner but as much as Teague might have wanted him to play, Cripps isn't a kid anymore and would be able to say 'no I'm not good to go'. 2022 is huge for his career direction, can he return to superstar status or is he just a good solid player at best from here on out?

Yeah not trying to be a campaigner but as much as Teague might have wanted him to play, Cripps isn't a kid anymore and would be able to say 'no I'm not good to go'. 2022 is huge for his career direction, can he return to superstar status or is he just a good solid player at best from here on out?
Mate completely agree with you on that. I was screaming at my TV all year yelling that a good captain would bench themselves until they are 100%. Its just as much on Teague as it is on Cripps. No word of a lie Matt Kennedy made Cripps look 2nd rate last year with spread and pressure around the contest and it was just shambolic to watch.

If he doesnt find form (maybe not his absolute peak 2018-19 form) this season I'll be very concerned that the damage to his body is irreparable. I think a realistic expectation is returning to A grade without ever returning to being a top 5 player but it could go either way. As someone who watched him last year, he could still do some of the magic stuff he used to... but he just cannot spread at all or get involved in chains of play like he used to. It was clearance/contested ball or bust.

Back